Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,509

    Start Today....Hey, Tomorrow Is Fine Too

    Every so often I get the urge to plug something here. It's all about giving oneself a boost of some sort, to get moving forward when one may just want to stay put. But the message works for me, and hopefully one or two others......the message of pushing yourself a little bit to make your life a little more exciting, maybe more meaningful.

    Sometimes I talk to folks who seem to be in a slump, or rut of some sort. It is completely normal, and it often gets resolved with some simple steps. Now, I do appreciate that some folks are in a little deeper, and may even need a bigger change....maybe a session with someone, or possibly a visit to a pro. But today's topic is not quite that deep. But just know this, it is completely understandable to get help when needed. Many, many, many people do, and it is nothing to think twice about.

    But for those who are in a mini slump, or even feeling just fine, and like "shaking the trees" of life, I have a simple suggestion/reminder, that might be worth trying.....today, or as I say, as soon as you are up to it.

    And what is it? SIMPLY......trying something new, or something old that you have stopped. Maybe a course, or a trip, or a promotion opportunity, or new style, or going to something you have never gone to before.

    For me, it's time to go find that old guitar somewhere down the basement, and practising, and learning. You never know, being a rock star may still be in the cards!!!!

    Well, I have a better chance at swimming across the ocean, but still, maybe this all tells me something.......



    Anyway.....yes, this is the time for me to act. Find that guitar. Take a course.....perhaps I need to learn some Italian for my next visit to that wonderful country. And though I have talked about it, myself and the "young lady" I dwell with are committed to getting tattoos very soon. Got mine picked out!

    Maybe get back into paddling this summer. Plan some trips......still haven't made it to NYC! Morocco sometime in the next year or so. Maybe another canuck trip, to beautiful BC, or heck, a thousand places on my mind.

    And yes, get that book written!!!!!!

    Lets go for it!
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-16-2017 at 01:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,229
    Change is in the Can!

    A tatted up (“sleaved”) rock star, jamming on his axe! Epic!

    Good ideas, all of them! I’ve always been partial to a pilgrimage…often alone. Take time to step out of the confined box that is (for most of us) our lives, and see something you’ve never seen. Some of the greatest epiphanies I’ve ever had were found in this way.

    And get a tattoo while you’re out there!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Change is in the Can!

    A tatted up (“sleaved”) rock star, jamming on his axe! Epic!

    Good ideas, all of them! I’ve always been partial to a pilgrimage…often alone. Take time to step out of the confined box that is (for most of us) our lives, and see something you’ve never seen. Some of the greatest epiphanies I’ve ever had were found in this way.

    And get a tattoo while you’re out there!
    Hey pal.....figured you'd have an approach to this. I am quite familiar with folks and pilgrimages. Though I do not practice my religion as I once did, not because I no longer believe, sometimes I can visualize the value of doing such a thing. I always remember growing up as a Catholic kid, and how some of the men would go on retreats, over a weekend. Quiet time, to pray, to think, to refresh. My Dad was very religious but did not go, but my dear ole uncle did....maybe more than once. I think he enjoyed it. And as I say, I do not practice the way I did, but I can walk in a church anytime and feel some comfort in being there. May be my roots that give me that warmth, but definitely a good feeling no matter the reason.

    You may speak of other type of pilgrimages, and essentially I believe they all have some things in common. Some serenity. Some time to think freely. A place where we are free from noise and distraction. I like it.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-18-2017 at 09:55 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    14,083
    A thread about procrastination?


    I add comments tomorrow.....In a bit of a rut.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,509
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    A thread about procrastination?


    I add comments tomorrow.....In a bit of a rut.
    Hey dude.....tomorrow is fine! (cuz it says so at the top)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey pal.....figured you'd have an approach to this. I am quite familiar with folks and pilgrimages. Though I do not practice my religion as I once did, not because I no longer believe, sometimes I can visualize the value of doing such a thing. I always remember growing up as a Catholic kid, and how some of the men would go on retreats, over a weekend. Quiet time, to pray, to think, to refresh. My Dad was very religious but did not go, but my dear ole uncle did....maybe more than once. I think he enjoyed it. And as I say, I do not practice the way I did, but I can walk in a church anytime and feel some comfort in being there. May be my roots that give me that warmth, but definitely a good feeling no matter the reason.

    You may speak of other type of pilgrimages, and essentially I believe they all have some things in common. Some serenity. Some time to think freely. A place where we are free from noise and distraction. I like it.
    Hey bud! I too am not religious...I just fancy a magical journey from time to time to recharge a weathered soul.

    Calm serenity free of noise and distraction - truly bliss. Though, I remember one such trip a while back that was anything but...but one of the most memorable.

    I snuck up to the Sierras alone just after my birthday in late summer 2009. I told no one. I waited until around midnight and drove from the town of June Lake to Tioga Pass into Yosemite National Park. As I was ascending the steep eastern escarpment, I noticed the moon was a deep reddish hue. Transfixed on this red moon, I noticed its reflection in the lakes passed along the way toward the crest of the mountains. A red moon, glistening over the wind swept waters? I didn't understand (I knew there was no lunar eclipse), but kept driving spellbound.

    As I crossed the mountains and descended toward Yosemite Valley, the answer revealed itself in a cloud of dense smoke. There was a forest fire, a big one, and I was driving right into it. The closer I got to Yosemite, the denser the smoke became...until I could barely see the road. Firefighters were in the process of closing Tioga Pass, and they had just shut the road down. From where I was in the darkness, I could look out upon Yosemite…burning in a sea of fire, under a swirling red sky. It was after midnight, but the sky was a glowing blood red from the fire reflecting off the smoke. I sat there for a moment, transfixed at the scene.

    After a few minutes, I got back in my car and drove back to June Lake. Outside of fire fighting vehicles, I was the only car on the road in either direction. The next day they had closed the entire mountain pass as the fire was still not contained...how or why I was able to drive out to an out of control forest fire, I'll never know.

    But on that night, I stood and watched the Big Meadow Fire - Yosemite under a glowing blood red sky. Not a single soul knew where I was that night. I returned home with a very different outlook on the world.

    But back to the thread, changing the tempo of your life is hugely important to experience movement in a different direction, to add dimension to being. Life is really big story and so many have yet to flip a few pages.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Hey bud! I too am not religious...I just fancy a magical journey from time to time to recharge a weathered soul.

    Calm serenity free of noise and distraction - truly bliss. Though, I remember one such trip a while back that was anything but...but one of the most memorable.

    I snuck up to the Sierras alone just after my birthday in late summer 2009. I told no one. I waited until around midnight and drove from the town of June Lake to Tioga Pass into Yosemite National Park. As I was ascending the steep eastern escarpment, I noticed the moon was a deep reddish hue. Transfixed on this red moon, I noticed its reflection in the lakes passed along the way toward the crest of the mountains. A red moon, glistening over the wind swept waters? I didn't understand (I knew there was no lunar eclipse), but kept driving spellbound.

    As I crossed the mountains and descended toward Yosemite Valley, the answer revealed itself in a cloud of dense smoke. There was a forest fire, a big one, and I was driving right into it. The closer I got to Yosemite, the denser the smoke became...until I could barely see the road. Firefighters were in the process of closing Tioga Pass, and they had just shut the road down. From where I was in the darkness, I could look out upon Yosemite…burning in a sea of fire, under a swirling red sky. It was after midnight, but the sky was a glowing blood red from the fire reflecting off the smoke. I sat there for a moment, transfixed at the scene.

    After a few minutes, I got back in my car and drove back to June Lake. Outside of fire fighting vehicles, I was the only car on the road in either direction. The next day they had closed the entire mountain pass as the fire was still not contained...how or why I was able to drive out to an out of control forest fire, I'll never know.

    But on that night, I stood and watched the Big Meadow Fire - Yosemite under a glowing blood red sky. Not a single soul knew where I was that night. I returned home with a very different outlook on the world.

    But back to the thread, changing the tempo of your life is hugely important to experience movement in a different direction, to add dimension to being. Life is really big story and so many have yet to flip a few pages.
    Wow.....what a story! I think you learned a vital lesson....going it alone is great until a fire breaks out!!! (or a storm hits, or a medical problem arises). It makes me think about that tragic story "Into The Wild". That made me sad. He seemed to figure out the importance of others, but it was too late. BUT, solace is important, and we are talking exceptions to the rule. In life we have to go it alone at times. Otherwise we do not connect with who we are. I believe we will experience that when we leave this earth. Family and friends may even surround us, but the moment will come when we move forward by ourselves. It may be brief....I sure hope so!!!

    OK.....getting deeper than I should. Your description of the scenery makes me think you had an experience few others will. And the whole concept of "no one knows where I am" is kind of thrilling, and yet, grounding. I think we all need to feel that way at times. Again with exception,......just like my friend telling us he nearly drowned in the mighty Pacific on his vacation. Being alone sometimes should include....having some form of lifeline.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-19-2017 at 09:33 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Wow.....what a story! I think you learned a vital lesson....going it alone is great until a fire breaks out!!! (or a storm hits, or a medical problem arises). It makes me think about that tragic story "Into The Wild". That made me sad. He seemed to figure out the importance of others, but it was too late. BUT, solace is important, and we are talking exceptions to the rule. In life we have to go it alone at times. Otherwise we do not connect with who we are. I believe we will experience that when we leave this earth. Family and friends may even surround us, but the moment will come when we move forward by ourselves. It may be brief....I sure hope so!!!

    OK.....getting deeper than I should. Your description of the scenery makes me think you had an experience few others will. And the whole concept of "no one knows where I am" is kind of thrilling, and yet, grounding. I think we all need to feel that way at times. Again with exception,......just like my friend telling us he nearly drowned in the mighty Pacific on his vacation. Being alone sometimes should include....having some form of lifeline.
    I loved that movie and can relate to it...all that is gained and all that is lost. It's like betting your life savings on one hand of poker. Glad your friend was ok. Terrifying thing to almost drown...a lifeline definitely has its advantages.

    But certainly, you don't want to lose family...nor see them do this. I recognize the selfishness of my behavior sometimes, though, it has a backstory - a long winded story for some other day.

    It's strange but, had I told everyone where I was going, it wouldn't have had the same impact to witness it. The complete temporary disconnection from everyone and everything is like a hard reboot of the human mind. I don't recommend it on a regular basis for exactly the reasons you mention, as it can be stressful on family and friends (with good reason). But, when your life is in a rut, if you're depressed, if you just need to let go and 'wing it,' or jump start a new chapter, it can be tremendously impacting (just from my own personal experience).

    Just be careful out there!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    I loved that movie and can relate to it...all that is gained and all that is lost. It's like betting your life savings on one hand of poker. Glad your friend was ok. Terrifying thing to almost drown...a lifeline definitely has its advantages.

    But certainly, you don't want to lose family...nor see them do this. I recognize the selfishness of my behavior sometimes, though, it has a backstory - a long winded story for some other day.

    It's strange but, had I told everyone where I was going, it wouldn't have had the same impact to witness it. The complete temporary disconnection from everyone and everything is like a hard reboot of the human mind. I don't recommend it on a regular basis for exactly the reasons you mention, as it can be stressful on family and friends (with good reason). But, when your life is in a rut, if you're depressed, if you just need to let go and 'wing it,' or jump start a new chapter, it can be tremendously impacting (just from my own personal experience).

    Just be careful out there!
    Listen mate, most of us need a reboot now and again. What works for each of us may be different. The good news, if one can figure out what does work for them. And in this case, I completely understand your method......and though you did not elaborate as to why, I think I get it already.

    This may be different, but have you ever fallen (or almost) fallen asleep while driving? I almost did once, with my whole family in the car, on a vacation. I will never forget the anxiety that took over the second I realized what had happened!!!! In some ways, I think that's akin to the reboot we talk about. One moment, almost asleep, another....COMPLETELY AWAKE!!! It's a jolt we get, that makes tired and worn turn into keen and totally aware, with purpose.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Listen mate, most of us need a reboot now and again. What works for each of us may be different. The good news, if one can figure out what does work for them. And in this case, I completely understand your method......and though you did not elaborate as to why, I think I get it already.

    This may be different, but have you ever fallen (or almost) fallen asleep while driving? I almost did once, with my whole family in the car, on a vacation. I will never forget the anxiety that took over the second I realized what had happened!!!! In some ways, I think that's akin to the reboot we talk about. One moment, almost asleep, another....COMPLETELY AWAKE!!! It's a jolt we get, that makes tired and worn turn into keen and totally aware, with purpose.
    Yes, once. That's freaky, too (especially with your family in the car)!

    I was all alone on a marathon drive and began to doze off. You "wake up" a few seconds later in an abrupt panic (if you're lucky that is) and catch yourself drifting out of your lane. A jolt is right...you almost have a heart attack.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Yes, once. That's freaky, too (especially with your family in the car)!

    I was all alone on a marathon drive and began to doze off. You "wake up" a few seconds later in an abrupt panic (if you're lucky that is) and catch yourself drifting out of your lane. A jolt is right...you almost have a heart attack.
    Look forward when you "abruptly" find some time to post here again......






  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,509
    Ooooops......I see that it's tomorrow already. Time to get going!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •