Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 107
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    7,369
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    Spriggs started 2 games this past year. They sign him in case Bakhtiari was not re-signed but he was. He played LT, LG, and TE this season for the Packers and the word is he will be their starting LG now that TJ lang is gone. He played well last season in his limited reps. Yes, I absolutely would have taken Spriggs in the first and not Lynch. My mock for last year was Spriggs in the first and Dak prescott in the 3rd or 4th.

    Glasgow was just a guy I liked in the draft and was on my short list I didn't have Thuney on my short list.

    How this would be paid...unsure because with different players signed it would change the nature and makeup of the team. ...you asked me who I would have brought in...that's who I. Some guys I wouldn't have had to sign? Okung, Stephenson, Watson, Leary...who might I have let walk?...DT
    Hudson was 2015 so not signing DT would have worked out, I would point out not having DT who had big games vs Detroit, Green Bay, and New England all wins we lose any of those games we are on the road in playoffs and may not have won the SB.
    Spriggs and Glasgow are not proven players yet, but that doesn't mean they won't good players, same can be said for Lynch and Got sister.
    Thank you for explaining what you think would have been a better way to build our oline some posters dog Elways moves but don't have courage to say how they'd have done things, so I give you props for that.
    Let's hope that Watson can stay healthy, we Leary brings a nastiness to the line, we can find a starter in the draft and our new coaching staff can coach them up and find the best 5 guys.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,395
    I love broncos football, I am a passionate football fan in general but over the years I have learned to not get upset or blow things out of proportion. What happens will happen the way it's supposed to. It's just football, it's just entertainment......1 year removed from a championship..... relax and just enjoy the moment. We can't and won't win every year, deal with it

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    7,369
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    The Broncos are in decline. The only team in the division without a resolved situation at QB. The only team in the division without a LT. Low quality free agency two years in a row. If you want to take a step back in free agency, you have to do well in the draft, develop and retain players. Elway has not been drafting well in recent years and he keeps very few of his own players. The 2013 class is completely gone 4 years later.

    The offensive line remains in serious trouble. Besides LT, the RT has been an issue since Orlando Franklin left the position. The defensive line lost its dominance without Malik Jackson and now Derek Wolfe is the only impact player there. NT and the other DE spot don't have viable options. Danny Trevathan was replaced by Todd Davis, with the money being used to sign Donald Stephenson. Things are not looking good. Just face it, it's going to be a rough season.
    OK, well that is one way to look at it, I am excited about this season, we beefed up our dline, added two Olineman who are physical players and can dominate in the run game meaning we should be a better run team and better vs the run.
    Guys like Siemien, Davis, Janovich, Simmons, and Gotsis all going into their second years and a new coach that will benable the teams leader and a real OC to run our offense.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    746
    The thing I cant get past is the lack of care about OT. You have 2 young developmental QBs and are putting together bargain contracts and career revival contracts for Offensive Linemen to help them. They cant draft that well and since they are sort of in a 'win now' mode with this defense for another year or two--I would have liked them to go more all out to get free agents in here for draft picks.

    I dont know about Peters because he is 35 and probably only has 2 productive years left. But I would gladly trade some mid round picks for proven solid players. Offensive Linemen are in such high demand right now I dont know if anybody would be willing to trade any productive linemen unless its a massive overpay. Like a 2nd rounder for a guy whose really worth a 4th.

    Either way, it was extremely disappointing to see such a glaring need and the Broncos did the bare minimum to address it. Leary is a good piece but Watson cannot be counted on for anything. He is a luxury, not a penciled in good starter. By swapping out Okung for Leary and gambling with Watson for his 6-7 games he will be healthy for, this line is only slightly better than last year.

    I would give it a D last year for a grade and with losing Okung and getting Leary/Watson I think now giving it a C- would be a slight overstatement. They still need 2 good capable pieces on the line with the draft and FA and TC roster cuts. The QBs will only develop at the rate the offensive line plays.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    The Broncos are in decline. The only team in the division without a resolved situation at QB. The only team in the division without a LT. Low quality free agency two years in a row. If you want to take a step back in free agency, you have to do well in the draft, develop and retain players. Elway has not been drafting well in recent years and he keeps very few of his own players. The 2013 class is completely gone 4 years later.

    The offensive line remains in serious trouble. Besides LT, the RT has been an issue since Orlando Franklin left the position. The defensive line lost its dominance without Malik Jackson and now Derek Wolfe is the only impact player there. NT and the other DE spot don't have viable options. Danny Trevathan was replaced by Todd Davis, with the money being used to sign Donald Stephenson. Things are not looking good. Just face it, it's going to be a rough season.
    Lots of pessimism here. Some of it is unfounded I think. First, no, we don't have a resolved QB situation. That tends to happen when you lose one of the best ever to retirement. And thank goodness Brock chose to sign with Houston. As it is, we have two young, promising prospects, but we may add Romo. As far as LT is concerned, Oakland has the best one in Penn. KC has Fisher. Meh. SD has... Okung. No pro bowlers there.

    Orlando Franklin was merely decent, nothing special. I seem to recall him and the rest of our O-line being destroyed in the SB by Seattle. As far as Malik Jackson, he wanted huge money and he got it. No way in hell he was worth 90 million, especially considering what Wolfe got. Trevathan got a reasonable contract that we probably should have matched. Oh well. Can't win 'em all.

    Elway's recent drafts? Not all horrible. 2014 gave us quality players in Roby and Paradis. Schofield is decent. 2015 gave us Ray and Siemian. Garcia and Heuerman should contribute more next year. 2016 seems like a good draft. Simmons, Booker, Parks, and Riley all contributed. Gotsis and Lynch have potential. It's also not true to say Elway doesn't keep his own players, unless you're strictly counting players he drafted. Last I checked Elway gave new contracts to Miller, Wolfe, Harris, Stewart, Marshall, Green, Anderson, DT, and Sanders. All of those, except DT, are players Elway acquired and then re-signed.

    You say things aren't looking good. Well, we still have an elite defense. Even if the run D isn't as good as it used to be. Secondary and pass rush are top notch. On the other side of the ball, both Siemian and Lynch should be better than last year. Booker should be, too, which will help if Anderson gets hurt again. Sanders and DT still one of the best WR duos in the league. TEs aren't spectacular, but we could address that in a deep draft class. Finally, O-line. Leary is obviously much better than anyone we had last year. Big upgrade. Garcia will hopefully do better with a power scheme and improved coaching. He at least shouldn't be any worse than last year. Watson is talented, but injury prone. He certainly couldn't be any worse than Stephenson, so he's an upgrade, too. Paradis should be even better with healthy hips. LT is no doubt the biggest concern. At least we're not massively overpaying for Okung. Hopefully, Sambrailo, Schofield, or Stephenson steps up. Perhaps our starter isn't even on the team yet.

    All in all, everything is not as bad as you make it seem.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    306
    I have no faith in Sambrailo whatsoever. I think we are also slightly thin at WR. Who steps up if Sanders or DT goes down? Taylor perhaps? Latimer has the potential but that's about it. A lot of holes to fill and we have slipped to a mediocre roster IMO. At least on O.The D is still elite but we need good rotational players and guys like Ray to step up with a 12+ sack season.
    [URL]www.nrlhub.com[/URL] NRL HUB

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    The Broncos are in decline. The only team in the division without a resolved situation at QB. The only team in the division without a LT. Low quality free agency two years in a row. If you want to take a step back in free agency, you have to do well in the draft, develop and retain players. Elway has not been drafting well in recent years and he keeps very few of his own players. The 2013 class is completely gone 4 years later.

    The offensive line remains in serious trouble. Besides LT, the RT has been an issue since Orlando Franklin left the position. The defensive line lost its dominance without Malik Jackson and now Derek Wolfe is the only impact player there. NT and the other DE spot don't have viable options. Danny Trevathan was replaced by Todd Davis, with the money being used to sign Donald Stephenson. Things are not looking good. Just face it, it's going to be a rough season.
    WOW!!! Talk about a cynical, "glass is half empty" view of the team.

    QB - Actually, the only two reasons that the QB situation isn't resolved is because of Kubiaks illness, we have a totally new Coaching Staff, and there is a possibility that Romo might become available. If Kubiak was still here, and Romo wasn't leaving Dallas, Siemian would be a lock.

    LT -- And actually, we did have a rookie LT, who we Drafted in the 2nd Round in 2015, that was put into the lineup a couple years ago to protect Peyton Mannings blind side, and who has been injured since his 3rd start. Now that he has had an off-season to get into the weight room, he might end up surprising a few people.

    DL - Malik Jackson is gone, and we have a guy in Gotsis who was only a few months away from an ACL surgery when we Drafted him a year ago who has the potential to move into that spot. Frankly, I'm surprised Gotsis wasn't on IR last season. So, now he has some experience. Bill Kollar's head, and job, might be on the line if Gotsis is a flop, so I am expecting a lot of good out of that guy now that he is further away from his ACL surgery. And at a significantly lower Contract.

    And we still have the rest of Free Agency, possible Trades, and the Draft coming up. The off-season isn't over, and I wouldn't be shocked to see some surprises in the Draft.

    So I guess I'm more of a "glass half full" kind of guy.

    And keep in mind that this Team is only 14 months away from a Super Bowl win.
    Last edited by gtown53; 03-16-2017 at 10:37 PM.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,189
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    WOW!!! Talk about a cynical, "glass is half empty" view of the team.

    QB - Actually, the only two reasons that the QB situation isn't resolved is because of Kubiaks illness, we have a totally new Coaching Staff, and there is a possibility that Romo might become available. If Kubiak was still here, and Romo wasn't leaving Dallas, Siemian would be a lock.

    LT -- And actually, we did have a rookie LT, who we Drafted in the 2nd Round in 2015, that was put into the lineup a couple years ago to protect Peyton Mannings blind side, and who has been injured since his 3rd start. Now that he has had an off-season to get into the weight room, he might end up surprising a few people.

    DL - Malik Jackson is gone, and we have a guy in Gotsis who was only a few months away from an ACL surgery when we Drafted him a year ago who has the potential to move into that spot. Frankly, I'm surprised Gotsis wasn't on IR last season. So, now he has some experience. Bill Kollar's head, and job, might be on the line if Gotsis is a flop, so I am expecting a lot of good out of that guy now that he is further away from his ACL surgery. And at a significantly lower Contract.

    And we still have the rest of Free Agency, possible Trades, and the Draft coming up. The off-season isn't over, and I wouldn't be shocked to see some surprises in the Draft.

    So I guess I'm more of a "glass half full" kind of guy.

    And keep in mind that this Team is only 14 months away from a Super Bowl win.
    good luck with that


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampPik4Six View Post
    The thing I cant get past is the lack of care about OT. You have 2 young developmental QBs and are putting together bargain contracts and career revival contracts for Offensive Linemen to help them. They cant draft that well and since they are sort of in a 'win now' mode with this defense for another year or two--I would have liked them to go more all out to get free agents in here for draft picks.
    And that's the thing that concerns me. I'm not panicking, but I am concerned, similar to last year. Even with Peyton here, the O line was clearly a liability. We spent a ton on the defense and locking up DT and Sanders, so maybe Elway said I can get by with Peyton getting rid of the ball quickly or just giving himself up. Peyton still took his fair share of hits and not because he held the ball too long, but because the O line was bad. After Peyton left, we rolled the dice on 2 young QBs without making drastic moves to improve the line. I felt that would make things very difficult last season and might be our downfall. We signed a couple of hopeful improvements this year but I'm feeling the same way. Even if we bring in a vet, we've got to keep him upright, and that's my concern.
    Last edited by champ&dreallday; 03-17-2017 at 07:38 AM.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    5,079
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche



  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    7,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    Hey, Sam, in your opinion who do you think would the more formidable option between Peters and Dunlap? School has me busy as heck, so I haven't kept up with either player and I see that you listen to Tyler Polimbus a lot. Has Polumbus talked about the pros and cons of each player?
    Here's a good article written by Polumbus a couple of days ago.

    However I don't rely on Tyler to give me football information, Ive have to see game film and do my own evaluating otherwise there is no fun in it.

    I do value his opinion on the offensive line for the simple fact that he is a former Super Bowl winning Right Tackle Anyway heres the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Polumbus
    When free agency began, most Denver Broncos fans likely wanted the team pick up a handful of offensive linemen. And if they heard the team added a starting right guard and a starting offensive guard before free agency kicked off, they would probably think it was a great free agency.

    The Broncos added a starting right tackle (potentially a left tackle) in Menelik Watson and a starting guard in Ronald Leary.

    The problem is they currently do not have a starting left tackle on the roster.


    Denver did not pick up the contract option on last year’s starting left tackle, Russell Okung, and he’s now a member of the Los Angeles Rams.

    This is a cause for concern, despite the fact that both Leary and Watson are solid free agent pickups. The most important position on the offensive line, left tackle, remains vacant almost a week into free agency, and the remaining free agent options are sparse.

    Free agent left tackles

    There is one left tackle available who intrigues me: King Dunlap. The Los Angeles Chargers recently released Dunlap after four seasons with the club and new Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who had been the head coach during that time.

    With few free agent left tackles remaining, Dunlap is the only intriguing player for whom the Broncos might pick up, outside of a trade or the NFL draft.

    My assessment of Dunlap:

    Dunlap is one of the tallest tackles I can personally recall playing at a high level in the NFL. This is both a good and bad thing. It is obviously a great advantage in the length he is able to play with in the pass game but also a challenge to overcome with leverage in the run game.

    An adequate left tackle, Dunlap will leave the casual fan scratching his or her heads at times — and leave coaches satisfied enough to keep him as a starter. That may not sound like a ringing endorsement, but a coach’s opinion of players generally has much more leeway than the casual fan because they understand just how difficult it is to find an upgrade in the NFL.

    Dunlap will play well enough for a team to win plenty of football games. Most of the time you will not notice him, but a couple of times a year he will have a mismatch against a guy that will expose his height and leave you thinking his performance is worse than it actually is.

    Should the Broncos sign him? It is really quite simple for me; just ask McCoy.

    McCoy obviously knows Dunlap well and was hired by the Broncos because they obviously trust and seek his opinion.

    I would be fine with the Broncos signing Dunlap if McCoy gives him a vote of confidence. However, if McCoy does not trust him, then the play does not warrant valuing the film more than McCoy’s opinion.

    Left tackles in the draft

    I have a full breakdown on my top three tackles in the draft, but I will save that for another post.

    What I will tell you now, though, is that if you are looking for a starting left tackle in this draft, you better get lucky with an overachiever.

    The top tackles in this draft barely have first-round grades, and offensive lineman in general usually take the longest to develop in the NFL.

    I wouldn’t bank on the draft

    Left tackle options via trade

    Teams don’t generally trade away a starting left tackle without great compensation, so a trade could be difficult to get done.

    However, here are three potential names Denver could acquire via trade:

    Easiest to get: Ty Nsheke of the Washington Redskins.

    Nsheke is the swing tackle for the Redskins, but he got some great experience last year filling in for Trent Williams and played at a high level.

    Best player but tough to get: Jason Peters of the Philadelphia Eagles.

    Jason is scheduled to make $10.45 million this year and was in the conversation for the Eagles to be a cap casualty a few weeks ago.

    Philadelphia said Peters will be back, but with a salary that high, I would imagine the Eagles would let him go to a team that can afford his salary.

    Most likely, based off availability and ability: Jared Veldheer of the Arizona Cardinals.

    Jared is a solid player, yet he was replaced by D.J. Humphries.

    Although Arizona moved Jared to right tackle, he is still a capable left tackle.

    Because the Cardinals are paying him left tackle money to play right tackle, he would be the best value-to-availability player via trade.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    good luck with that
    This is typical of the Scouting Reports on Sambrailo, coming out of college. Most notably is his lack of strength which we have all seen first hand:

    "Strengths

    Sambrailo displays elite athleticism through strong footwork and a quick initial step. He’s able to make up for his lack of strength by maintaining a square frame and excellent leverage against opposing rushers. What’s most impressive is his ability to anticipate an opponent’s pass rushing moves and stymie them on the line before they can even make an advance towards the quarterback.

    Sambrailo is an elite-caliber pass blocker who can also be viable in the running game. While he can sometimes be slow to identify his assignment, he gets to the next level quickly and often finishes by putting an opponent on the ground. Additionally, Sambrailo blocks with a mean-streak, often proving to be the most aggressive player on the field no matter the matchup.

    Weaknesses

    As far as weaknesses go, Sambrailo has very few. Most notable, however, is his lack of strength, which often causes him to be bullied by stronger defensive lineman. There are also times when Sambrailo seems disengaged in the game, during these times you see a lack of will to finish plays and slow reactions towards the point of attack. More than that, Sambrailo could also afford to add more size to his frame and develop more consistency with his balance and hand placement."


    Considering that his Labrum surgery (old injury from College that was agravated), and then his elbow injury has conspired to keep Sambrailo out of the weight room, I believe that there is some hope for the guy. Time will tell.

    But, as I said, I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy!

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18,189
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    This is typical of the Scouting Reports on Sambrailo, coming out of college. Most notably is his lack of strength which we have all seen first hand:

    "Strengths

    Sambrailo displays elite athleticism through strong footwork and a quick initial step. He’s able to make up for his lack of strength by maintaining a square frame and excellent leverage against opposing rushers. What’s most impressive is his ability to anticipate an opponent’s pass rushing moves and stymie them on the line before they can even make an advance towards the quarterback.

    Sambrailo is an elite-caliber pass blocker who can also be viable in the running game. While he can sometimes be slow to identify his assignment, he gets to the next level quickly and often finishes by putting an opponent on the ground. Additionally, Sambrailo blocks with a mean-streak, often proving to be the most aggressive player on the field no matter the matchup.

    Weaknesses

    As far as weaknesses go, Sambrailo has very few. Most notable, however, is his lack of strength, which often causes him to be bullied by stronger defensive lineman. There are also times when Sambrailo seems disengaged in the game, during these times you see a lack of will to finish plays and slow reactions towards the point of attack. More than that, Sambrailo could also afford to add more size to his frame and develop more consistency with his balance and hand placement."


    Considering that his Labrum surgery (old injury from College that was agravated), and then his elbow injury has conspired to keep Sambrailo out of the weight room, I believe that there is some hope for the guy. Time will tell.

    But, as I said, I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy!
    read the reports from the senior bowl. he got dominated by anyone and everyone there...even guys who didn't get drafted, iirc. That report is absolutely wrong....elite caliber pass blocker????...very few weaknesses????


    edit...
    here is one blurb from the senior bowl..this was against college players...not NFL vets. And now they are switching to more of a power scheme...he will only be worse there than he would in a zone scheme.

    Not to make this an anti-Ty brigade, but Sambrailo had a chance to really show himself as a top 40 pick in Mobile. He didn't. Sambrailo's play clearly shows he's a player who has to add strength and may need to sit a year to do so in an NFL strength program. If he does get stronger, Sambrailo is a good left tackle candidate because of his flexibility and foot quickness. But defensive players often drove him backward and shed him during practices.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-17-2017 at 09:59 AM.


    CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,054
    I was beginning to panic about the lack of panic, but now that I see there is panic, I can stop panicking...whew.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    read the reports from the senior bowl. he got dominated by anyone and everyone there...even guys who didn't get drafted, iirc. That report is absolutely wrong....elite caliber pass blocker????...very few weaknesses????


    edit...
    here is one blurb from the senior bowl..this was against college players...not NFL vets. And now they are switching to more of a power scheme...he will only be worse there than he would in a zone scheme.

    Not to make this an anti-Ty brigade, but Sambrailo had a chance to really show himself as a top 40 pick in Mobile. He didn't. Sambrailo's play clearly shows he's a player who has to add strength and may need to sit a year to do so in an NFL strength program. If he does get stronger, Sambrailo is a good left tackle candidate because of his flexibility and foot quickness. But defensive players often drove him backward and shed him during practices.
    Yeah. That's pretty much what I just Posted. Sambrailo wasn't a "top 40 pick", and he wasn't taken in the top 40 by the Broncos. Sambrailo lacked strength and was going to be something of a "project". And with the shoulder surgery and the elbow injury, he wasn't able to address those issues until recently. Nobody is going to mistake Ty Sambrailo with Joe Thomas.

    The Broncos were very aware of Sambrailo's Senior Bowl experience, some of which was relative to moving Sambrailo to Right Tackle, a position Sambrailo hadn't played in over two years previously. This was Posted, on the Broncos web site at the time, and indicates that the Broncos were aware of his situation.

    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...e-08dc0e2bf299

    My only point is that Sambrailo has been injured since the 3rd game of his rookie season when he was our Left Tackle starter, and we need to let it play out. But yeah, at this point Sambrailo is nothing more than a "Prospect".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •