pats trading with saints

pats are trying to trade for Brandin Cooks

I'm not sure I see a fit there. There offense is based on shorter read routes and TEs running seam routes and 12-15 yard ins. They're not built to be a vertical offense, and Brady isn't that good at being a vertical QB, that's not what he does best.

Unless they're planning on grabbing Cooks and turning him into what they wanted Amendola to be, a guy who can play outside running choice routes, or move into the slot to fill in for Edelman when he comes off the field.

Although based on the story it appears the Patriots offered 32 and the Saints turned it down looking for more. Considering Belichick usually plays things pretty quietly, my guess is the deal is dead right now and that's why it leaked. Not to say it won't pick up again later, but someone leaked this as revenge for the deal not happening.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...brandin-cooks/
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I'm not sure I see a fit there. There offense is based on shorter read routes and TEs running seam routes and 12-15 yard ins. They're not built to be a vertical offense, and Brady isn't that good at being a vertical QB, that's not what he does best.

Unless they're planning on grabbing Cooks and turning him into what they wanted Amendola to be, a guy who can play outside running choice routes, or move into the slot to fill in for Edelman when he comes off the field.

Although based on the story it appears the Patriots offered 32 and the Saints turned it down looking for more. Considering Belichick usually plays things pretty quietly, my guess is the deal is dead right now and that's why it leaked. Not to say it won't pick up again later, but someone leaked this as revenge for the deal not happening.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...brandin-cooks/
    Randy Moss disagrees

Cooks is worth #32 IMO

Maybe pats don't want him that bad but he's probably better than any WR you're gonna pick at that spot

Saints should probably just
    Keep him lol

Cooks isn't a vertical threat guy. He's a rounded route runner. I think the reason he doesn't like playing in NO is because he only gets deep balls and screens

He could catch 8 balls a game on any route on the route tree IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    Randy Moss disagrees
    That was ten years ago, Brady is not the same QB now as he was then, and even then it wasn't about him being a great deep ball passer but instead a WR who could go catch anything that was thrown deep.

And while we're at it, Brandin Cooks is no Randy Moss.

Although apparently the Patriots are also trying to sign Desean Jackson. Maybe that's the next evolution of their offense? Away from the two big TE sets and trying to stretch the field more. It hasn't been Brady's strength during his career, except with Moss. But that would certainly open things up for Gronkowski in the middle.

As much as I dislike the Patriots organization, I do find it interesting watching their systems evolve year to year, they never stay the same for more than a couple of seasons, they're always changing.