Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Look on the bright side folks as odds are that at least Lynch can't be any worse than Osweiler. Check out Brocks 2016 season stats:

28th in completion % at 58.5%
    Dead last in yards per pass thrown at 5.8
    29th in QB rating at 69.6

From a physical standpoint Lynch does have some advantages over Brock as well as Lynch certainly is more mobile QB and greater threat to scramble for yards also I think Lynch has a stronger arm than Osweiler. I'm not the first one to question Brock's arm strength as it was noted in this SI Monday Morning QB article prior to the game in Chicago last year:

"Osweiler wasn’t the most accurate passer at Arizona State (60.6%). He often struggled with a low release point (a strange problem for a tall QB). More concerning, his arm strength didn’t (and still doesn’t) match his size. He pushes the ball instead of driving it. There’s little snap to his motion; his passes don’t fly with tremendous energy. This, along with so-so accuracy, was on display in Osweiler’s mop-up work against the Chiefs last Sunday."

Considering how Brock Osweiler's career is going and also how much Paxton Lynch struggled this season, is it time to question if John Elway can really evaluate quarterbacks in the draft? Is it possible that maybe he focuses too much on size and physical tools and does not pay enough attention to accuracy, football IQ, etc?
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Considering how Brock Osweiler's career is going and also how much Paxton Lynch struggled this season, is it time to question if John Elway can really evaluate quarterbacks in the draft? Is it possible that maybe he focuses too much on size and physical tools and does not pay enough attention to accuracy, football IQ, etc?
    I dont really think he can evaluate offensive players period. You would think being a HOF QB he would know a thing or two about QBs and offensive players but you have to think about it like this.

He spent his entire career game planning for watching film on and scouting defenses and defensive players. So he pretty much knows what makes a good defender and what goes into a good defense. It explains why he hits on most of his defensive draft picks udfa's and free agents.

Just my thought it theory. Atleast he brought in some scouting help.

If anything, these recent moves at the coaching level will only help Lynch become more viable as a passer. From what I saw it would take another full season for him to learn Kubiak's offense, whereas now he gets to start over with Siemian. If McCoy could make the Broncos work with Tebow under center, he could do it with Lynch. I could be wrong, but my guess is that many of these moves made by Elway are with the intent to fully support Lynch going forward.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

So you're only going to bash Elway for his first and second round qb picks but not give him credit for the one he took in the 7th round?

Or is it time to realize that a single season of judging a qb is asinine and that truly evaluating and knowing how a qb will end up doing in the NFL is a complete crapshoot? If it wasn't, tom Brady wouldn't have went 6 rounds before he was picked. Selecting the right qb is more about getting lucky than anything. It's easy for anyone to say someone should have picked someone after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Unless I'm wrong, there really hasn't been even an average QB that was taller than 6"6'.... I think Erickson might be the only halfway decent tall
    QB?

We drafted Brock over Wilson and methinks we'll be saying the same thing (taking Lynch over DAk) in a few years.... we passed on a franchise QB for a pipe dream.

I was always hard on the Brock pick
    Bc I couldn't believe Lavonte David slid to us (and was shocked we passed him), but not surprised when David went right after we took Brock.
    What percentages of qb's that have played a down in the NFL have been considered good? Then what percentage of qb's have been more than 6'6? This is a rhetorical question because we can't possibly decide that. But, thinking of what the percentages could possibly be the way to understand why you don't see many over that height.

Instead of debating his height I think we should be bothered about the style of offence we are going to run this season personally I'd like us to go back to a more spread offence which is what Lynch is more used to and would play to his strengths. I think we might of thrown abit too much at him in his first year he had to learn a new offence with new terminology compared to what he knew, improve his footwork, work on his throwing motion, Learn to take snaps from under centre all while competing to try and be the starter that's quite a lot for a rookie lets atleast go back to something he knows so has less to think about.

Also not really fair to bash Elway about Lynch when Jerry Jones is on record saying he tried as hard as he could to get Lynch and valued him over Dak.

Elway is far from the only GM who was high on Lynch. We was just the winning GM in the trade scenarios. And if Lynch turns into a stud then this thread will be really silly in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Also not really fair to bash Elway about Lynch when Jerry Jones is on record saying he tried as hard as he could to get Lynch and valued him over Dak.

Elway is far from the only GM who was high on Lynch. We was just the winning GM in the trade scenarios. And if Lynch turns into a stud then this thread will be really silly in 5 years.
    It's also not fair to bash elway on lynch because he's played one season. My goodness, some people are ridiculous in their impatience.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Or is it time to realize that a single season of judging a qb is asinine and that truly evaluating and knowing how a qb will end up doing in the NFL is a complete crapshoot? If it wasn't, tom Brady wouldn't have went 6 rounds before he was picked. Selecting the right qb is more about getting lucky than anything. It's easy for anyone to say someone should have picked someone after the fact.
    1,663 yards, 7 TDs, 14 INTs, 47.5 completion %, 54.9. passer rating.

These are the rookie stats of one of the greatest QBs of all time, John Elway. I'm sure glad Denver didn't discard him after one year.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post

These are the rookie stats of one of the greatest QBs of all time, John Elway. I'm sure glad Denver didn't discard him after one year.
    The people on these boards would've been calling for the GMs head after that season.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post

But they made the investment in him because he was the #1 pick. Many people seem to be against that with lynch.

I don't think Lynch struggled as badly as we think.

In Tampa he was 14-24 for 170 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT (off the bench).

At home vs. Atlanta he was 23 of 35 for 223 yards, 65.7% comp, 1 TD and 1 INT. Some of the yards were late in the game. I think one of his deep throws was dropped - would have put the Broncos in scoring position to make the game close. Kubiak/Dennison called only 18 runs for Anderson/Booker - they failed to help Lynch. The line allowed 6 sacks and Vic Beasley had a free pass around our RT. Just for comparison, Russell Wilson was 17 of 30 for 225 yards, 56.6% comp, 2 TD and 2 INT against Atlanta on Saturday.

Lynch struggled in Jacksonville, 12 of 24 for 104 yards, 0 TD and 0 INT. We didn't have CJ, Bibbs went out after a 49 yard run and Janovich didn't play. Lynch was inaccurate and missed on some deep throws.

Too early to know whether or not Elway made the right decision.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 01-17-2017 at 10:16 PM.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mileh...?client=safari

Report: Broncos to give Paxton Lynch every opportunity to win starting job

According to Benjamin Allbright, that is the direction Denver will head at the quarterback position.

The Denver Broncos want to give Paxton Lynch “every opportunity to win the starting job.”

That is according to Mile High Sports’ Benjamin Allbright, who is one of the more trusted voices on the Broncos and NFL.

When you add the moves Vance Joseph and John Elway have made with the offensive coaching staff, you see how this is playing out. The additions of Mike McCoy and Bill Musgrave show how serious they are about this. The Broncos want to know what they have in Lynch, their No. 1 draft pick from 2016. And this is a sign that the Broncos want to figure it out now.

Musgrave commented in 2011 about the benefit of giving young quarterbacks big opportunities.

“Ideally, you would like to find a young guy that has a bunch of promise and potential and you would hand him the keys and let him make his mistakes and learn, but also know that he would be there for you in the long term,” he said just after being tapped as the Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator - a move made in part because of Musgrave’s work developing Matt Ryan with the Atlanta Falcons.

“I believe that will be one of our goals to identify any candidates that can fit that role, but at the same time be ready to find some other fellows that may have some experience, that can come in and be effective and also have some upside to them as well."

Allbright’s reporting was backed up by Mile High Sports’ Ronnie Kohrt, an executive producer at Mile High Sports. As Kohrt tweeted: “All of the Broncos eggs are in on Paxton Lynch. Put him on the fast track to start upcoming year. Time to shine now.”

The faster Elway and the Broncos know what they have in Lynch, the sooner they know what the future holds at the quarterback position.

Or as Darren McKee tweeted to MHR’s Scotty Payne: “If (Trevor Siemian) wins the job now, Lynch is an official bust.”

If all that wasn’t enough, Broncos Ring of Fame (and should be Hall of Fame) linebacker Karl Mecklenburg said in a Facebook post over the weekend the Broncos will move forward with Lynch.

“Mike McCoy is the new Broncos offensive coordinator. That hire would have not have happened without indicating to John Elway how he plans to use Paxton Lynch. Sorry Trevor Siemian, but you’re going to have a hard time winning your job back,” Mecklenburg wrote.

“John Elway spent a first-round draft choice on Paxton Lynch, and sees some of himself in the hard-throwing athletic quarterback.”

Since the Broncos have brought in new coaches, there has been talk about the new offense and what that means for the quarterbacks - especially Lynch. How will he respond? Will he be able to grasp the changes? How effective will he be? Will it be too much?

We get an indication of how Musgrave may approach that with this quote from the same story in 2011 on his coaching strategy at the time.

“We'll make it very streamlined,” he said then. “We'll make the formations easy to learn for the guys, because I believe in players playing fast. We don't want them out there thinking what word was used for this or that."

That follows suit with what Joseph said he wants from Denver’s offense.

“I want an offense that is attacking,” he said in his initial news conference. “Being a defensive guy my entire career, only 14 seasons, when you play an offense that is attacking, it makes you be careful of your calls. If an offense was conservative, I loved it because I can be the attacker. But if the offense was attacking, with multiple personnel groups and all types of formations, that is what I want them to look like.

“I want to score points. Points win. Obviously defense wins championships, but you have to score points. I want an offense with swagger and I want an offense that’s up-tempo and has a chance to score a lot of points.”

All the signs show the Broncos are all in on Lynch and giving him every opportunity to become the Broncos starting quarterback in 2017.

Now it’s up to him to take it.