Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Justice League

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    True, Johns was co-producer and creative consultant on Green Lantern and executive producer on BvS and neither of those turned out as well as they could have or should have. After that, DC Films was organized in May of last year and they brought in Jon Berg to co-run it.

I haven't seen Arrow or Flash yet, but I'll take your word for it that they are good -they look good! What they probably need to do is subdivide further according to strengths and weaknesses. Like Jeph Loeb (who worked on Smallville with Johns) runs Marvel Television, so perhaps Johns needs to run a "DC TV" division, coordinating continuity in the DCEU with Jon Berg? And maybe hire another great film producer for DC films? Dunno.
    Arrow's hit or miss, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow are both very solid shows. Arrow was good in season one and two, season three was ok, season four was a train wreck, season five was back to being good again and of course season six is still happening and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

They do?

Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman and The Flash TV series on the CW are installments of the new "DC Expanded Universe" which precede Justice League to set it up. Do you think they needed more, or did you just skip these movies?
    No he's entirely right... And the flash TV show is not part of the movie universe at all. The thing about the Marvel side of things, they've been setting up this big bad for ages, building towards a climax. DC just basically climaxed early. I admittedly haven't seen Justice League yet, but it's too early to jump into Steppenwolfe/Darkseid. Work on some smaller struggles first, save that for the second or third Justice League movie. We're talking about one of DC's bigger villains here.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    No he's entirely right... And the flash TV show is not part of the movie universe at all. The thing about the Marvel side of things, they've been setting up this big bad for ages, building towards a climax. DC just basically climaxed early. I admittedly haven't seen Justice League yet, but it's too early to jump into Steppenwolfe/Darkseid. Work on some smaller struggles first, save that for the second or third Justice League movie. We're talking about one of DC's bigger villains here.
    Oh I didn't realize that about Flash. I just read about the separate universes now, kind of a weird decision to do things that way, but I can see the pros as well as the cons in doing so.

Yeah Darkseid is indeed a big one, and Captainbronco comment about the cgi villain may point to a broader issue about them -- they are really hard to do, very hard to adapt and make them believable and relatable to the audience. Like Apocalypse in the last X-Men film, nobody cared about him, he was just a simple baddie force of destruction with a singular motive, in contrast to the more humanistic, tragic, internally-conflicted suffering side of Magneto played by real actors. Even though there's been lots of "setup" for Thanos, I don't yet see evidence of a complicated character there either, so I worry about the same thing happening in Infinity War.

So you think they should have waited until the 2020's for Darkseid? They were probably looking at it fiscally, to compete with Marvel, like "let's wheel out the 'big guns'" to try to capture their share of the superhero market.

Who or what else could the Justice League have faced instead? Any ideas?
    Last edited by L.M.; 11-18-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

They do?

Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman and The Flash TV series on the CW are installments of the new "DC Expanded Universe" which precede Justice League to set it up. Do you think they needed more, or did you just skip these movies?
    Flash isn't part of the DCEU. I think it was a mistake using cyborg who is known more as a teen titan over Martian manhunter and green lantern. I know there's bad memories of green lantern but if they needed a token black guy on their team they could've went with Jon Stewart.

Oh I didn't realize that about Flash. I just read about the separate universes now, kind of a weird decision to do things that way, but I can see the pros as well as the cons in doing so.

Yeah Darkseid is indeed a big one, and Captainbronco comment about the cgi villain may point to a broader issue about them -- they are really hard to do, very hard to adapt and make them believable and relatable to the audience. Like Apocalypse in the last X-Men film, nobody cared about him, he was just a simple baddie force of destruction with a singular motive, in contrast to the more humanistic, tragic, internally-conflicted suffering side of Magneto played by real actors. Even though there's been lots of "setup" for Thanos, I don't yet see evidence of a complicated character there either, so I worry about the same thing happening in Infinity War.

So you think they should have waited until the 2020's for Darkseid? They were probably looking at it fiscally, to compete with Marvel, like "let's wheel out the 'big guns'" to try to capture their share of the superhero market.

Who are what else could the Justice League have faced instead? Any ideas?
    Braniac is a good villain

I thought Justice League was pretty good. Popcorn flick just like everyone says. Steppenwolf looking like a video-game villain definitely was distracting. Unless the CGI is amazing, the audience is going to reject a character like that. He is one-dimensional as well but so was Loki in the first Avengers movie (though Loki himself is a great villain).

I'm not so sure they went "too early" on Darkseid because he still hasn't been the villain in the movie. There definitely would have been more impact if Aquaman, Cyborg, and the Flash had their own movies first for sure.

I heard a rumor about Supergirl that I thought was interesting (and if you remember the ship in MoS). I haven't seen it in a lot of places around the net. Kinda spoilerific if I talk about it because it involved her and a few scenes in this movie. Probably have to wait a few weeks.

There's a ton of fun teasers with characters in this movie though. I'm not sure we'll see it play out if this movie bombs, and it's not looking good. The rush hurt them, and man was BvS universally hated.
    You've got to know when to sack em...

Okay, let me ask you folks who saw it, is it worth the price of admission, or would you have rather waited for video?

Okay, let me ask you folks who saw it, is it worth the price of admission, or would you have rather waited for video?
    If you are a DC fan absolutely. I don't get too crazy for either DC or Marvel, I just want to see something good or something I like. I was always big into Superman and I read a few spoilers and that was it for me (hopefully that's not spoilers to anyone reading this since it's obvious he's in it).

I think something like this it's too long to wait for video and it's a better time at the movies than the critics will have you believe. It's also not perfect in case you are real picky about stuff.
    Last edited by Freestyle; 11-18-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    You've got to know when to sack em...

Just go see it and form your own opinion. I saw it and thought it was fine. Hate that they used cyborg but it's it a bad movie

^^^This.

I read two critic's articles and they both called it a mess. I saw it for myself and gave it an 8/10. I think Marvel is better overall but DC is not far behind and they have some things that I think are better than Marvel. Plus I appreciate the darkness. Justice League has potential.

Marvel = better movies
    DC = better TV shows

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    ^^^This.

I read two critic's articles and they both called it a mess. I saw it for myself and gave it an 8/10. I think Marvel is better overall but DC is not far behind and they have some things that I think are better than Marvel. Plus I appreciate the darkness. Justice League has potential.

Marvel = better movies
    DC = better TV shows
    Id say DC has better animated movies but their shows are alright

Quote Originally Posted by captainbronco View Post
    Id say DC has better animated movies but their shows are alright
    I like both companies tv shows but I definitely like DCs more.

Also just got back from Justice League and loved it. It wasnít perfect. But it was very very good. I think I liked it more than Wonder Woman by a lot. Definitely a step in the right direction for DC and thatís on top of WE already being a step in the right direction.

Steppenwolf may not have been great as a CGI villain but I liked him a lot more than apocalypse.

I think Marvel tends to still be more fun and lighthearted and family friendly but DC is finally at least involving more humor.

Iím very excited about the future of DC especially with that end credit scene.

And I donít agree that DC needed to spend a decade developing characters for this movie because I liked it just fine without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Arrow's hit or miss, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow are both very solid shows. Arrow was good in season one and two, season three was ok, season four was a train wreck, season five was back to being good again and of course season six is still happening and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    IIRC, Flash debuted within Arrow? Is it important or necessary to watch Arrow before starting Flash in terms of story continuity and understanding what's going on?

IIRC, Flash debuted within Arrow? Is it important or necessary to watch Arrow before starting Flash in terms of story continuity and understanding what's going on?
    Flash did make his debut in arrow. But for the most part the shows stand alone outside the crossovers and even those tend to not require much from the other shows.

And flash debuted in season 2 of arrow which is probably by far the best season of arrow.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone