Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos 4-3 defense?

Are the bronco switching back to a 4-3 defense?

The reason I'm asking this is because it seems that John Elway made a pretty strong last ditch effort for Callais Campbell. In my opinion Callais Campbell is a great 4-3 defensive tackle. However I do not really see him fitting in in a 3-4 base.

We also saw Sylvester Williams sign with the Tennessee Titans yesterday which was no surprise to anyone however what other nose tackle do we have on the roster right now other than Kyle Peko?

Elway seems not to be in any type of hurry to sign a defensive tackle nor a nose tackle so I'm just wondering is the writing on the wall here? Are we switching back to 4-3 base defense?

If that is the case I think the bronco seriously need to consider a linebacker a middle linebacker in the first round.
    <a href=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/SjZJ24/media/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/SjZJ24/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg target=_blank>http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse4zwvw5r.jpg</a></a>
    Special thanks to those who have CP'ed me, I'll get ya back

No. Joe Woods already said the defense will stay the same.

Calais Campbell played in a 3-4 defense with Arizona, how would he not be a fit in Denver's 3-4?

Elway tried to keep Williams, but the Titans made a better offer. This draft is deep at DT. There is a bunch of 2nd, 3rd round NTs, especially for a 1-gap scheme. We will find one there and probably bring a cheaper veteran in free agency.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I was thinking about this. In order to pull off a 3-4 you need to have quality NT play. There just isn't many out there. Didn't we run a 4-3 when von first came info the NFL? I know Shane ray was a hnd in the dirt DE in college and did very well for himself.

I dont think we are switching back but If we struggle in the middle it could be possible to see things switch up. I dont expect us to let a guy constantly get abused all season long again.

We would need 2 starting DT in that case, not just the one we need now....

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

We already play more of a 43 than 34, and it's a one gap system that doesn't use a big NT type.
    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I was thinking about this. In order to pull off a 3-4 you need to have quality NT play. There just isn't many out there. Didn't we run a 4-3 when von first came info the NFL? I know Shane ray was a hnd in the dirt DE in college and did very well for himself.

I dont think we are switching back but If we struggle in the middle it could be possible to see things switch up. I dont expect us to let a guy constantly get abused all season long again.
    Alignment is one thing, but how run D is played from it is another. Wade Phillips plays one-gap/spill from an odd front which is more common from a split front. Two-gap/funnel run D is more common from an odd front.

In an odd front two-gap, a 0 tech who commands a double is essential along with a couple of 4/5 techs who occupy blocks. It would probably be easier for Denver to convert from their odd front one-gap to a split front one-gap like Seattle plays. Going to either odd or split two gap would require different personnel. 4-3 would also require a true Mike Backer.

I expect Denver's defensive front will look and play like they have the past two seasons; same coaches.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Poe falls in DEN's lap on a 1-year deal, re-sign Walker and draft 2 DL and the situation solves itself.

Of course, signing Romo and construction a deal centering on Sheldon Richardson for Trevor S will also cure many ills.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    No. Joe Woods already said the defense will stay the same.

Calais Campbell played in a 3-4 defense with Arizona, how would he not be a fit in Denver's 3-4?

Elway tried to keep Williams, but the Titans made a better offer. This draft is deep at DT. There is a bunch of 2nd, 3rd round NTs, especially for a 1-gap scheme. We will find one there and probably bring a cheaper veteran in free agency.
    Because Callais Campbell plays more pass rush style than run in my opinion and he seems to take up a lot of space so I didn't see that is a very good fit here as a three four defensive end taking space away from an edge rusher but that's just my opinion.

Well we signed Domata Peko who is 325 a good run stuffer and probably perfect for 3-4.

Along with 334 lb Zach Kerr from Cincy for DE.

I would say Elway is bulking up to remain 34 without over paying someone like Poe.

It's not like sky was great for us at stopping the run anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Poe falls in DEN's lap on a 1-year deal, re-sign Walker and draft 2 DL and the situation solves itself.

Of course, signing Romo and construction a deal centering on Sheldon Richardson for Trevor S will also cure many ills.
    Signing Romo and trading TS then creates a problem at QB, we won't have a quality backup when Romo gets injured in September.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    Signing Romo and trading TS then creates a problem at QB, we won't have a quality backup when Romo gets injured in September.
    Well the jets trade is out the window anyway after we signed Peko

I believe.

Good signings today for the Defensive line. Let's move on from Romo. Any other FA's left we should target ?

Double check our list of draft candidates for our pick #20, Get the best available, maybe McCaffrey, then a TE and LB.

Bring clady in on a cheap incentive based deal. Hightower and Muarry.

Clady 1 yr 5 million with 3 million in incentives
    Muarry 3 year 11.5 million
    Hightower 1 yr 8 million

Draft OJ Howard in 1st