Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking risks

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs4 View Post
    Cowboys did the same thing last year but it was a esrly 2.. I'd love to invest a 3rd in Jones.

It's certainly a risk. Best case scenario, he ends up like Leon Hall did, twice, and can return fully. Worst case scenario he never plays a down in the NFL. Hopefully for him, especially because of how he suffered the injury, this is just a minor speed bump. But for a team maligned for their drafting in rounds 2 and 3, I'm not sure the risk is worth it.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    Further, I don't understand the preconceived notion of Talib not being with the team next offseason.
    We will either lose Talib or Roby. We won't be able to keep both. And with either loss we will need a quality corner to keep our defense intact.

Quote Originally Posted by NVthosebroncos View Post
    We will either lose Talib or Roby. We won't be able to keep both. And with either loss we will need a quality corner to keep our defense intact.
    Isn't Denver expected to have about $50million in cap space next offseason?
    They're scheduled to have $38million and that's without the cap increase. So I don't understand why Denver can't keep both.

They could keep all 3.. I just don't see Elway paying Roby 10-15 million per year, paying Chris Harris 10.6 million Talib 12 million.. that's 32-37 million a year in Corners

It's definitely a position where Denver won't need a player for 2017, so it has that going for it. And it does also provide an intriguing prospect for 2018 and 2019, at which point both Talib and Roby are scheduled to be out of contract.

I guess it depends on Denver's holes at the time, and who's available when they draft. If Denver is still sitting there with a hole at ILB and the highest rated prospects are a corner who won't play in 2017 or an ILB, I think they have to take the ILB. But if they've filled holes and are feeling good about the depth and what they have for 2017, then yes a risk is a good idea at that point.

They could keep all 3.. I just don't see Elway paying Roby 10-15 million per year, paying Chris Harris 10.6 million Talib 12 million.. that's 32-37 million a year in Corners
    If they're all performing at a high level and the cap room's not a problem, then I don't see a reason to ruin the continuity and cohesiveness of that unit. They're not expected to have any free agents that'll warrant big contract, except for Paradis, maybe Ward(but he's more expendable).

Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    If they're all performing at a high level and the cap room's not a problem, then I don't see a reason to ruin the continuity and cohesiveness of that unit. They're not expected to have any free agents that'll warrant big contract, except for Paradis, maybe Ward(but he's more expendable).
    Paradis is an RFA next year, they'll probably tender him at a 2nd round level, so he'll be under control for another year at below or around $3 million. Assuming Denver stays with Siemian and Lynch, they'll have some financial flexibility for the next couple of years, which can allow them the luxury of 3 high priced corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Paradis is an RFA next year, they'll probably tender him at a 2nd round level, so he'll be under control for another year at below or around $3 million. Assuming Denver stays with Siemian and Lynch, they'll have some financial flexibility for the next couple of years, which can allow them the luxury of 3 high priced corners.
    Thanks for the clarification as I forgot how many consecutive years a player can be tendered as a RFA.
    Damn proud to be a Phi! Brother in the Bond #105 Texas Tau

I think the Bengals are going to take Mixon in the 2nd round. They've spent an extensive amount of time with him. At the combine & they had him in Cincinnati this week. They've never had any problems taking players with off field issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    It could be argued that Clarett's past was less checkered than Mixon's is. As I've said previously, he's not the only talented player in the draft, and not the only talented RB. A position that isn't valued high anymore and starters come from literally all parts of the draft along with UDFAs. I see no reason to waste a pick on a player who will create a PR headache, when you can get similar value elsewhere without the headache.
    I think you and I have gone back and forth on this subject before. So I will spare everyone of this.

My 1st Choice at RB (Since I don't want one at 20) is Alvin Kamara. We should definitely take this kid if he is there in the 2nd. Heck I wouldn't mind trading up for him. He is an every down back who can do it all. He is on the same lines as McCaffrey in talent IMO.

While I would love Mixon as he is my #2 behind the above guy, I don't feel like arguing for 3 days on it. Give me Kamara.

Mixon? No
    Jake Butt? Yes

I'm down for a combo of Lamp/Robinson at 20, Kamara in 2nd, and Jones in the 3rd to pair with Everett!

Quote Originally Posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    I'm down for a combo of Lamp/Robinson at 20, Kamara in 2nd, and Jones in the 3rd to pair with Everett!
    That would be a fantastic draft. Maybe we can find an ILB gem late in the draft.

Here's a bigger risk:

R1: TE OJ Howard
    Alabama 6-6 251 4.51 22-bench

R2: TE Evan Engram used as TE/WR
    Mississippi 6-3 234 4.42 19-bench

R3: RB Joe Mixon
    Oklahoma 6-1 226 4.47

R3 comp pick: CB Sidney Jones
    Washington 6-0 186 4.47

Assuming TE OJ Howard falls to DEN
    AND OL is solidified in FA/later draft rounds.

TEs Howard and Engram give us two red zone threats
    that our anemic offense lacked last year. Add in Mixon
    and...wow!
    Plus, Engram can be lined up anywhere to create
    mismatches everywhere.

Finally, Sidney can sit for a year and learn from the "No-Fly-Zone."

Imagine an offense with:

D. Thomas---Howard---LT-LG-OC-RG-RT-----Engram----Sanders
    ---------------------------Siemian----Mixon

Flame away.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Here's a bigger risk:

R1: TE OJ Howard
    Alabama 6-6 251 4.51 22-bench

R2: TE Evan Engram used as TE/WR
    Mississippi 6-3 234 4.42 19-bench

R3: RB Joe Mixon
    Oklahoma 6-1 226 4.47

R3 comp pick: CB Sidney Jones
    Washington 6-0 186 4.47

Assuming TE OJ Howard falls to DEN
    AND OL is solidified in FA/later draft rounds.

TEs Howard and Engram give us two red zone threats
    that our anemic offense lacked last year. Add in Mixon
    and...wow!
    Plus, Engram can be lined up anywhere to create
    mismatches everywhere.

Finally, Sidney can sit for a year and learn from the "No-Fly-Zone."

Imagine an offense with:

D. Thomas---Howard---LT-LG-OC-RG-RT-----Engram----Sanders
    ---------------------------Siemian----Mixon

Flame away.
    HUGE risk not really. I would like an OL in the second but that would be a really nice draft. Somebody is going to take a chance on the kid from Washington, it might be us.