Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,245

    The "Breaking News" Epidemic

    Like most other "exaggerated" terms, Breaking News has lost much of its glow. At one time, it was an exciting, "can't miss" tactic that made us stop in our tracks. And sometimes I still find my heart pumping when I see it on screen, although it depends on what station and in what context.

    True enough, it is breaking news if it is "new" news. It just happened.....so without over-analyzing, it is sort of an accurate label. BUT we all know that it is usually meant to catch our attention, and make us stop to watch.

    Some shows are a bit pathetic in the way they overuse the phrase. It becomes a bit like crying wolf, as some of us no longer believe it will be anything more than a small event. And even in sports, like NFL Network, sometimes the blurb on the bottom of the screen is not quite as new as they try to lead us to believe. I see "Breaking News", but I know the story.

    But yes, once upon a time it was a big deal whenever I saw it show up. Just like all the huge stories in our lives, when we first get a glance at it, it has the propensity to charge us up. We are shocked or surprised or even stunned. But nowadays, with the sometimes "over dramatic/ratings based" injections of news, we can't help but get a little immune to the process.

    Then again, I am as guilty as them.....as I can't resist a little drama now and again. Plus it is unfortunate but mostly true, that we humans can't seem to look away at the sign of an accident or something abnormal. It's in our DNA I believe.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Like most other "exaggerated" terms, Breaking News has lost much of its glow. At one time, it was an exciting, "can't miss" tactic that made us stop in our tracks. And sometimes I still find my heart pumping when I see it on screen, although it depends on what station and in what context.

    True enough, it is breaking news if it is "new" news. It just happened.....so without over-analyzing, it is sort of an accurate label. BUT we all know that it is usually meant to catch our attention, and make us stop to watch.

    Some shows are a bit pathetic in the way they overuse the phrase. It becomes a bit like crying wolf, as some of us no longer believe it will be anything more than a small event. And even in sports, like NFL Network, sometimes the blurb on the bottom of the screen is not quite as new as they try to lead us to believe. I see "Breaking News", but I know the story.

    But yes, once upon a time it was a big deal whenever I saw it show up. Just like all the huge stories in our lives, when we first get a glance at it, it has the propensity to charge us up. We are shocked or surprised or even stunned. But nowadays, with the sometimes "over dramatic/ratings based" injections of news, we can't help but get a little immune to the process.

    Then again, I am as guilty as them.....as I can't resist a little drama now and again. Plus it is unfortunate but mostly true, that we humans can't seem to look away at the sign of an accident or something abnormal. It's in our DNA I believe.
    It's in our DNA for sure. But, it's the manufactured drama that irritates me; the completely bogus headlines or scripted nonsense on TV. Take "reality TV" - let's pick a show at random......um...Naked and Afraid. So, they'll have a girl who talks of hating authority, then pair her with a type-A personality cop.

    Hey, wow - they don't get along during difficult circumstances...I didn't see that coming.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    It's in our DNA for sure. But, it's the manufactured drama that irritates me; the completely bogus headlines or scripted nonsense on TV. Take "reality TV" - let's pick a show at random......um...Naked and Afraid. So, they'll have a girl who talks of hating authority, then pair her with a type-A personality cop.

    Hey, wow - they don't get along during difficult circumstances...I didn't see that coming.
    So being naked wasn't "enough in common"?

    But yes, like those stories we hear that certain "animal" shows staged events so that the poor, sweet animal has no chance to get away from a hungry, ferocious tiger. Sad stuff.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So being naked wasn't "enough in common"?

    But yes, like those stories we hear that certain "animal" shows staged events so that the poor, sweet animal has no chance to get away from a hungry, ferocious tiger. Sad stuff.
    Now you're just stripping the show down bare.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Now you're just stripping the show down bare.
    There is something very raw in what you say!

    I could never go on that show....I'd be constantly walking into trees and stepping on sharp objects. Lets just say I might be focussed on the wrong thing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,485
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    There is something very raw in what you say!

    I could never go on that show....I'd be constantly walking into trees and stepping on sharp objects. Lets just say I might be focussed on the wrong thing.
    Your survival item would be duct tape.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Your survival item would be duct tape.
    I may be misinterpreting your suggestion.....because I am in pain just thinking about what I might use it for!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,485
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I may be misinterpreting your suggestion.....because I am in pain just thinking about what I might use it for!
    No, you got it. lol.

    If I were on that show, I would just bring a prophylactic as my survival tool. Probably be worth it just to see the reaction. Then when she starts complaining about it, I'd just demonstrate how you can use it to carry water.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    No, you got it. lol.

    If I were on that show, I would just bring a prophylactic as my survival tool. Probably be worth it just to see the reaction. Then when she starts complaining about it, I'd just demonstrate how you can use it to carry water.
    You are so smart!!! Might be a little tough explaining to the wife, but has multiple purposes, including "a balloon" if celebrations are in order, or a container for small fish if you have too much food at the moment, or when you need something "stretchy".

    The concept of married individuals sleeping naked with a stranger does make things a little unusual.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    13,976
    Isn't all news " breaking news"
    News is defined as:

    newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.

    So really the word breaking is that it is breaking up something we are already watching to report something new.... which is news.

    I hate catch phrases.

    Like

    Anything involving "gate"
    we’re getting word
    could not be reached for comment
    police are investigating
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,485
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    You are so smart!!! Might be a little tough explaining to the wife, but has multiple purposes, including "a balloon" if celebrations are in order, or a container for small fish if you have too much food at the moment, or when you need something "stretchy".

    The concept of married individuals sleeping naked with a stranger does make things a little unusual.
    Yep. Floatation device, because you know they're going to make you cross an alligator infested river during the extraction.

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Isn't all news " breaking news"
    News is defined as:

    newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.

    So really the word breaking is that it is breaking up something we are already watching to report something new.... which is news.

    I hate catch phrases.

    Like

    Anything involving "gate"
    we’re getting word
    could not be reached for comment
    police are investigating
    "police are investigating" lol. Always liked that one.

    I also like when there's a blizzard going on, and they advise people to stay off the roads.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    13,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Yep. Floatation device, because you know they're going to make you cross an alligator infested river during the extraction.



    "police are investigating" lol. Always liked that one.

    I also like when there's a blizzard going on, and they advise people to stay off the roads.
    HahA. I know. What else are they doing? Watching the news?
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Broncos: Pat Bowlen, Chris Harris Jr.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sharkdom of Snowdonia,Wales
    Posts
    14,469
    I don't much like the breaking news from London right now

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    I don't much like the breaking news from London right now
    Sorry Jawsie, that is tragic news. That is the kind of breaking news we do not want to hear about.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    24,245
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Isn't all news " breaking news"
    News is defined as:

    newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events.

    So really the word breaking is that it is breaking up something we are already watching to report something new.... which is news.

    I hate catch phrases.

    Like

    Anything involving "gate"
    we’re getting word
    could not be reached for comment
    police are investigating
    True enough, but I would argue that "sensationalized" breaking news is an aspect of today's media that is over used and purposely aimed to increase viewership.....which of course, is pretty much the way of the land these days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •