Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos hire Jeff Davidson for Oline coach

We have our new O line coach.Yes that Jeff Davidson former Broncos player.

I know nothing about his ability to coach. Anyone got a skinny?

According to Sandy Clough, he's widely considered an all star coach by his peers throughout the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    According to Sandy Clough, he's widely considered an all star coach by his peers throughout the league.
    Sounds like a solid pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Sounds like a solid pick up.
    Oh yeah he also coached under Mike McCoy
    at one time in a power blocking scheme.

Oh yeah he also coached under Mike McCoy
    at one time in a power blocking scheme.
    Yay... more McCoy..

Quote Originally Posted by IAMRED View Post
    Yay... more McCoy..
    I left that part out purposely because I didn't want people to assume that it's more friendship hires. LOL

I left that part out purposely because I didn't want people to assume that it's more friendship hires. LOL

The guy got drafted as a player with us.Spent four years playing with the Denver Broncos then one year playing for the Saints and the next year due to injury was straight into coaching in New Orleans has been coaching in the NFL ever since 1995(22 years)and is only 49 years old.Certainly has experience if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
    The guy got drafted as a player with us.Spent four years playing with the Denver Broncos then one year playing for the Saints and the next year due to injury was straight into coaching in New Orleans has been coaching in the NFL ever since 1995(22 years)and is only 49 years old.Certainly has experience if nothing else.
    Oh I know he has the experience that's why I elected to leave the part out about him coaching under McCoy. People tend not to realize or see the bigger picture they just hear the little things or connections and then assume the rest to be some sort of conspiracy.

"Not only is Davidson a familiar face for the Broncos, he has turned into one of the better and more respected Offensive Line Coaches in the league. Davidson is also reuniting with newly hired Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy. He also served as McCoy's Offensive Line Coach for the San Diego Chargers in 2016 so the familiarity continues.

"Davidson's track record is pretty impressive as well. It seems like wherever he lands, that teams run game improves.

"Last season San Diego Chargers running back Melvin Gordon had a breakout season where he totaled 997 yards in 11 starts, and also had 10 rushing touchdowns. Davidson was the Minnesota Vikings Offensive Line Coach from 2011 to 2015 and during that span, the Vikings rushed for the second most yards per game(138.1 yards). He also was the Offensive line coach for Adrian Peterson's 2,000-yard rushing season. Davidson was the Carolina Panthers Offensive Coordinator from 2007-2010 and they averaged 134.5 yards rushing during that span. Davidson had the duo of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart running the ball back in those days. So if this trend continues, the Broncos rush game should improve with Davidson's offensive line blocking for them.

"The addition of Davidson also means the Broncos are officially moving away from Gary Kubiak's zone scheme. He runs more of a power blocking scheme and this should benefit two young Broncos guards the most. Both Max Garcia and Connor McGovern has bigger/more powerful blockers who should thrive in this scheme.

"I would like to see the Broncos sign a guard this offseason to fill one of the starting guard spots and allow Garcia and McGovern to battle for one starting job.

"Now this move also hurts some of the Broncos current offensive linemen. It likely signals the end of Donald Stephenson's unsuccessful tenure with the team and could put Ty Sambrailo on the roster bubble. Ty's game was never about power so he could be outs because of this(and his awful play).

"I was concerned about center Matt Paradis in a power scheme, but thankfully a friend of the site Brandon Thorn eased my concerns by telling me that Paradis is capable in a power scheme as well. So Paradis should continue being of the league's best centers even after this scheme change."

from: http://www.milehighreport.com/2017/1...ive-line-coach
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

Oh I know he has the experience that's why I elected to leave the part out about him coaching under McCoy. People tend not to realize or see the bigger picture they just hear the little things or connections and then assume the rest to be some sort of conspiracy.
    Yes so true.Vance Joseph is a good example.I like Vance as coach but just because someone may say they do not agree with the Vance Joseph selection you get all kinds of funny accusations and "labels".Attention people just cause someone doesnt agree with you doesnt make them evil and some kind of hater.

"Davidson typically runs a power-blocking scheme rather than the zone-blocking scheme the Broncos ran under Gary Kubiak over the past two seasons. Joseph has stressed the value of flexibility and adjusting schemes to players rather than the other way around.

"The Broncos may not do a complete shift from Kubiak’s zone scheme to Davidson’s power scheme, but there will certainly be more power blocking than in previous years. That could benefit players such as 2016 fifth-round pick Connor McGovern, who may be the Broncos’ strongest player but was inactive for every game last season.

"The Broncos are looking for Davidson to improve an offensive line that has struggled for two seasons to both pass block and run block. The offensive line allowed 40 sacks in 2016, ninth most in the NFL. They also ranked 27th in the NFL in rushing offense while producing 92.8 rushing yards a game.

"The Chargers’ offensive line was only slightly better last season, allowing 36 sacks and ranking 26th in rushing offense. Davidson did have a lot of success in other stops including Minnesota (2011-15), where his offensive line paved the way for three top-five rushing offenses.

Fans in Denver may remember Davidson from his playing days. He was on the offensive line for the Broncos from 1990-93."

from: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/14...ve-line-coach/
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    The Broncos may not do a complete shift from Kubiak’s zone scheme to Davidson’s power scheme, but there will certainly be more power blocking than in previous years.
    Broncos are also hiring John Benton as Asst OLine Coach. He was Kubiak's Oline coach in Houston. Might support the idea of a more blended system vs. straight power scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    "Davidson typically runs a power-blocking scheme rather than the zone-blocking scheme the Broncos ran under Gary Kubiak over the past two seasons. Joseph has stressed the value of flexibility and adjusting schemes to players rather than the other way around.

"The Broncos may not do a complete shift from Kubiak’s zone scheme to Davidson’s power scheme, but there will certainly be more power blocking than in previous years. That could benefit players such as 2016 fifth-round pick Connor McGovern, who may be the Broncos’ strongest player but was inactive for every game last season.

"The Broncos are looking for Davidson to improve an offensive line that has struggled for two seasons to both pass block and run block. The offensive line allowed 40 sacks in 2016, ninth most in the NFL. They also ranked 27th in the NFL in rushing offense while producing 92.8 rushing yards a game.

"The Chargers’ offensive line was only slightly better last season, allowing 36 sacks and ranking 26th in rushing offense. Davidson did have a lot of success in other stops including Minnesota (2011-15), where his offensive line paved the way for three top-five rushing offenses.

Fans in Denver may remember Davidson from his playing days. He was on the offensive line for the Broncos from 1990-93."

from: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/14...ve-line-coach/

I guess this poses the question "as of our current O line who would be the best 5 hopes in a power blocking scheme"???

Might be time to look at Ron Leary from Dallas and Kevin Zeitler from Cinci. as Free Agents. I'm hearing Zeitler is looking for a 5 year 45-50mil contract. Leary might be a little less expensive. Another option would be Louis Vasquez.