Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

D Thomas pay cut

Thomas went on record saying he would take a pay cut/restructure if asked last off season. If we do bring in a veteran QB I could see Elway going to Sanders and Thomas and asking them to shift some cash around. Even if it's only 1-2 million each that would help out a lot!

It's not a pay cut, it's a restructure that's already been built into the contract, or at least was for last season, not sure if the automatic version is still there or not. The problem with a restructure is that it just pushes the money down the road, for instance you could turn 6 of a player's 8 million dollar salary into a signing bonus, which means he still gets all of the money this year and would save $4 million v the cap this year, but that money then gets pushed against future years and makes those cap hits bigger, and also becomes money that will count against the cap if the player is released.

I'm not sure if Sanders contract can be restructured, it depends how the extension was done, but it's difficult to restructure new contracts and there are rules against restructuring twice in one year. But again I'm not fully sure how that works.

But I wouldn't expect either to take a paycut, so if that's what you're thinking, it's not going to happen.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

For what a "veteran QB" would cost this Franchise, I don't think asking the two best Players on Offense to take a paycut would be necessary.

I doubt he does. He has no incentive to take a pay cut and we have no leverage. It would kill us to trade or cut him I think we would be in the hole. He is untouchable until 2019.

We would have to give him more years with more guaranteed money. And with all that we might only save 2 mill against the cap this year. You have to wonder if its really worth it at that point. I rather play it out until 2019 than give him several more years of untouchable status on top of what he has.

With 3 years left on his deal, it doesn't make much sense to restructure him at this point. His base salary is $8.5 million, if you converted $6 million to signing bonus, you'd cut his cap number this year to around $8 million from $12 million, but his cap hit next year would become $14 million and in 2019 it would be over $19 million.

That all makes sense now. I just really want our O line rebuilt throughout free agency and a 3rd wr/return man. And I know if we pull the trigger on a veteran QB there just isn't enough money to go around.

As others already stated, it doesn't make any sense to restructure him this year. Last year would've been the time to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    It's not a pay cut, it's a restructure that's already been built into the contract, or at least was for last season, not sure if the automatic version is still there or not. The problem with a restructure is that it just pushes the money down the road, for instance you could turn 6 of a player's 8 million dollar salary into a signing bonus, which means he still gets all of the money this year and would save $4 million v the cap this year, but that money then gets pushed against future years and makes those cap hits bigger, and also becomes money that will count against the cap if the player is released.

I'm not sure if Sanders contract can be restructured, it depends how the extension was done, but it's difficult to restructure new contracts and there are rules against restructuring twice in one year. But again I'm not fully sure how that works.

But I wouldn't expect either to take a paycut, so if that's what you're thinking, it's not going to happen.

This is what makes me laugh so hard.The players get universally praised for their unselfish team first pay cuts they take when it is infact the exact opposite.They want to win now while they are in the team but sacrifice the team in the upcoming years when they may no longer be on the team but the team is still paying them.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
    This is what makes me laugh so hard.The players get universally praised for their unselfish team first pay cuts they take when it is infact the exact opposite.They want to win now while they are in the team but sacrifice the team in the upcoming years when they may no longer be on the team but the team is still paying them.
    Contracts aren't guaranteed, the team won't be "still paying them" the team will be taking a hit against the cap for the prorated part of the signing bonus paid to them. If a player is released tomorrow and has no guarantees in his contract, he gets $0, but the team still often carries a cap hit.

And it's not the players sacrificing the team in the future, it's the team wanting money now and willing to pay the price down the road for it. It's no different than buying something on a credit card and then carrying a balance.

He should get a bonus for not finishing in the top 5 for drops.

Just that incentive alone will make him focus on game day more

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Contracts aren't guaranteed, the team won't be "still paying them" the team will be taking a hit against the cap for the prorated part of the signing bonus paid to them. If a player is released tomorrow and has no guarantees in his contract, he gets $0, but the team still often carries a cap hit.

And it's not the players sacrificing the team in the future, it's the team wanting money now and willing to pay the price down the road for it. It's no different than buying something on a credit card and then carrying a balance.

Correct and its the team left with the debt and not the player.He gets cut he gets a bigger and better contract elsewhere.

Correct and its the team left with the debt and not the player.He gets cut he gets a bigger and better contract elsewhere.
    Not necessarily bigger and better. If they're cut because they're not worth a certain price, other teams might agree that he's not worth more than that price as well. Depending on the situation.

Demaryius Thomas has room for improvement, that can be observed through drops.

Given that, he still had 1,000 yards, and without both his and Sanders' production we would have been a bottom 5 offense in the NFL. For what he means to our O, he is only slightly overpaid, if at all.

So the solution is for teams not to sign players with signing bonuses attached, take the hit right away, then you won't be left with that. Of course that would means you'd sign fewer players and wouldn't need to have that extra cap room.