Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,228

    Broncos Tender Free Agents

    McManus and Todd Davis each got second round tenders.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...everal-others/

    The Broncos issued a slew of tenders to their restricted and exclusive rights free agents on Tuesday.

    The team confirmed that they tendered kicker Brandon McManus in a release announcing moves involving 10 players overall. McManus received a second-round tender as a restricted free agent and, per multiple reports, so did linebacker Todd Davis.

    Davis started 15 games for Denver last season and ended the year with 97 tackles, a half-sack and a forced fumble. He stands to make $2.746 million under the tender and any team that wants to sign him would have to give the Broncos a second-round pick for the right to do so.

    Starting center Matt Paradis headlines the list of eight ERFAs tendered by the Broncos on Tuesday. Paradis is recovering from surgeries to both hips, but is expected to be back to health for next season. Linebacker Zaire Anderson, linebacker Shaq Barrett, center James Ferentz, running back Kapri Bibbs, long snapper Casey Kreiter, wide receiver Bennie Fowler and wide receiver Jordan Taylor were the others.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lochbuie, co
    Posts
    2,642
    I would estimate that the total salary on all these will be ~12M? But many (most?) of them will not be in the top 51 on the team but the salary cap space probably went down by at least 6-7M? Leaving about 35M for FA now ... actually take another 6-8M for rookies leaves less than 30M for FA?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lochbuie, co
    Posts
    2,642
    Oh yeah, I'm glad they tendered all of these players, especially McManus and Todd Davis ... I would take the 2nd round compensation for Davis and maybe McManus; I doubt that there will be a team going after them at a 2nd round tender though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,228
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I would estimate that the total salary on all these will be ~12M? But many (most?) of them will not be in the top 51 on the team but the salary cap space probably went down by at least 6-7M? Leaving about 35M for FA now ... actually take another 6-8M for rookies leaves less than 30M for FA?
    Denver still hasn't released a few players, or at least Stephenson, who are expected to possibly be released. $30M might be low. Over The Cap has them at $36.7 million after these moves today. But releasing Stephenson and Green would create another $5.8M, if they decide to go that direction. That would just about pay for the draft class. And then depending on free agency and/or the draft we could see other players released or asked to renegotiate.

    I guess we'll know in a few days depending on how aggressive the Broncos are whether the cap room will be an issue or not.

    http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lochbuie, co
    Posts
    2,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Denver still hasn't released a few players, or at least Stephenson, who are expected to possibly be released. $30M might be low. Over The Cap has them at $36.7 million after these moves today. But releasing Stephenson and Green would create another $5.8M, if they decide to go that direction. That would just about pay for the draft class. And then depending on free agency and/or the draft we could see other players released or asked to renegotiate.

    I guess we'll know in a few days depending on how aggressive the Broncos are whether the cap room will be an issue or not.

    http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/
    A decision on Stephenson doesn't have to be made until March 13?, that is when he gets more guaranteed money but, yes good point that can add 3M back. I suspect that the Broncos won't cut Stephenson unless they sign an OT this week.
    I don't see the reasoning in cutting Green, he is a good/great blocking TE and that's what he is being paid for, he just got that contract last season ... I could be wrong but I would bet (a CP) that he does not get cut. He still has potential as a receiving TE too; I saw him open many times last season but the QB either didn't or couldn't get the ball to him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,228
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    A decision on Stephenson doesn't have to be made until March 13?, that is when he gets more guaranteed money but, yes good point that can add 3M back. I suspect that the Broncos won't cut Stephenson unless they sign an OT this week.
    I don't see the reasoning in cutting Green, he is a good/great blocking TE and that's what he is being paid for, he just got that contract last season ... I could be wrong but I would bet (a CP) that he does not get cut. He still has potential as a receiving TE too; I saw him open many times last season but the QB either didn't or couldn't get the ball to him.
    I don't feel one way or the other about him, I would lean towards keeping him because of his blocking, but several other people had talked about him being released to the point where I thought it was a thing.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I don't feel one way or the other about him, I would lean towards keeping him because of his blocking, but several other people had talked about him being released to the point where I thought it was a thing.
    I could see Virgil Green being released. He is a great blocking TE but our biggest need has always been a pass catching TE threat. I'm under the impression that AJ Derby and Heuerman aren't it. With such a deep class of quality TE's in the draft, I don't know if Green makes it. Barring release, he could be put on the practice squad or compete again and make it as a rotational player.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    11 Western+Texas on 18 wheels
    Posts
    6,953
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I could see Virgil Green being released. He is a great blocking TE but our biggest need has always been a pass catching TE threat. I'm under the impression that AJ Derby and Heuerman aren't it. With such a deep class of quality TE's in the draft, I don't know if Green makes it. Barring release, he could be put on the practice squad or compete again and make it as a rotational player.
    I don't think Green is eligible for the practice squad. Pretty sure he's been around too long and played too much. He's already on his second contract.
    Jesus Loves You, even if you don't love Him.
    Woooo!! Wooooo!!! Wooooooo!!!! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    negs are for cowards. I won't back down.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    7,697
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I would estimate that the total salary on all these will be ~12M? But many (most?) of them will not be in the top 51 on the team but the salary cap space probably went down by at least 6-7M? Leaving about 35M for FA now ... actually take another 6-8M for rookies leaves less than 30M for FA?
    I read somewhere tonight that it was in the area of 26 million.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,517
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I don't think Green is eligible for the practice squad. Pretty sure he's been around too long and played too much. He's already on his second contract.
    ah gotcha. Well release it is then...if we draft an OJ Howard caliber talent then it's hard to justify keeping Virgil around imo. If Broncos pick up a TE in the first then that should send a huge message to any TE on our team
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    44
    I am good with seeing how Derby does in a second full year with the team.

    Heuerman is a joke who should have been released many moons ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •