Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Christian McCaffrey = (Comparable Player)

On 1043 and many other outlets, people have compared Christian to Marshall Faulk, which I think is a ridiculous comparison. Marshall was much more compact and WAY more explosive.

So, I've been trying to track down a comparison for Christian and I think I've found the perfect one...

Shane Vereen

If you look at their combine numbers, body type, how they've been utilized as players, and even running style. They are almost identical in so many ways.

Another interesting comparison would be Brian Westbrook

Brian is in the same mold as Vereen, but obviously had a much more productive career than Shane has to this point. So, when a team picks up Christian (possibly us) on the upside you get Westbrook, on the downside you get Vereen. Now, the question is... would you spend a 1st round draft pick for Vereen?
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

Andy Janovich.

But, this is your comparison. Those that want Christian don't see him the same way as you do. Of course you wouldn't spend a first on Shane. But, I don't agree that it's simply Christian=Shane just because you say it is.

Comparing players doesn't mean a whole lot. Each is their own entity. Because, even if players are similar, it's the little things that matter.

You can see what players are similar in size or look similar when running, but are you comparing their football IQ? Are you comparing their vision? Patience? Work ethic? Their ability to understand the nuances of how to get open when they're running a route?

You combine all of those smaller details that people don't often compare and if one guys a little bit better at each of those things, they're probably going to be quite a bit better overall.

Christian will have to prove he's better at each of those things at the next level, of course

But, I disagree with your comparison of Shane.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 04-14-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Chuck Foreman
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

He doesn't remind me of anyone but that is the beauty of this thing because he is his own unique character and athlete.
    <a href=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/SjZJ24/media/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/SjZJ24/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg target=_blank>http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse4zwvw5r.jpg</a></a>
    Special thanks to those who have CP'ed me, I'll get ya back

He's ceiling is Brian Westbrook. Who was a great do everything back. In his prime he was a top 5 back and if you played fantasy football a PPR stud.
    He's floor could be NFL Reggie Bush. Bush had his moments but never really replicated his USC days.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Chuck Foreman
    Very good , and accurate Sam.
    I was thinking of an even older old timer Frank Gifford.

Quote Originally Posted by olgrouch View Post
    Very good , and accurate Sam.
    I was thinking of an even older old timer Frank Gifford.
    If Danny Woodhead and Wes Welker had a baby...
    New England Patriots GM

Quote Originally Posted by Greedy24 View Post
    Andy Janovich.
    Speaking of which. I dont recall McCoy having a full back in his style of offense. I wonder where he will fit, if at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Speaking of which. I dont recall McCoy having a full back in his style of offense. I wonder where he will fit, if at all?
    McCoy used a Fullback a fair amount in 2011: Spencer Larsen. Mike McCoy has used a variety of offensive styles. The 2011-12 seasons in Denver demonstrate that. If McCoy plans on using any I Formations, he'll need Janovich. If I Formations are used a fair amount, they may need to have one on the PS, too. Derek Watt was drafted by the Chargers last year, and I believe he was active all season.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    On 1043 and many other outlets, people have compared Christian to Marshall Faulk, which I think is a ridiculous comparison. Marshall was much more compact and WAY more explosive.

So, I've been trying to track down a comparison for Christian and I think I've found the perfect one...

Shane Vereen

If you look at their combine numbers, body type, how they've been utilized as players, and even running style. They are almost identical in so many ways.

Another interesting comparison would be Brian Westbrook

Brian is in the same mold as Vereen, but obviously had a much more productive career than Shane has to this point. So, when a team picks up Christian (possibly us) on the upside you get Westbrook, on the downside you get Vereen. Now, the question is... would you spend a 1st round draft pick for Vereen?
    I think the real question is:

If Christian McCaffrey was not the son of Ex-Broncos WR Ed McCaffrey,
    thus had zero ties to DEN, would you spend a 1st round draft pick for him?

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post

Speaking the truth...

Short answer: Yes

Even if that somehow explained away the interest by some Bronco fans how does it explain the interest by several other teams in the first round, scouts and most mock drafts or positional ratings?

His dad must be one hell of a nice guy for all of them to be biased. How would you explain there is a distinct possibility he never even makes it #20.

McCaffrey has earned the respect because of his play on the field. His skill set and intangibles have earned him the right to be discussed as a legitimate first round prospect. Not his last name!

This lame false argument has picked up momentum but has no basis in reality. McCaffrey is a unique talent and I would be thrilled to have him added to the offense. Because he willl make plays at a position that desperately needs to be able to produce this year.

Even the player comparisons are incredibly positive even when trying to be dismissive. If he plays to his potential he falls somewhere between Westbrook and Bush? So potentially a decade of all purpose yards between 10K and 11K ? Between 71 to 54 TDs?

I'm comfortable with using a 1st re pick for that player.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 04-15-2017 at 06:03 AM.

So, what's the excuse for the other 29 teams that his dad never played for? Because, the majority of them and analysts out there are saying he's a first round guy.

Edit: Sorry, didn't initially see your post, FR Tim. But, I completely agree. This is such a lazy argument. It'd be different if only Broncos' fans were the ones wanting him in the first or claiming he is a first round talent. But, no. It's the majority of people that follow the nfl/college.

So, you guys aren't just in the minority on your feelings about him because you're on a Broncos' board.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 04-15-2017 at 06:20 AM.