Is Everyone Keeping Up With The Pats?

Listen, what The Pats have done so far in the offseason is not mind boggling, or "crazy good", if you get my drift. But the fact they did win The SB, minus Gronk, and have taken some decent steps to upgrade, are we and other teams staying too tight, or are we making a clear cut case for why we should be in the running in the power rankings (btw....power rankings are not the core issue here).

And The Pats may make yet another deal or two, including ones that could reap them some good draft picks. Whether it be Jimmy G, or Butler....or otherwise.

If you know me at all, you know I am anti Pats. But I have to be honest, and give credit where it's due. So far, for a championship team with a lot of great parts, The Pats have been busy, and seemingly making improvements. Losing Bennett is one thing, but they have positioned themselves in the TE position quite nicely already. And Hightower stayed. Cook is a very nice addition, speed and all. Gilmore is solid. Ealy can add spot duty. There are more.

So folks.....is it time for others to step it up? Are we close enough as is? What makes anyone think they are not going back to The Dance? Help me understand!!

On the surface it looks great, especially in comparison to what the Broncos lost after their SB win but I don't believe they improved as much as others claim. If you look at their board, they have a thread about where to book hotels in Minnesota. Lets not pretend that they dominated last year. They were the inferior team in the SB and it took the Falcons to have the most epic breakdown I can remember.

Breaking down their moves:

1.) Bennett > Allen (lose 4th rounder, gain 6th)
    2.) Cooks > Every WR on roster with the exception of Edelman (lose 1st and 3rd rounder)
    3.) Gilmore = Butler? - I'm iffy on this one. Gilmore can maybe turn it around after a poor year but he was even benched at one point for the Bills last season. They have the staff to coach him up but 14 million/year is a lot for a guy that is coming off his worst season as a pro.
    4.) The Kony Ealy trade could be boom or bust. This one really got me angry because he has a ton of potential and the Patriots moved down 8 slots in their trade to take a gamble.
    5.) Signing Hightower was huge. They had the money to keep a key FA and eventually did. They failed to sign Ryan.
    6.) Which brings me to their best cover corner in Butler. It appears that the Saints are making a strong push to sign him. If they let him go, they can recoup a pick but they are left with Gilmore as their only proven starter at corner.

They certainly improved the WR position. If Butler walks, they are weaker in the secondary, even with the addition of Gilmore. Bennett is better than Allen. They no longer have a 1st or 2nd rounder in a very strong class. They can recoup some with a JG trade. If Cleveland offers the #12, you take that and run but Bill seems keen on keeping him.

With all that said, the Patriots are still the team to beat in the AFC but they are far from unbeatable.

The Pats have gotten alot of hype as usual but their FA moves are been very iffy imo, I don't believe BB does a great job in FA and the draft historically. The trouble is when you have Brady and a really weak division you get the horrible combination with a likely Pats #1 record which means they get to play at home in the playoffs. Big advantage.

Regarding Denver. I'm not too impressed with our FA moves. Far too many question marks have been brought in and we had the money to make a big signing. IF we get Romo I will change my views.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    On the surface it looks great, especially in comparison to what the Broncos lost after their SB win but I don't believe they improved as much as others claim. If you look at their board, they have a thread about where to book hotels in Minnesota. Lets not pretend that they dominated last year. They were the inferior team in the SB and it took the Falcons to have the most epic breakdown I can remember.

Breaking down their moves:

1.) Bennett > Allen (lose 4th rounder, gain 6th)
    2.) Cooks > Every WR on roster with the exception of Edelman (lose 1st and 3rd rounder)
    3.) Gilmore = Butler? - I'm iffy on this one. Gilmore can maybe turn it around after a poor year but he was even benched at one point for the Bills last season. They have the staff to coach him up but 14 million/year is a lot for a guy that is coming off his worst season as a pro.
    4.) The Kony Ealy trade could be boom or bust. This one really got me angry because he has a ton of potential and the Patriots moved down 8 slots in their trade to take a gamble.
    5.) Signing Hightower was huge. They had the money to keep a key FA and eventually did. They failed to sign Ryan.
    6.) Which brings me to their best cover corner in Butler. It appears that the Saints are making a strong push to sign him. If they let him go, they can recoup a pick but they are left with Gilmore as their only proven starter at corner.

They certainly improved the WR position. If Butler walks, they are weaker in the secondary, even with the addition of Gilmore. Bennett is better than Allen. They no longer have a 1st or 2nd rounder in a very strong class. They can recoup some with a JG trade. If Cleveland offers the #12, you take that and run but Bill seems keen on keeping him.

With all that said, the Patriots are still the team to beat in the AFC but they are far from unbeatable.
    Interesting, thoughtful assessment! Thx for that! (I wanna believe it!!)

Don't forget.... trading for Ealy but losing both Sheard and Long doesn't exactly scream BIG VICTORY to me.

And, potentially losing both starting CBs isn't a great thing either.

Cooks is a nice get, but we shall see.

Still, if HOU or DEN get Romo.... they could threaten NE. Maybe OAK has a shot....
    Last edited by fraguela09; 03-16-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Don't forget.... trading for Ealy but losing both Sheard and Long doesn't exactly scream BIG VICTORY to me.

And, potentially losing both starting CBs isn't a great thing either.

Cooks is a nice get, but we shall see.

Still, if HOU or DEN get Romo.... they could threaten NE. Maybe OAK has a shot....
    It'd because most people are simply associating Kony to his super bowl performance. They have no idea that he's been incredibly average besides that game.

I think its the fact that they typically make up what they lose or have a plan in place for it. When we lose key players we don't really have an answer in the works or the replacement plan just doesn't work out. Back to back free agencies where this seems to be the case. Gotta do a better job of establishing a plan B for potential free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I think its the fact that they typically make up what they lose or have a plan in place for it. When we lose key players we don't really have an answer in the works or the replacement plan just doesn't work out. Back to back free agencies where this seems to be the case. Gotta do a better job of establishing a plan B for potential free agents.
    All of their replacements this year have been through free agency. How's that different than what you just said our plan typically seems to be?

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    I see your point but they also have the cap space this year to replace what they've lost. Denver simply didn't have the money to keep Malik and Trevathan. I guess the Patriots do plan better for those sort of things though.

Pats are on their way to another Super Bowl appearance.