Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I'd be nervous if a rookie or someone like Sambrailo or Schofield is our starting LT.
    If you would be nervous, then imagine our starting QB.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Since Okung won't be returning, where do we go from here? I personally hope the Broncos push hard to sign Andrew Whitworth. His comments indicate he is leaning towards re-signing with the Bengals, but he is willing to listen to offers. I hope Elway can convince him to sign with an actual contender before his career ends.

If not Whitworth, then Joe Thomas. I'd give up a 2nd round pick and some change for him, but not a 1st. Like Whitworth, however, he seems loyal to his team.

Ok. Some here may hate the idea of drafting OL in the 1st round, but it may be necessary. With a gaping hole at LT, could we really pass on Cam Robinson, Ryan Ramcyzk, or Garett Bolles if they are available at 20?

If none of the above works out, where else could we go? I certainly don't see any solutions on the current roster. Sambrailo? Heck no. Schofield? Doubtful. In the end I support releasing Okung. I'll trust that Elway will make the right decision.
    This is what is up my friend.

As most of you know I am a huge defensive guy and I would like nothing more than for the Broncos to sign Callais Campbell but we can't be considered a serious contender with this makeshift offensive line.

Ronald Leary should be our number one priority and I hope John Elway will make this happen.

I would not mind the Broncos re-signing Russell Okung but he'd have to remain at the left tackle position. Switching him over to the right side is not a good idea and anybody that's played football and played the position knows The transition will not work. In a few cases it has with guys like Tony Jones but that is a rarity..

Think about it like this, can a right-handed boxer suddenly become a southpaw and perform at the same level? No
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 03-03-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    The premise of this Thread, and many Posting here, is that Okung is gone. Am I the only one who saw John Elway say at the Combine that Okung isn't gone? He said that the Broncos did indeed not pick up the Option, but that after Okung shops around to establish his value, the Broncos will sit down with him, again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ign-him-again/
    I find this comment encouraging. I have no issue with bringing Okung back on a different contract.

Preferably save a couple million and more importantly a bit more team flexibility for the length of contract. It is going to be expensive. OTs are at a premium. Okung was good not great last year. Hopefully he can be a foundation of stability in the new offense.

Sign him and land one more marquee free agent for the line. Then rely on improvement from the current roster.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I find this comment encouraging. I have no issue with bringing Okung back on a different contract.

Preferably save a couple million and more importantly a bit more team flexibility for the length of contract. It is going to be expensive. OTs are at a premium. Okung was good not great last year. Hopefully he can be a foundation of stability in the new offense.

Sign him and land one more marquee free agent for the line. Then rely on improvement from the current roster.
    What would be a bigger need to address, Do we go out and sign Ronald Leary to play offensive guard or should right tackle be a more important position right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    What would be a bigger need to address, Do we go out and sign Ronald Leary to play offensive guard or should right tackle be a more important position right now?
    I think the tackles are more important at this moment. Not that we have so much talent at guard but Garcia and Schofield weren't terrible last year. Our tackles last year were terrible and at this moment even worse because Okung is gone. Go out there and get Whitworth and Wagner and if possible, get a player like Forrest in the draft and kick him to Guard. im not big on drafting a Tackle and having them start in the first year unless you know for a fact that he'll be fine.

That being said, I would still like Leary if added to our team. He is a big body and can dominate if he stays healthy. I feel like Denvers oline needs to get bigger. I looked at Oaklands line last year and was stunned on how big they all were. They manhandle our Dline with that size difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I think the tackles are more important at this moment. Not that we have so much talent at guard but Garcia and Schofield weren't terrible last year. Our tackles last year were terrible and at this moment even worse because Okung is gone. Go out there and get Whitworth and Wagner and if possible, get a player like Forrest in the draft and kick him to Guard. im not big on drafting a Tackle and having them start in the first year unless you know for a fact that he'll be fine.

That being said, I would still like Leary if added to our team. He is a big body and can dominate if he stays healthy. I feel like Denvers oline needs to get bigger. I looked at Oaklands line last year and was stunned on how big they all were. They manhandle our Dline with that size difference.
    I completely agree with what you just said and that's why I asked the question. And lets not forget that Max Garcia is extremely strong and I think with proper coaching in a different type of scheme he could be very dominant maybe not as dominant as Leary but he'll be elite because the guy is extremely strong.

You mentioned Michael Scofield who looks like he was finally coming on at times last season but also we have Connor McGovern and Connor McGovern looks downright perfect for the scheme that Jeff Davidson is going to bring. Connor McGovern is big and strong just like Max Garcia so we may be surprised with some of the players that we already have.

However I do agree with you I think Ricky Wagner and Andrew Witworth are a must.

I am more concerned with adding consistent play on the oline. Reliable foundation pieces type players.

If Broncos can get two free agents on the oline (Okung could be one of them IMO) then have the rest compete.

I tend to think the Broncos have more current prospects in the middle of the line then OT. But if a top free agent OG like Lang or Leary can be added then I am good with it. They need leadership and consistency to help all the young lineman.

IMO the talent level of many is not as dire as some think. Also hoping the new system and coaching can help them develop and be productive as a position group. We shall see!

I completely agree with what you just said and that's why I asked the question. And lets not forget that Max Garcia is extremely strong and I think with proper coaching in a different type of scheme he could be very dominant maybe not as dominant as Leary but he'll be elite because the guy is extremely strong.

You mentioned Michael Scofield who looks like he was finally coming on at times last season but also we have Connor McGovern and Connor McGovern looks downright perfect for the scheme that Jeff Davidson is going to bring. Connor McGovern is big and strong just like Max Garcia so we may be surprised with some of the players that we already have.

However I do agree with you I think Ricky Wagner and Andrew Witworth are a must.
    I was unaware that the type of scheme or how much different it will be from last year's. What type of scheme will it be that fits our present guards?
    RIP Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    I was unaware that the type of scheme or how much different it will be from last year's. What type of scheme will it be that fits our present guards?
    More angle blocked run plays; less zone steps.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Wagner is a must because all our pass rushers in the AFCcome from the RT. So this a must! We can address the LT with a guy like Cam Robinson. Or trade trade Trevor( assuming we get Romo) and one of our 3rds for Joe Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by kapzk View Post
    Would we get a compensatory draft pick if Okung signs elsewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Maybe we will. I don't think he really was released. Elway declined an option in the contract, officially making it a 1-year contract. I guess it's similar to a team rescinding a franchise tag, making the player a free agent. The Panthers received a 3rd-round pick for losing Josh Norman.
    I supposed it might be possible. Keep in mind that we 'lost' a 3rd rounder because the comp pick formula factored in ALL of Okungs contact for last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I supposed it might be possible. Keep in mind that we 'lost' a 3rd rounder because the comp pick formula factored in ALL of Okungs contact for last season.
    I'm going to quibble a point- Thanks for pointing out that the Broncos did not "lose a third rd pick" . It was never awarded. Can't lose something that was never yours.

We (including myself) assumed that the Broncos were getting that pick. Disappointed we didn't but I have seen too many comments about how the Broncos were somehow screwed out of something.

We just didn't understand the formula used. Including some writers that published the comp picks list. Now we know it is as confusing as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    More angle blocked run plays; less zone steps.
    Is it going to be 100% (not likely) 80% with 20% zone blocking, or some other ratio? My point is we don't know.
    RIP Cameron

I'd be down for Okung to come back honestly

Just for continuity's sake

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I'm going to quibble a point- Thanks for pointing out that the Broncos did not "lose a third rd pick" . It was never awarded. Can't lose something that was never yours.

We (including myself) assumed that the Broncos were getting that pick. Disappointed we didn't but I have seen too many comments about how the Broncos were somehow screwed out of something.

We just didn't understand the formula used. Including some writers that published the comp picks list. Now we know it is as confusing as ever.
    Thank you for saying this. You cannot lose something you never had. Unless, we're going to say we "lost" some comp pick every single year that we sign someone that cancels out a loss.