Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,925
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I'd be nervous if a rookie or someone like Sambrailo or Schofield is our starting LT.
    If you would be nervous, then imagine our starting QB.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    7,697
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Since Okung won't be returning, where do we go from here? I personally hope the Broncos push hard to sign Andrew Whitworth. His comments indicate he is leaning towards re-signing with the Bengals, but he is willing to listen to offers. I hope Elway can convince him to sign with an actual contender before his career ends.

    If not Whitworth, then Joe Thomas. I'd give up a 2nd round pick and some change for him, but not a 1st. Like Whitworth, however, he seems loyal to his team.

    Ok. Some here may hate the idea of drafting OL in the 1st round, but it may be necessary. With a gaping hole at LT, could we really pass on Cam Robinson, Ryan Ramcyzk, or Garett Bolles if they are available at 20?

    If none of the above works out, where else could we go? I certainly don't see any solutions on the current roster. Sambrailo? Heck no. Schofield? Doubtful. In the end I support releasing Okung. I'll trust that Elway will make the right decision.
    This is what is up my friend.

    As most of you know I am a huge defensive guy and I would like nothing more than for the Broncos to sign Callais Campbell but we can't be considered a serious contender with this makeshift offensive line.

    Ronald Leary should be our number one priority and I hope John Elway will make this happen.

    I would not mind the Broncos re-signing Russell Okung but he'd have to remain at the left tackle position. Switching him over to the right side is not a good idea and anybody that's played football and played the position knows The transition will not work. In a few cases it has with guys like Tony Jones but that is a rarity..

    Think about it like this, can a right-handed boxer suddenly become a southpaw and perform at the same level? No
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 03-03-2017 at 07:01 AM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    The premise of this Thread, and many Posting here, is that Okung is gone. Am I the only one who saw John Elway say at the Combine that Okung isn't gone? He said that the Broncos did indeed not pick up the Option, but that after Okung shops around to establish his value, the Broncos will sit down with him, again.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ign-him-again/
    I find this comment encouraging. I have no issue with bringing Okung back on a different contract.

    Preferably save a couple million and more importantly a bit more team flexibility for the length of contract. It is going to be expensive. OTs are at a premium. Okung was good not great last year. Hopefully he can be a foundation of stability in the new offense.

    Sign him and land one more marquee free agent for the line. Then rely on improvement from the current roster.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    7,697
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I find this comment encouraging. I have no issue with bringing Okung back on a different contract.

    Preferably save a couple million and more importantly a bit more team flexibility for the length of contract. It is going to be expensive. OTs are at a premium. Okung was good not great last year. Hopefully he can be a foundation of stability in the new offense.

    Sign him and land one more marquee free agent for the line. Then rely on improvement from the current roster.
    What would be a bigger need to address, Do we go out and sign Ronald Leary to play offensive guard or should right tackle be a more important position right now?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    What would be a bigger need to address, Do we go out and sign Ronald Leary to play offensive guard or should right tackle be a more important position right now?
    I think the tackles are more important at this moment. Not that we have so much talent at guard but Garcia and Schofield weren't terrible last year. Our tackles last year were terrible and at this moment even worse because Okung is gone. Go out there and get Whitworth and Wagner and if possible, get a player like Forrest in the draft and kick him to Guard. im not big on drafting a Tackle and having them start in the first year unless you know for a fact that he'll be fine.

    That being said, I would still like Leary if added to our team. He is a big body and can dominate if he stays healthy. I feel like Denvers oline needs to get bigger. I looked at Oaklands line last year and was stunned on how big they all were. They manhandle our Dline with that size difference.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    7,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I think the tackles are more important at this moment. Not that we have so much talent at guard but Garcia and Schofield weren't terrible last year. Our tackles last year were terrible and at this moment even worse because Okung is gone. Go out there and get Whitworth and Wagner and if possible, get a player like Forrest in the draft and kick him to Guard. im not big on drafting a Tackle and having them start in the first year unless you know for a fact that he'll be fine.

    That being said, I would still like Leary if added to our team. He is a big body and can dominate if he stays healthy. I feel like Denvers oline needs to get bigger. I looked at Oaklands line last year and was stunned on how big they all were. They manhandle our Dline with that size difference.
    I completely agree with what you just said and that's why I asked the question. And lets not forget that Max Garcia is extremely strong and I think with proper coaching in a different type of scheme he could be very dominant maybe not as dominant as Leary but he'll be elite because the guy is extremely strong.

    You mentioned Michael Scofield who looks like he was finally coming on at times last season but also we have Connor McGovern and Connor McGovern looks downright perfect for the scheme that Jeff Davidson is going to bring. Connor McGovern is big and strong just like Max Garcia so we may be surprised with some of the players that we already have.

    However I do agree with you I think Ricky Wagner and Andrew Witworth are a must.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    What would be a bigger need to address, Do we go out and sign Ronald Leary to play offensive guard or should right tackle be a more important position right now?
    I am more concerned with adding consistent play on the oline. Reliable foundation pieces type players.

    If Broncos can get two free agents on the oline (Okung could be one of them IMO) then have the rest compete.

    I tend to think the Broncos have more current prospects in the middle of the line then OT. But if a top free agent OG like Lang or Leary can be added then I am good with it. They need leadership and consistency to help all the young lineman.

    IMO the talent level of many is not as dire as some think. Also hoping the new system and coaching can help them develop and be productive as a position group. We shall see!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wyoming- GOD's country
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I completely agree with what you just said and that's why I asked the question. And lets not forget that Max Garcia is extremely strong and I think with proper coaching in a different type of scheme he could be very dominant maybe not as dominant as Leary but he'll be elite because the guy is extremely strong.

    You mentioned Michael Scofield who looks like he was finally coming on at times last season but also we have Connor McGovern and Connor McGovern looks downright perfect for the scheme that Jeff Davidson is going to bring. Connor McGovern is big and strong just like Max Garcia so we may be surprised with some of the players that we already have.

    However I do agree with you I think Ricky Wagner and Andrew Witworth are a must.
    I was unaware that the type of scheme or how much different it will be from last year's. What type of scheme will it be that fits our present guards?
    RIP Cameron

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    I was unaware that the type of scheme or how much different it will be from last year's. What type of scheme will it be that fits our present guards?
    More angle blocked run plays; less zone steps.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,453
    Wagner is a must because all our pass rushers in the AFCcome from the RT. So this a must! We can address the LT with a guy like Cam Robinson. Or trade trade Trevor( assuming we get Romo) and one of our 3rds for Joe Thomas.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,317
    Quote Originally Posted by kapzk View Post
    Would we get a compensatory draft pick if Okung signs elsewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Maybe we will. I don't think he really was released. Elway declined an option in the contract, officially making it a 1-year contract. I guess it's similar to a team rescinding a franchise tag, making the player a free agent. The Panthers received a 3rd-round pick for losing Josh Norman.
    I supposed it might be possible. Keep in mind that we 'lost' a 3rd rounder because the comp pick formula factored in ALL of Okungs contact for last season.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I supposed it might be possible. Keep in mind that we 'lost' a 3rd rounder because the comp pick formula factored in ALL of Okungs contact for last season.
    I'm going to quibble a point- Thanks for pointing out that the Broncos did not "lose a third rd pick" . It was never awarded. Can't lose something that was never yours.

    We (including myself) assumed that the Broncos were getting that pick. Disappointed we didn't but I have seen too many comments about how the Broncos were somehow screwed out of something.

    We just didn't understand the formula used. Including some writers that published the comp picks list. Now we know it is as confusing as ever.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wyoming- GOD's country
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    More angle blocked run plays; less zone steps.
    Is it going to be 100% (not likely) 80% with 20% zone blocking, or some other ratio? My point is we don't know.
    RIP Cameron

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,942
    I'd be down for Okung to come back honestly

    Just for continuity's sake

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,881
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I'm going to quibble a point- Thanks for pointing out that the Broncos did not "lose a third rd pick" . It was never awarded. Can't lose something that was never yours.

    We (including myself) assumed that the Broncos were getting that pick. Disappointed we didn't but I have seen too many comments about how the Broncos were somehow screwed out of something.

    We just didn't understand the formula used. Including some writers that published the comp picks list. Now we know it is as confusing as ever.
    Thank you for saying this. You cannot lose something you never had. Unless, we're going to say we "lost" some comp pick every single year that we sign someone that cancels out a loss.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •