Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 46 to 58 of 58
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He was literally the 7th AFC option, that's hardly a Pro Bowl player. The one positive from it all was that he was invited before Phillip Rivers was.
    Hey I am not the one that suggested he go, but someone obviously thought he was good enough. Anyways, great achievement for Trevor to get invited as a first year starter.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    I still don't understand why Lynch over Siemian in this scenario. If Lynch gets us a mid 1st for example (and I would love an early 2nd and 3rd in this draft), what am I missing? Romo, TS, vet/draft a QB in mid rounds would be my preferred depth chart.

    I don't even look at it as Elway making a mistake last year, he simply did not know what he had in Trevor. Give Trevor an open competition with Romo and I think he could win actually. Teammates support him, he knows the locker room and his guys. But whatever, I hope Elway does not go away from what brought us a championship...DEFENSE. And a defenses best friend is a strong run game, not a QB who really has blown his opportunities.
    If Elway would accept anything less then a 1st round pick, like a 2nd or 3rd, he would get called out for multiple reasons! 1) The most obvious, you don't buy high and sell low. 2) Dumping a QB with promise after 2 games. 3) I don't think we had a coach on the team last year that was able to bring out the potential of QBs. 4) Finally, with a bad oline like we had last year, who really knows what we have in either of our QBs.

    Plus the combined cost of these two young QBs is minimal which we can invest in other players (e.g. Olinemen, defensive player in this deep defensive draft).
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He was literally the 7th AFC option, that's hardly a Pro Bowl player. The one positive from it all was that he was invited before Phillip Rivers was.
    Maybe making the Pro Bowl as a rookie with a bad Oline and a hurt shoulder might seem easy to you, but if I was TS I'd be damn proud of my achievement coming from the rear, a name that no one even heard of. He was better than 9 other starting QBs in the AFC that most likely had better circumstances, more experience and probably a much larger salary. Amazing how hard our own fans can be on first time starters!
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    Maybe making the Pro Bowl as a rookie with a bad Oline and a hurt shoulder might seem easy to you, but if I was TS I'd be damn proud of my achievement coming from the rear, a name that no one even heard of. He was better than 9 other starting QBs in the AFC that most likely had better circumstances, more experience and probably a much larger salary. Amazing how hard our own fans can be on first time starters!
    Maybe as a natural counter balance to how hard some fans want to put TS on a pedestal?

    Young man had a good year. He benefits from his "Rudy-like" story. Its a great story! He had some high points but also some low points. Depending on the opinion of the poster will dictate which moments get emphasized or ignored. Some fans, myself included, are not so quick to anoint him the "Franchise QB" or fit him for his HoF jacket just yet. Maybe he continues to improve and earns the praise he is getting by some . Until he does I will remain a bit more critical of his performances and long term viability.

    I am perfectly fine with going with him as the presumed starter and Lynch trying to overtake him. Competition is a a good thing IMO. But my expectations for either are modest. Not expecting either to emerge as a top 10 QB but as competent middle of the pack performers. That is what is needed to continue winning if the rushing game can improve and the defense stay top 5. Broncos need a QB to distribute the ball to the playmakers (hopefully adding a couple more!) more then the QB being the playmaker.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,870
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Maybe as a natural counter balance to how hard some fans want to put TS on a pedestal?

    Young man had a good year. He benefits from his "Rudy-like" story. Its a great story! He had some high points but also some low points. Depending on the opinion of the poster will dictate which moments get emphasized or ignored. Some fans, myself included, are not so quick to anoint him the "Franchise QB" or fit him for his HoF jacket just yet. Maybe he continues to improve and earns the praise he is getting by some . Until he does I will remain a bit more critical of his performances and long term viability.

    I am perfectly fine with going with him as the presumed starter and Lynch trying to overtake him. Competition is a a good thing IMO. But my expectations for either are modest. Not expecting either to emerge as a top 10 QB but as competent middle of the pack performers. That is what is needed to continue winning if the rushing game can improve and the defense stay top 5. Broncos need a QB to distribute the ball to the playmakers (hopefully adding a couple more!) more then the QB being the playmaker.
    Last season, Siemian performed much as Manning performed the previous season. Siemian was not a "difference maker". He was a 1st year QB. The previous year, I argued that Siemian had beaten out Osweiler in pre-season games, and when Manning went down, I was for putting in Siemian over Osweiler. Most of the people on this Board were arguing that Osweiler was the future of this Franchise, much like many on this Board would prefer to see Lynch be given the job over Siemian. And why? I've seen literally multiple Posts suggesting that Lynch is the future of this Franchise over Siemian because Lynch was taken in the 1st Round and Siemian was taken in the 7th Round. That Siemian was a "Kubiak Pick" and Lynch was an "Elway Pick". I have to shake my head at those comments.

    NFL quarterbacks are where you find them. Lynch appears to be a slightly better athlete with a slightly stronger arm. And Siemian appears to be a better "football player" with a better handle of playing the position in the NFL. And thus, Siemian was the Starter after beating out Sanchez and Lynch in pre-season.

    I am anxious to see if Lynch has made any progress since he Started two games last season. And I am anxious to see if Siemian can take the next step in evolving into a "Franchise QB". Although I really liked Kubiak, I don't think he was meshing with the skills that Siemian and Lynch offered. But, then again, although Manning had lost a lot of his physical abilities, Manning wasn't meshing very well with Kubiak, either. I think we might get a better idea of what we have with Musgrave coaching the QBs and McCoy as Offensive Coordinator. I think we might all be surprised at what happens. Should be interesting!

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,899
    I think he is worth more to the Broncos than we could get in trade for him. I also think it would be a bad decision to trade him even if we signed Romo. Keep all three if that's what we're doing.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,870
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I think he is worth more to the Broncos than we could get in trade for him. I also think it would be a bad decision to trade him even if we signed Romo. Keep all three if that's what we're doing.
    Any chance of a Trade disappeared when Romo retired. Now it's either a QB Draft choice or a cheap Veteran QB signing.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,228
    Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    Maybe making the Pro Bowl as a rookie with a bad Oline and a hurt shoulder might seem easy to you, but if I was TS I'd be damn proud of my achievement coming from the rear, a name that no one even heard of. He was better than 9 other starting QBs in the AFC that most likely had better circumstances, more experience and probably a much larger salary. Amazing how hard our own fans can be on first time starters!
    He didn't make the Pro Bowl, he was the 7th alternate. There's a very big difference there. It's like finishing 8th in a beauty contest, none of the top 7 being able to complete their duties as Miss America so you get the crown and then going on bragging about how you won.

    I've been very in the middle about Siemian since the season ended. I haven't seen enough to make a decision one way or the other on him, but have said he's proven that he belongs in the NFL, now it's a matter of whether it's as a starter or backup. I also said he had some negatives (which anyone could see) but that I saw something special from him in the second half of the first game v KC, where the game looked to slow down for him, which is a good sign.

    Me saying he's not a Pro Bowler (which he wasn't, 7th alternate not able to accept the invitation means NOT a Pro Bowler) isn't being hard on him, it's literally stating fact.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,228
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Last season, Siemian performed much as Manning performed the previous season. Siemian was not a "difference maker". He was a 1st year QB. The previous year, I argued that Siemian had beaten out Osweiler in pre-season games, and when Manning went down, I was for putting in Siemian over Osweiler. Most of the people on this Board were arguing that Osweiler was the future of this Franchise, much like many on this Board would prefer to see Lynch be given the job over Siemian. And why? I've seen literally multiple Posts suggesting that Lynch is the future of this Franchise over Siemian because Lynch was taken in the 1st Round and Siemian was taken in the 7th Round. That Siemian was a "Kubiak Pick" and Lynch was an "Elway Pick". I have to shake my head at those comments.

    NFL quarterbacks are where you find them. Lynch appears to be a slightly better athlete with a slightly stronger arm. And Siemian appears to be a better "football player" with a better handle of playing the position in the NFL. And thus, Siemian was the Starter after beating out Sanchez and Lynch in pre-season.

    I am anxious to see if Lynch has made any progress since he Started two games last season. And I am anxious to see if Siemian can take the next step in evolving into a "Franchise QB". Although I really liked Kubiak, I don't think he was meshing with the skills that Siemian and Lynch offered. But, then again, although Manning had lost a lot of his physical abilities, Manning wasn't meshing very well with Kubiak, either. I think we might get a better idea of what we have with Musgrave coaching the QBs and McCoy as Offensive Coordinator. I think we might all be surprised at what happens. Should be interesting!
    If Siemian had beaten Osweiler out they would have gone with him. The Broncos had tried to replace Osweiler with Tyrod Taylor that offseason and Elway has shown that he will make the tough decision. Siemian didn't beat out Osweiler that year. That's not meant as being disrespectful to Siemian, because Siemian is the better QB right now.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    If Siemian had beaten Osweiler out they would have gone with him. The Broncos had tried to replace Osweiler with Tyrod Taylor that offseason and Elway has shown that he will make the tough decision. Siemian didn't beat out Osweiler that year. That's not meant as being disrespectful to Siemian, because Siemian is the better QB right now.
    Elway has also shown that he wants to see what we've got before dumping a lost cause (see Tim Tebow).

    Siemian was a rookie, who was less than a year away from his ACL surgery, and osweiler, who many on this Board proclaimed as the "future of the Franchise", with 4 years of Broncos time invested in him, was an "ElwayPick" coming to the end of his Contract. In my opinion, that's why osweiler started ahead of Siemian, with the understanding that nobody on this Board was in the meeting rooms when Kubiak and Elway made the decision to go with osweiler.

    If Brock osweiler is cut by Cleveland in the upcoming pre-season, it is very possible that osweiler's career in the NFL is over. Siemian isn't the better QB, "right now", he was ALWAYS the "better QB". And after what happened with osweiler in Houston, that is now a proven fact.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Siemian didn't beat out Osweiler that year. That's not meant as being disrespectful to Siemian, because Siemian is the better QB right now.
    I doubt Siemian got any opportunity to really compete with Osweiler in 2015. How many meaningful reps were even left for Siemian in training camp, especially when Osweiler was already seen as the heir apparent? Also, I am pretty sure the plan was to cut Siemian and put him on the practice squad. However, things changed when Siemian played well in preseason. If I remember correctly, he had two game-winning drives with touchdown passes. That's when he flashed for the NFL and the Broncos realized they would have to keep him on the final roster.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,654
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I doubt Siemian got any opportunity to really compete with Osweiler in 2015. How many meaningful reps were even left for Siemian in training camp, especially when Osweiler was already seen as the heir apparent? Also, I am pretty sure the plan was to cut Siemian and put him on the practice squad. However, things changed when Siemian played well in preseason. If I remember correctly, he had two game-winning drives with touchdown passes. That's when he flashed for the NFL and the Broncos realized they would have to keep him on the final roster.
    I think Denver had four QBs in 2015 TC: Manning; Osweiler; Dysert; and, Siemian. Dysert didn't do well and some think Siemian looked better than Osweiler in the preseason games. So, as you say, the decision was made to keep Trevor on the roster instead of risking another team claiming him even before they could add him to the PS. It has turned out to be a good decision.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,912
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I think Denver had four QBs in 2015 TC: Manning; Osweiler; Dysert; and, Siemian. Dysert didn't do well and some think Siemian looked better than Osweiler in the preseason games. So, as you say, the decision was made to keep Trevor on the roster instead of risking another team claiming him even before they could add him to the PS. It has turned out to be a good decision.
    Yes, there was also Dysert. I forgot about him. So, Siemian was the 4th QB after the draft and shared reps with Dysert, playing with the 3rd stringers and camp bodies. He wasn't put in position to compete with Osweiler, who was getting 1st-team and 2nd-team reps.

    Siemian threw for 90 yards in week 1 of preseason vs Seattle.

    In week 2 of preseason, Siemian had a game-winning drive vs Houston, throwing a 26-yard TD pass to Corbin Louks.

    In week 4 of preseason, Siemian threw a 16-yards TD pass to Bennie Fowler in the 3rd quarter. But he threw an interception in the 4th quarter when the team was trailing by 2 points. Siemian attempted a game-winning drive by the end of the game, but the drive stalled and McManus missed a 51-yard FG.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •