Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Riley Reiff

I guess we only need 4 linemen on LOS this year

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post

Broncos FA so far (aside from Leary)
    This happens most years. Everyone freaks out because we didn't make the most splashes on day one.

Here are the teams that have been making the most moves early: Browns, 49ers, Jaguars, Bucs, Rams, Eagles, Bills

Not really company you'd like to be included with.
    2016 Adopt-A-Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
    This happens most years. Everyone freaks out because we didn't make the most splashes on day one.

Here are the teams that have been making the most moves early: Browns, 49ers, Jaguars, Bucs, Rams, Eagles, Bills

While true the difference between them and us is that we only need about 3 different positions to be truly competitive for next season...RG was not a HUGE need. RT,LT & NT are critical for us. So unless a major trade is in the works we will be again left with a mediocre LT and unless someone is released and they shock the football nation we will have one of the leagues worst RT's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    While true the difference between them and us is that we only need about 3 different positions to be truly competitive for next season...RG was not a HUGE need. RT,LT & NT are critical for us. So unless a major trade is in the works we will be again left with a mediocre LT and unless someone is released and they shock the football nation we will have one of the leagues worst RT's.
    This is true.

With a LT/RT, and a couple DL, Denver could contend next year.

T situation is a mess.

Not many DL out there either.

Not saying i'd go bapshed crazy, but a guy like Wagner for 9 mil? Or Reifff for whatever he got.
    Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #40

agreed. I'm not panicking, but I think it's ok as fans to be somewhat concerned as to what direction we'll head in when a) we have no LT and the worst RT on the market, and b) there are no more quality tackles left on the market. Just saying that it's an overreaction to wonder these things is in my opinion not a fair statement when the whole point of the offseason was to improve the O-line, not maintain mediocrity. Last season we held that mentality that we didn't need to make any large contracts, and get decent linemen, and look where Okung and Stephenson got us. This year I don't expect how switching out one guard while neglecting to upgrade the biggest concern (RT and LT) is going to make a huge difference. Of course there's still plenty of offseason left, but what does that really mean? We're now forced to trade for a LT or expect a drafted rookie be able to stop the monster edge rushers like Mack, Houston, and Bosa. I could be shortsighted, but I don't think you can argue we're in a good position anymore.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    This is true.

T situation is a mess.

Not saying i'd go bapshed crazy, but a guy like Wagner for 9 mil? Or Reifff for whatever he got.
    Wagner getting 9million shows the market was definitely there, if addressed. 9million for a good tackle is worth it. I've never understood how being cheap on the O line is better. I get you don't want to overvalue a player, but you should definitely be aggressive in approaching talent. Wagner's deal was at least 30% less than market value, and the Lions got a steal because they made that deal early. Every other position on our team is good enough, except for DT. So while we do need to be wise with the cap space, missing the deals for quality starters just to settle for mediocre ones is equally egregious. If you want a good Oline, you pay money for one. You cheap out, you miss the playoffs like we did last year. It's frustrating when you see Wagner and Whitworth who imo got fair deals slip away and we'll likely have a repeat of issues again this season.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 03-09-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    agreed. I'm not panicking, but I think it's ok as fans to be somewhat concerned as to what direction we'll head in when a) we have no LT and the worst RT on the market, and b) there are no more quality tackles left on the market. Just saying that it's an overreaction to wonder these things is in my opinion not a fair statement when the whole point of the offseason was to improve the O-line, not maintain mediocrity. Last season we held that mentality that we didn't need to make any large contracts, and get decent linemen, and look where Okung and Stephenson got us. This year I don't expect how switching out one guard while neglecting to upgrade the biggest concern (RT and LT) is going to make a huge difference. Of course there's still plenty of offseason left, but what does that really mean? We're now forced to trade for a LT or expect a drafted rookie be able to stop the monster edge rushers like Mack, Houston, and Bosa. I could be shortsighted, but I don't think you can argue we're in a good position anymore.
    Spot on.

I think we could go into the year with some combo of McGovern, Garcia, paradis, Schofield at Guard.

The T situation is so bad, coaching can only go so far..

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Wagner getting 9million shows the market was definitely there, if addressed. 9million for a good tackle is worth it. I've never understood how being cheap on the O line is better, because the team is literally strong enough in every other section except defensive tackle. If you want a good Oline, you pay money for one. You cheap out, you miss the playoffs like we did last year. It's frustrating when you see Wagner and Whitworth who imo got fair deals slip away and we'll likely have a repeat of issues again this season.
    Whitworth for 12 mil for 3 years at his age is a little concerning.

But Wagner for 9 mil when we give Stephenson 5 a year? You can literally cut him and sign Wagner and sign Leary. LT idk though.

But given we actually have cap space, and other than TE, ILB, NT, DE, there arent many other gaping holes at least starting wise, a bit confusing. Some of that can be addressed in the draft, especially at TE.

McCoy is a really smart coach, and a new OL coach will help but you still need talent at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ERoyal248 View Post
    This is true.

T situation is a mess.

After what the Chargers gave Okung, all of those other contracts look very nice.
    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    After what the Chargers gave Okung, all of those other contracts look very nice.
    That kind of illustrates the problem right there. The Broncos had Okung under contract and could have kept him if they wished to do so. They chose to let him go, so it is reasonable to assume that they have something better lined up. So...what is it?
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    That kind of illustrates the problem right there. The Broncos had Okung under contract and could have kept him if they wished to do so. They chose to let him go, so it is reasonable to assume that they have something better lined up. So...what is it?
    I too think they have something lined up that didn't particularly involve free agency. My guess is after the FA frenzy that was today, several teams will be pick-starved and willing to make a better trade for LT than before the FA. That's my guess at least, because short of that, I have no idea what this team plans to do about the OT position.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsAway131 View Post

Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I was hoping we had a line on Joe Thomas but it appears the Browns are building a monster OL and they have already stockpiled picks. I think our OL is going to take a small step forward next season, but it won't be enough if we stand pat.
    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

we prolly have the worst OL in the division w/ very little help as of yet little frustrating

But the odds are that because of Leary the Broncos bump Schofield back out to tackle, which I think he'll be much better at this time. So now you're likely 1 player on the line away, and that could be a draft choice. So signing Leary did fill a need.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."