Page 37 of 97 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 ... LastLast
    I hope the best for PL, but I have a bad feeling about his injuries. He could be just to tall w/skinny legs to take the beating he will take in the NFL. Running to the sideline and acquiring an ankle injury from just the run itself, tells me his legs may be problematic. Anyway, this will be his yr. to get it right.... but I don't think he will. To little to late.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    In a perfect world every player comes in with a strong work ethic, and every player develops quickly. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and it takes some people longer to learn the work ethic (some don't learn it at all) and it takes some players years to develop, Denver's current starting QB being an example of that.
    Demanding and expecting that a player be willing to work extremely hard to improve is not a demand for perfection. If Lynch has not been willing to work that hard, it's because of a lack in him. No one ever said great players are "perfect", just far better at doing what it takes to succeed than Lynch.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    Demanding and expecting that a player be willing to work extremely hard to improve is not a demand for perfection. If Lynch has not been willing to work that hard, it's because of a lack in him. No one ever said great players are "perfect", just far better at doing what it takes to succeed than Lynch.
    I said "perfect world" not that anyone is demanding perfection of any player. Perfect world means everything goes the way we want, no hiccups.

And as I pointed out in another post, what he's been to this point is in the past, and this is his last chance. If he's learned to put in the work maybe he'll have a chance, if he isn't willing to do it then he won't.

Demanding that a player have at least a decent work ethic should be a requirement, not a perk. Who's going to want him, if he fails again this year?
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Demanding that a player have at least a decent work ethic should be a requirement, not a perk. Who's going to want him, if he fails again this year?
    Again in a perfect world every player comes in with the work ethic of Peyton Manning, but that's not reality. More players than Paxton Lynch have come in with a questionable work ethic, and most of them wash out of the league. But then some get it (*Steve Young and Bret Favre* being two extreme examples in the positive). At this point worrying about what Lynch hasn't been or done the last two years doesn't matter. The only thing we can hope for is that this year that work ethic has been found. In two weeks we'll get a glimpse.

And as you hinted, and several of us have said, it's his last chance if he wants to be an NFL player.

*Not comparing Lynch in any way to these two players, just pointing out two examples of the rare cases where guys have gotten it and excelled once they do. It's not common, but it does happen.

Ultimately, this maturity/work ethic issue falls on the Broncos for not scouting the player properly or, if they did, for ignoring the red flags because of the physical tools. It's not like this issue was a surprise, based on multiple sources. Cecil Lammey talked to scouts at the Senior Bowl that described Lynch as "aloof". Brandon Stokley talked to people in the NFL that described Lynch as a mix of Ryan Leaf and Ryan Mallett. Mark Schlereth said some teams took Lynch off the board after interviewing him and learning that he does not have a "Type-A" personality to be a franchise QB. Cecil Lammey also said Lynch likes to stay in Florida, living with friends who are a bad influence, instead of being around the Broncos facility and it was even hard for the Broncos to communicate with Lynch. Lammey said things have changed this year and Lynch is trying to improve. We'll see.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Without having Peyton Manning's drive, which is unique, and even without having a mentor like Case Keenum, these are things that Paxton Lynch could have done, things that are pretty much common sense:

Rent or buy a home in Denver, stay in Denver as much as possible. During the offseason, find a local field to have some throwing sessions. Talk to your teammates, invite them to do some workouts together whenever they're around. Spend extra time with the coaches watching film to learn the playbook. Be one of the first players in, last players out of the building. At least check the hour when veteran players like Chis Harris arrive early to study film and try to do the same thing.

This is probably what most starting QBs do anyway. If Lynch had done such things, maybe there would not even be a QB competition. The Chiefs kept Mahomes strictly as a backup, Alex Smith had a great season, and now they're giving the job to Mahomes because of his maturity and work ethic, they know they can count on him. The same could have happened to Lynch, especially when we're dealing with Trevor Siemian instead of Alex Smith.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Rod~ definitely agree with you about the broncos scouting and ignoring red flags. May have something to do with how they drafted this year

Ugh still 16 days away...
    Glen Haven Fire

Very interesting posts, Rod. Too bad the Broncos didn't pay attention.

If I were to summarize:

Not a stretch to believe that every one of us expects Lynch to be responsible for his game, and to do everything possible to become a decent QB in this league. That's a given. Some of us object to dwelling on the fact that he cried about something that apparently frustrated him, and in fact, was an injury. It has been proven that other players, much better than him, have cried on the field over an array of things, and that some of them have cried because of injury. Those of us who appear supportive are merely stating that the act of crying is not something to make a fuss about.

So moving on....this is his chance, maybe his last chance, to show us all that he wants to be a Broncos QB. It's all on him. It always was, but in fairness, like any young player, it is also The Broncos responsibility to train, develop and mentor. That's the contract between player/employer.

So....why not see where this goes.

He probably winds up with the Patriots, and Josh McDaniels makes a decent quarterback out of him.
    (JMO)

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Cry me a river. When you get to the pros, you're supposed to be mature enough to handle responsibility on your own. You don't need someone holding your hand and babysitting you. What he should have done was hit the playbook and study videotape non-stop. It is sad about his injury, but that should have given him more motivation to succeed
    These guys are in there early twenties. they do need guidance.... just like you did my friend.
    Last edited by Tbrendal; 07-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    GO BRONCO'S !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tbrendal View Post
    These guys are in there early twenties. they do need guidance.... just like you did my friend.
    I don't recall anyone holding my hand in my 20s. By the time I was 15 I was riding my bike around town, putting applications to everyone who was currently hiring 15 year olds and I had my first job, by the time I was 17 I was paying my own insurance and had already paid off my first car (by myself) By the time I was in my 20's I was married and pulling down $16/HR. No one gave me guidance, no one held my hand, I put the work in because I wanted to succeed in life.

I don't see that kind of work ethic out of Paxton.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I don't recall anyone holding my hand in my 20s. By the time I was 15 I was riding my bike around town, putting applications to everyone who was currently hiring 15 year olds and I had my first job, by the time I was 17 I was paying my own insurance and had already paid off my first car (by myself) By the time I was in my 20's I was married and pulling down $16/HR. No one gave me guidance, no one held my hand, I put the work in because I wanted to succeed in life.

I don't see that kind of work ethic out of Paxton.
    Exactly - this is the type of work ethic needed to find success not just in the NFL, but anywhere in life. I don't want to come off as boasting, but I worked hard to get my Paramedic licenses, and then to get into college, and now into an anesthesiology program. It wasn't easy - I had to forsake friends, family events, better paying jobs, and nearly all of my hobbies to focus on what I knew was important. And, after all that, I'll only earn a fraction of Lynch will make in one contract year.

Paxton Lynch is in a position to become only 1 of the 32 starting QBs in the professional league, and paid more money than he'll ever make at another job. There are thousands of kids his age that would kill to be in the position he is in and with three times the heart. He just wasted all that effort and opportunity to the point now where it is very doubtful he'll even be on this team by 2020. I would feel more sympathy for him, but after realizing how much he is making for how little effort he is putting in prior to this off-season, I don't have any anymore. This is his last chance, and if he thinks that videogames, friends in Florida, and parties are more important then they'll still be there after he's out of the league by next season.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Exactly - this is the type of work ethic needed to find success not just in the NFL, but anywhere in life. I don't want to come off as boasting, but I worked hard to get my Paramedic licenses, and then to get into college, and now into an anesthesiology program. It wasn't easy - I had to forsake friends, family events, better paying jobs, and nearly all of my hobbies to focus on what I knew was important. And, after all that, I'll only earn a fraction of Lynch will make in one contract year.

Paxton Lynch is in a position to become only 1 of the 32 starting QBs in the professional league, and paid more money than he'll ever make at another job. There are thousands of kids his age that would kill to be in the position he is in and with three times the heart. He just wasted all that effort and opportunity to the point now where it is very doubtful he'll even be on this team by 2020. I would feel more sympathy for him, but after realizing how much he is making for how little effort he is putting in prior to this off-season, I don't have any anymore. This is his last chance, and if he thinks that videogames, friends in Florida, and parties are more important then they'll still be there after he's out of the league by next season.
    You fella's obviously have never had to deal with the so called "millenials"

I too had my first job when i was 14 years old. There was no cell phones or video games, internet.

Today's generation is different. Shoot its hard to find anybody that even wants to work anymore.
    GO BRONCO'S !!!!!