Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Imagine if he had had the leadership/intangibles/whatever to cement the win and look decent against San Diego heading into the playoffs. He would have had to look decent heading into that game as well, but that D that year would have allowed any average QB to win games. Just a few mediocre games from him in the playoffs and he would have won a SB as the starter. Talk about a falling star. There he is. Mister Meteorite.
    Peyton Manning's fate changed that day, too. If not for the SD game Manning would have likely ended his career as a backup on a SB winning team. Instead he gets to ride off into the sunset like Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Peyton Manning's fate changed that day, too. If not for the SD game Manning would have likely ended his career as a backup on a SB winning team. Instead he gets to ride off into the sunset like Elway.
    I don't think we win the SB without Peyton.
    Call it how you see it.
    But what I saw is him checking into run plays, and rallying the team.
    Those kinda plays go unaccounted for.
    I don't think you'll ever hear peyton man up and tell us either. So maybe we'll never know.
    But I think he was a crucial part of that run.
    Just as important as the D

Quote Originally Posted by DEN4EVER View Post
    Call it how you see it.
    I don't think you'll ever hear peyton man up and tell us either. So maybe we'll never know.
    As much as I felt that we would've won it either way, looking back, I have to agree with you. It was straight up leadership. Remember right b4 he came in, CJ had a terrible fumble. We were in a total funk. His body might've been beaten, but he still could lead one last charge mentally. And he changed everyone's frame of mind with his first snap. That's greatness that can't be measured on any scale.
    Last edited by flosstein; 04-03-2017 at 10:56 AM.

I can appreciate the credit Manning gets for his leadership and intangibles. Certainly a factor.

But lets not forget just how dominant a run the defense had. They won those games and carried the offense. The Broncos offense was as historically bad as much as the defense was historically great. Despite the scores the Broncos offense had less yards, less first downs and hardly moved the ball. Without the defense giving them repeated chances, turnovers and field position those games were lost.

Manning gets the glory and the "win" on his record but that was the defense carrying the team on their backs the entire playoff run.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I can appreciate the credit Manning gets for his leadership and intangibles. Certainly a factor.

But lets not forget just how dominant a run the defense had. They won those games and carried the offense. The Broncos offense was as historically bad as much as the defense was historically great. Despite the scores the Broncos offense had less yards, less first downs and hardly moved the ball. Without the defense giving them repeated chances, turnovers and field position those games were lost.

Manning gets the glory and the "win" on his record but that was the defense carrying the team on their backs the entire playoff run.
    True indeed, but that last game of the reg season was more than the defense. The entire team was scraping the barrel. There was no urgency, no emotion. The 5 offensive turnovers had the defense on the wall. But when Manning came in the game, everyone found another gear and got their feet out of the mud. That's what we're pointing at. Just how Brock couldn't lead us out of a slump in an extremely crucial game. That defense was about as amazing as it gets in 2015. But Peyton was the clear cut leader. Everyone respected him. When many of us (myself included) turned on him because of his play, they had his back and they told him don't worry about it, we got this for u. Brock couldn't get anything near that, because he was weak mentally.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by DEN4EVER View Post
    Call it how you see it.
    I certainly don't want to diminish Manning's importance to the SB run. Indeed, as flosstein said, he was vitally important during that critical SD game. He also played pretty well against the Pats in the AFC title game. I was just sort of musing at how fate can take strange turns. I'm certainly glad everything worked out the way it did. Manning pulled an Elway, and the Broncos were spared the pain of paying Oz a huge contract. Win-win situation.

In all honesty, Though I'm not fond of Oz, he wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad had he stayed with us. That system he runs in HOU was like "square peg - round hole" with Oz. He's not a QB centric offensive coach with an actual resume of coaching QB's to their peak potential like Kubes and his staff. So while it would've cost us, he would've been a far more productive and competent QB with us.

But also keep this in mind too. If he stayed with us it would've meant that he's mentally stronger than we think. To have gotten over what and how things in that SD game transpired, and got back on the horse and rolled with what Kubes was trying to teach him, would've told volumes of his character and commitment to excellence.
    #swapping