Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

John Lynch the new GM of the 49ers

Best of luck to you JL!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000780496/article/san-francisco-49ers-to-hire-john-lynch-new-gm

I totally didn't see that one coming. That's the surprise hire of the off-season
    #swapping

Matt Millen 2.0. No way this ends well. I wonder if the 49ers regret backing the GM over Harbaugh yet?
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Matt Millen 2.0. No way this ends well. I wonder if the 49ers regret backing the GM over Harbaugh yet?
    Every. Single. Day.

Apparently, this was done with Kyle Shanahan's blessing. This is about the GM and coach being on the same page and may be a sign that the coach will have greater authority. Presumably, John Lynch has demonstrated on some level that he has the skills to do the job.
    Jesus Loves You, even if you don't love Him.
    Woooo!! Wooooo!!! Wooooooo!!!! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    negs are for cowards. I won't back down.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Apparently, this was done with Kyle Shanahan's blessing. This is about the GM and coach being on the same page and may be a sign that the coach will have greater authority. Presumably, John Lynch has demonstrated on some level that he has the skills to do the job.
    Shanahan was reportedly already given complete power over the roster, which was why a bunch of people pulled themselves from consideration. I'm not sure what John Lynch has shown to make him competent for the job, but he's been a commentator since he retired. Does he heavily scout and rank the draft like other former and current players do? I'm not sure. But it would seem to me like they hired a guy who won't rock the boat and will be more of a figurehead than a guy who actually gets things done.

But the problem with this is that if Shanahan turns out to be a disaster and they have to fire him, you either give the next coach full power as well, or you end up needing to hire two more people at that point.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Love Lynch. But this has disaster written all over it. The guy has not been in any sort of job what so ever that will prepare him for this.

The other thought I had was let's see if Pappy Shanny gets hired in the FO. I could see a situation where he's hired to mentor and bring Lynch along. While he and Kyle actually do the heavy lifting of the GM duties.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    The other thought I had was let's see if Pappy Shanny gets hired in the FO. I could see a situation where he's hired to mentor and bring Lynch along. While he and Kyle actually do the heavy lifting of the GM duties.
    That's feasible. Last I saw Shanny talking about it he said he wanted a consulting job if anything. Not so much a Head Coach or GM job.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

John Lynch new 49ers GM

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/2...anted-the-job/

Welp, pretty much know where Shanahan is gunna end up lol

A first time HC doing the heaving lifting for a first time GM? That sounds so Browns, but the Niners have certainly turned into their own clown show out in the bay.

I understand wanting to tie the GM and Head Coach contract wise, but giving both a first time GM and first time Head Coach 6 year deals is insane. Id go 3 years, max 4 years; 6 years is just stupid.
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

I cetainly hope not for John's sake. Shanahan great HC . Not so much as GM.

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    This^^^^^ could not have said it better.

Good luck John. I have high hopes hopes for you.

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Another former player named John Elway has done a terrific job as GM so it is possible. Still living in Denver, Lynch has maintained some ties to the organization and has shown up to various Broncos public events over the years and is friends with Elway -- may have gotten some strategies and tips from him, especially in recruiting the right support personnel? I'd say he has a 50/50 chance of success. I wish him the very best, an excellent former player, humanitarian and a class act. And I like to see (most) bad teams turn it around and get back in contention. Hope he and Kyle can make a difference.
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016