Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Nope, they'd be dead to me. My family moved to Denver in 1978, and I grew up with broncomania. Been through all the SB drubbings and the steady progression to perennial contender. My love of the Broncos is wrapped up in my love for CO and Denver. I'd probably become a casual observer of the NFL.

It's a very hypothetical question at this point. The Denver Broncos haven't had consecutive losing seasons since 1972. Mile High Stadium has been sold out since 1970 and went through numerous remodels and expansions before being replaced by the current facility. The citizens of the Denver area will probably vote for anything they think would keep the Broncos in Denver. Losing the Broncos is unthinkable.

The closest the Broncos came to moving happened in the Sixties when they couldn't sign their top draft picks who opted to play in the NFL. The common draft probably saved the Broncos when they drafted Floyd Little in 1967. Bronco fans had someone to cheer for the next six years before the first winning season. For that reason he is called "The Franchise", and John Elway called him " ... the greatest Bronco."

I sympathize with the OP's dilemma. It is very sad to me that the Chargers are leaving San Diego.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Although I live nowhere close to Denver (Quebec, Canada), and have been a fan since 1984 I think I can honestly say I probably would not continue to be a fan.

I was a huge Montreal Expos fan, and again although I didn't grow up or ever live in Montreal, once that team moved that was it for me. I thought I would be a Nats fan, I even tried the first couple of years but it was a non starter. In fact I stopped watching baseball all together not long after the Expos left Montreal only occasionally being interested if the Blue Jays were making some noise.

So I think for me, without Denver the Broncos are not the same franchise. I am more of an NFL fan than I was an MLB fan so I would more than likely continue to be a fan of the league...

nope I would not be. been here for all of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissMarty View Post
    Hi Broncos fans,

SAN DIEGO Chargers fan here, dealing with the devastation of having my heart ripped out yesterday. I am trying to figure out what to do. I am devastated by the move. On the other hand, I have followed and loved my team through thick and thin (mostly thin) for 30 years, and I could never root for another team. I just could not do it. I am considering remaining a fan and just trying to ignore the fact that they no longer represent my city.

So I thought I would reach out and ask all of you what you would do if you were in my situation. Obviously, the Broncos will never leave Denver, and so you will never have to worry about being in my situation. But if, God forbid, the unthinkable happened and the Broncos moved to a new city, what would you do? What should I do?

Thank you all.
    It would depend. If they say, became the "Colorado" Broncos playing out of metro Denver ..or moved cities like the chargers did to be the "Colorado Springs" Broncos (that would never happen but you get my point)...I'd remain a fan. They're still a Colorado team. Now if they moved and became the "San Antonio" Broncos then no, it takes away the nostalgia. For me, it's the tie to Denver and the sense of community among fans in Denver followed by the team name of Broncos. So if the San Diego part and life in San Diego is your connection I could see, but they're just moving less than 2hrs away (4 with traffic lol). If they're smart they'll be the "California" Chargers or something of that nature to make San Diego fans not feel excluded as they would with the "LA" title

Hi Broncos fans,

SAN DIEGO Chargers fan here, dealing with the devastation of having my heart ripped out yesterday. I am trying to figure out what to do. I am devastated by the move. On the other hand, I have followed and loved my team through thick and thin (mostly thin) for 30 years, and I could never root for another team. I just could not do it. I am considering remaining a fan and just trying to ignore the fact that they no longer represent my city.

So I thought I would reach out and ask all of you what you would do if you were in my situation. Obviously, the Broncos will never leave Denver, and so you will never have to worry about being in my situation. But if, God forbid, the unthinkable happened and the Broncos moved to a new city, what would you do? What should I do?

Thank you all.
    No way. I was born in the Panhandle and cannot Imagine supporting them if they moved. Matter of fact, keep the Chargers in SD, the Raiders in Oakland, and BRING BACK Seattle to the AFC West where they belong!!! While your at it, bring back the old Orange Crush Unis too!

I really would depend on where the team moved if ever. Anywhere in the midwest and I would probably be a fan but if it was somewhere East or West coast I would rethink my thoughts at that time.
    https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/s4pltBb35iBlrpYyfA6PTSXU4bI=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2924184/cj.0.gif

Yes

10 characters

Yes, but I'm not a local. If you are a Charger fan, the team is still close enough to go see them and support them at least until SD got a new team anyway. I have always cheered Broncos as they are in the Rockies. If they left the Rockies I wouldn't relate to the team and demographic of fans though so it would be a tough call.

I would keep cheering for the Broncos. After graduating school I moved and never returned to Colorado other than to visit. So, I don't think it would have the same impact as living in a city with the team moving somewhere else.

Way too much change, unnecessary to me. Las Vegas Raiders? LA Chargers?? What's next??? How about the NFL just put KC, Denver, Dallas, and Houston in a division together now??? The NFL makes less sense every year! Mark my words. With the way Hit, I mean Goodell is going, there will be European NFL teams, and PAY PER VIEW games and Super Bowls coming!!!! It is all about the $$$$$$$!

I'm a Denver Bronco fan. I can not imagine rooting for like say St Louis Broncos. I feel for Charger fans, they should have stayed in SD. Even Oakland should find a way to make it work. These team owners don't realize what effect they have on people. As with everything else in this world all you have to do is follow the money. Everyone makes decisions based on the amount of money that is involved. The Broncos got there new stadium in 01, so they should be good for another 25+ years, which seems to be the motivating factor with teams. When teams move there is no guarantee of the name staying the same. Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Oilers for 3 years while a stadium was being built and then became the Titans. All of that was over the team wanting a new stadium.

Hi Broncos fans,

Thank you all.
    Fair question, and I am sorry that you and your S.D.C. peers are the ones to suffer the most in this....
    To answer your question, without hesitancy I would say "NO. No I would not still be a fan.", I would of course be a fan of certain individual players who are part of the move, that favoritism would not fade. But the identity of the "Denver" Bronco's would not exist anymore, so why follow?

I follow a spirit, an identity. The Denver Broncos, are more than just a team of men who come and go over the years, it is the magic that Denver and the Rockies radiate, it is the local fan base that breaths every bit of life into the identity that is the Denver Bronco's. And last, it is the ownership and how the franchise is run. I cannot support a franchise that lets the inmates run the asylum, or let staff and players who have or are know to be less than good examples for society. No one is perfect, and people make mistakes, but a player with baggage can bring all the above down quickly. I want ownership and a franchise that not only wants to make a profit on their investments but also to win! Denver has been very fortunate in this for many years now, and I'll even say lucky to have the owner and operations we have. I am sorry to say that San Diego did not have this in Alex Spanos, whom I have always questioned his goals in ownership of the Chargers. Philip Rivers, is a QB from my alumni school (NC State, just as Russel Wilson is), and I follow their careers, and know many fellow alumni who have picked up the Chargers (and Seattle) as teams to follow. When the draft happend where you got RIvers, it was through a default because Eli Manning was the guy they wanted, but Eli (with advice from his father and other NFL members) refused to go to the Chargers because of the reputation of Spanos not investing in what it takes to win. I dare say, Rivers talent has been wasted at San Diego (Please, no offense). So I see no reason why you should continue to support a franchise that in essence, betrayed your loyalty.

I know this is hard, and what comes next is even harder given you having a history, but as I tell my poor, poor, misguided Raider fan friends (sad, but true), "Come over to the Denver side. Denver LOVES it's fans the machine that the Denver Bronco's are, always is working to provide a winning atmosphere for its fans. The concept of going almost 20 years of losing records (**coughcoughRaiderscough**) is so foreign and alien to us. I was not born a Bronco fan, in fact there were no close teams to root for growing up here in North Carolina, You had the Skins, and the Falcons, maybe Baltimore, and there was no connection to them other than TV. In '72 my Dad moved to Colorado, and the rest is history. Been a die hard fan since '76. And in that entire time, the above "magic" has always been present there. even in the short down years, there was a winning attitude amongst the city and it's fans. So I reach out to you with the hand of friendship and the joy of pulling for a franchise that pulls for you.

P.S., rumor mills have cranked up again about Rivers not wanting to relocate to L.A., it had a while back been some speculation that Denver could be one of his landing zones, ALA the Peyton Manning maneuver all over again. I don't know if all that is possible, but if it happened... Would you root for the Broncos?

I'm not a fan of the city, I'm a fan of the team and the history the team (not the city) has. The city played a big part of it, but take the city away and it's still the Broncos.

I don't know.. and I've thought about this quite a bit reading through this thread.

I'm not living in Denver now.. haven't lived there since the 90's.

You would think I would be ok with the team moving.. right? I'm not so sure that I would.

It would depend on why the team moved and how acrimonious it was.
    If I felt the Denver fan base got the shaft, I would have a tough time following the team and continuing my support. Plus it would be weird.. it would take some getting used to and I just don't know how I would react.