Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos to decline Russell Okung’s contract option for 2017

The left tackle would have received a four-year, $48 million contract with $20.5 million guaranteed if the option was picked up

The Broncos will have to find a new left tackle for the second straight offseason.

Denver informed left tackle Russell Okung Thursday that it would not be picking up his $1 million option securing his return to the team next season, an NFL source said.

The Broncos had until March 8 to make a decision on Okung, who would have received a four-year, $48 million contract with $20.5 million guaranteed if the option was picked up.

Okung, who without an agent signed what ended up being a one-year, $8 million contract after playing-time incentives last March, is the latest name to join a weak crop of offensive line free agents. He proved his health by playing 16 games for the first time in his career last season, but costly penalties decreased his value.

The Broncos have not approached Okung about a cheaper contract, the source said. He’s scheduled to become a free agent on March 9.

The move will save the Broncos more than $11 million in cap space raising their overall cap room to more than $40 million if the cap comes in around $168 million as expected.

Denver will now likely look to free agency and the draft for a new starting left tackle.
    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/23...lined-broncos/

For a team with serious line issues, it's a tough, but correct move to make.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

I don't think there was ever any doubt this would happen if Okung declined a pay cut or restructure, especially with the offensive line market being what it is

Wonder if this means Stephenson or Ty is next.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I don't think there was ever any doubt this would happen if Okung declined a pay cut or restructure, especially with the offensive line market being what it is
    He didn't perform anywhere near the level that warranted the $20.5m guaranteed he would have received.

Ty Sambrailo for left tackle.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post

This will be the first time Sambrailo is healthy, and will be part of the offseason program unhindered. I hope he takes major strides.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post

That's awesome. lol
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

No shocker here.

Where does this put us on Cap space? Aren't we closing in on $40-50 million?

And like others have mentioned, this will give Ty Sambrailo, on his rookie Contract and healthy for the first time since being a rookie, a HUGE opportunity.

And I wonder if this means we are going to keep Stephenson.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post

And like others have mentioned, this will give Ty Sambrailo, on his rookie Contract and healthy for the first time since being a rookie, a HUGE opportunity.

I am not sure Stephenson makes the cut unless something drastically changes in his favor but for now he might be safe at least until camp cuts. Last season we took 8 tackles to camp. Releasing Okung means we'll need another in addition to any we sign in the draft and / or pick up during free free agency. If Sambrailo kicks out then we'll need another guard along with camp bodies...

Either way, it's hard to project what the line with look like before camp, let alone, before next season. If I were a betting man, I'd say Stephenson is on the bubble at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Wonder if this means Stephenson or Ty is next.
    I think Stephenson is gone too. Ty won't be cut prior to training camp due to his cheap contract, but at this point it would be a bit surprising if he makes the final 53.

I'm glad they are not going to pickup the option. Okung did not play like a 12M avg. per year LT in 2016 and the ~20M guarantee is too much to commit to for his caliber.
    I don't see Whitworth as an option at 35 years old, I think it is a roll of the dice to hope his age doesn't catch up to him very soon, a longer term solution is needed.
    And yes, there might not be a better, long term solution this season?

Stephenson is not a lot of money to keep into TC/preseason to see if he can win the RT spot, apparently he would only be a 5M hit with him or 2M this season without him - he is scheduled to get 4M guarantee on the 5th day of the 2017 season - no matter which way it goes it is not a major hit to the cap or a major savings to help sign somebody else. At least we could wait until the 4th day of FA and see who we have gotten before making a decision on him.
    Sambraillo or Schofield could be solutions but it is not a good idea to just rely on them to be a sufficient LT starter. There is definitely no reason to cut them before pre-season.

IF the best player on the board at #20 happens to also be a LT (not likely) then we should grab him. From my perspective I don't think there is any OT in this draft worthy of the 20th pick. I don't think any T is projected to be a starter as a rookie at LT, only RT; maybe I'm wrong?
    I like trading back and picking up Lamp relatively late in the 1st, adding a 4th? rounder to our draft.

LT is no easy position to play but I got the feeling at times Okung didn't give it his all. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to retract, but it's just my opinion and I've stated it at times last season.

Holding penalties when it wasn't necessary ..... holding instead of moving his feet etc etc. dare I say the word Lazy came to the tip of my tongue at times. I hate to down any players - especially former Broncos but it was a pretty frustrating offense to watch last season.

On the other hand, where would we have been without him last season? Not claiming last season was a banner year - we all know it wasn't but maybe he was the best we could do at that time.

Hopefully #7 can at bare minimum stop gap till we find a solution... but most importantly find that cornerstone that every offense desires over there.

Local media likes to talk about Joe Thomas and hey - I wouldn't complain if it could happen, but it's a temporary solution. And one that is highly unlikely anyway. It's gonna be another exciting offseason and I hope the moves that are to come instill confidence. But even if they don't at the time they're made, if confidence comes later with performance, that's even more fun.

I still have a lot of faith in this team especially with that incredible defense to shore things up
    Last edited by dizzolve; 02-23-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    Red 98

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post

Yes, over $40 million. That might be enough for Elway to sign the three W boys: Andrew Whitworth, Ricky Wagner and Larry Warford.

Ty Sambrailo was starting Left Tackle in 2015. He tore the labrum in his shoulder in game three and required surgery. In the Spring of 2016, he injured his elbow and wasn't able to practice until the end of TC/preseason. He wasn't able to work upper body for over a year. I'm not ready to pull the plug on him ... yet, but he'd better step up pretty soon.

I am ready to pull the plug on Donald Stephenson. His contract calls for a salary of $5 million in 2017 which is over a million $ more than the combined salaries of Ty Sambrailo, Michael Schofield, Billy Turner, Max Garcia and Connor McGovern. That's an O-Line. Releasing Stephenson would produce an additional $3 million in cap space.
    Last edited by samparnell; 02-23-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus