Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 164
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    In hindsight, here's why I'm wrong. I latched on to a player of a similar skill set and decided that he would have the exact same career as him, obviously that's incorrect, McCaffrey and all of the players drafted this year will have their own careers, so saying he's Reggie Bush as anything besides skill sets was incorrect on my part. Ironically I normally hate player comparisons because I feel each player is their own, but for whatever reason I locked on here. So I withdraw my arguments saying he'll have the exact same career, cause he won't he'll have his own career, hopefully it's like LeSean McCoy. I apologize to anyone who took offense to my previous posts.

    McCaffrey wouldn't be my pick at 20 (I'd go o-line) but if the Broncos pick him I'll support him, and hope he has a long excellent career no matter where he ends up.
    I can respect that. I'll admit that there is obviously a chance that he doesn't turn out to be even up to Reggie's level or right at his career. I don't think he will, because I see something extra. But, I recognize the chance that it could happen.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,692
    The amount of love and people defending McCaffrey PRE DRAFT is insane. I've never seen anything like it in the 10.5 years I've been on this board. The common denominator, his last name.

    I'm not saying people don't want him for his merit. But the fact that he comes from true bronco blood, that's the cherry on top. People go from hope to have, to Illogically defending the guy. Gameday threads gonna get ugly if we do indeed draft McCaffrey.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    In hindsight, here's why I'm wrong. I latched on to a player of a similar skill set and decided that he would have the exact same career as him, obviously that's incorrect, McCaffrey and all of the players drafted this year will have their own careers, so saying he's Reggie Bush as anything besides skill sets was incorrect on my part. Ironically I normally hate player comparisons because I feel each player is their own, but for whatever reason I locked on here. So I withdraw my arguments saying he'll have the exact same career, cause he won't he'll have his own career, hopefully it's like LeSean McCoy. I apologize to anyone who took offense to my previous posts.

    McCaffrey wouldn't be my pick at 20 (I'd go o-line) but if the Broncos pick him I'll support him, and hope he has a long excellent career no matter where he ends up.
    Yea, I'm not a big fan of player comparisons because two players can be built the same, play the same in college and have a similar skill set. One will turn into a great player, another fizzles out. Neither player had anything physically or in his play style that distinguished him from the other, but there are tons of things that factor into NFL success. Work ethic, talent, desire and drive and most importantly, the situation the player finds himself in.

    It's impossible to say "he plays like this guy, so expect these kinds of results" They may be similar players, but you can't forecast the results just from comparing college careers.

    I guess my big beef with this back and forth has been the "we only want him because of his name" and the fact of the matter is, he's an incredibly hyped player, the name adds to that, but it's not just us that are hyped, it's a lot of NFL teams and fans. I've got a Panthers fan at church that really hopes the Panthers draft him. He doesn't really have much of a clue who his father is because it's not his lineage that is getting him hyped up, he's standing on his own merit, not his name.

    I understand not wanting a RB and preferring someone else, it was mainly the assumption that we only gave a crap about the name that just got me riled up personally...


  4. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    In your opinion... And you have a right to it, but that doesn't make it God's gospel just because you believe it.
    Just curious but would yo, if you were in John Elway's shoes trade our 1st, 2nd and perhaps even another pick to simply nab MCCaffrey at pick 11?

    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Someone asked me to show prove that it was said about Bush, so I provided proof, the post had nothing to do with McCaffrey. If I were "grasping desperately to straws" I would start comparing to various RBs who came out and did nothing, instead I compare him to an 11 year vet who's had a long successful career. The people who feel threatened by McCaffrey being compared to a player with a long NFL career, and a player he idolized growing up (which is why he wore number 5), are people who believe there's never been anyone like him before, and people who believe Denver should go all in on him.

    I've got nothing against McCaffrey, I've said before I think he's a fine prospect, but I don't think Denver should draft him ahead of players that fill big immediate needs. And I certainly don't think Denver should spend a first and second round pick (the cost of moving up to 11) on a player who doesn't fill those other bigger more immediate needs.
    I 100% agree. To not draft with positions we could use more and trade away a 1st and a second for one player is crazy - IMO. Particularly when this class has a bit of a drop-off in talent in a couple of positions which we could or would likely draft in the 1st. On top of that to miss out on our second round pick....is crazy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    In hindsight, here's why I'm wrong. I latched on to a player of a similar skill set and decided that he would have the exact same career as him, obviously that's incorrect, McCaffrey and all of the players drafted this year will have their own careers, so saying he's Reggie Bush as anything besides skill sets was incorrect on my part. Ironically I normally hate player comparisons because I feel each player is their own, but for whatever reason I locked on here. So I withdraw my arguments saying he'll have the exact same career, cause he won't he'll have his own career, hopefully it's like LeSean McCoy. I apologize to anyone who took offense to my previous posts.

    McCaffrey wouldn't be my pick at 20 (I'd go o-line) but if the Broncos pick him I'll support him, and hope he has a long excellent career no matter where he ends up.
    I hate the fact that so many on here slammed you for your opinion despite the fact that you provided far more detail than anyone else did to rebut your comments/ opinions. The only comment I will make and I do think it will make some difference in careers is that McCaffrey does come from a football family and his dad is only one generation removed form playing. Even that being said though there are plenty of NFL players with former NFL fathers who have never come close to their fathers careers. Comparing size, speed, stats, game film etc. is ultimately what the NFL scouts are doing as well.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    The amount of love and people defending McCaffrey PRE DRAFT is insane. I've never seen anything like it in the 10.5 years I've been on this board. The common denominator, his last name.

    I'm not saying people don't want him for his merit. But the fact that he comes from true bronco blood, that's the cherry on top. People go from hope to have, to Illogically defending the guy. Gameday threads gonna get ugly if we do indeed draft McCaffrey.
    Again, the name has nothing to do with it... People are always adamant about the player they want, the last name isn't why people are so excited about this kid. It's the player himself we are excited about.


  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Just curious but would yo, if you were in John Elway's shoes trade our 1st, 2nd and perhaps even another pick to simply nab MCCaffrey at pick 11?
    Yup, without a second thought.


  7. #112
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Again, the name has nothing to do with it... People are always adamant about the player they want, the last name isn't why people are so excited about this kid. It's the player himself we are excited about.
    Im not saying people like him because of his name. I'm saying that his skills plus being from Bronco boodline push some people into the irrational fan boy club. We have never had a thread this long or this many arguments back and forth about a prospect PRE DRAFT. Not even the year we got Von.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    90
    The Kid is going to be Good for what ever Team that Drafts him I can only hope that Team is the Denver Broncos.

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Im not saying people like him because of his name. I'm saying that his skills plus being from Bronco boodline push some people into the irrational fan boy club. We have never had a thread this long or this many arguments back and forth about a prospect PRE DRAFT. Not even the year we got Von.
    I'd say what pushes the arguments is people accusing us of being an "irrational fan boy club" when we all genuinely like the guy and what he brings to the table.

    Lots of people in any thread he comes up in trying to discredit someone's opinion due to his last name supposedly making us homers.


  10. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    D-Town
    Posts
    828
    I really, really like CMac. I'd love for the Broncos to get him... but I think the idea of moving up in the first, or even using #20 seems like a stretch to draft a specialist. Honestly, at this point... who knows?

    A lot of media spinning around CMac could very well be other teams trying to hype him to see if the Broncos will get desperate and give something up to make a move. Everyone knows the Broncos are high on him. The time between the combine and the draft is straight-out disinformation, propaganda, total mind-games. Good teams are "leaking" information non-stop to try and dissuade people away from their picks, while talking up picks to force conference rivals to reach. This time in the NFL is nuts. At least 70% of what we're hearing is probably bogus.

    At this point, I don't really know what to think of any of it.
    Last edited by Joshua2585; 04-17-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    McCoy was also drafted 2nd round 53rd overall.
    Well... That clearly looks like a big mistake now. McCoy is a complete, 3-down RB that was overlooked in 2009. If we re-do that draft, he's a 1st-round pick.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    10,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'd say what pushes the arguments is people accusing us of being an "irrational fan boy club" when we all genuinely like the guy and what he brings to the table.

    Lots of people in any thread he comes up in trying to discredit someone's opinion due to his last name supposedly making us homers.
    Dude it's not mutually exclusive. I've read through the threads. There are plenty who like Christian the player and do not cross into irrationality. But there are some that do. If you can't see that you're being blind the opposite direction that you accuse others of.

    TBH, it is quite natural for people to want it too. It's no different than people who hire for their companies. They like to relate past success to future output. They see themselves as successful so when they get a candidate that is similar or reminds them of themselves they assume they would be successful.

    For bronco fans, seeing kid McCaffrey tear up college would be natural to want him. His dad was a great bronco, so with good genes, a great college resume, kid McCaffrey will too. There's nothing negative for those who think like that. It may not be reality, but it makes sense to come to that conclusion.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    90
    I can see CMAC having an even better career than his father and that is saying something. Go ahead and blast me however when it is said and done you can call me a wizard.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Yup, without a second thought.
    See I wouldn't be upset if we nabbed him at 20 but to trade away a 2nd round for a guy who never really mastered any one skill at the college level is just insane to me.

    Now I do want to ensure that you and others who are of the same opinion of you understand something. I see McCaffrey as a special player but at the same time like with any special player there is a risk reward...for me I see that sweet spot being pick 20 through to the very early 2nd round. Trading away our top two picks for one player - imo makes no sense especially when we have so many other needs. Then there is the risk of injury. After all he did enter into draft season less than 100 percent. So even if we were to draft him we'd still need to keep someone like Raymond as a WR/return guy and keep McCaffrey as either his backup there or visa versa.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Dude it's not mutually exclusive. I've read through the threads. There are plenty who like Christian the player and do not cross into irrationality. But there are some that do. If you can't see that you're being blind the opposite direction that you accuse others of.

    TBH, it is quite natural for people to want it too. It's no different than people who hire for their companies. They like to relate past success to future output. They see themselves as successful so when they get a candidate that is similar or reminds them of themselves they assume they would be successful.

    For bronco fans, seeing kid McCaffrey tear up college would be natural to want him. His dad was a great bronco, so with good genes, a great college resume, kid McCaffrey will too. There's nothing negative for those who think like that. It may not be reality, but it makes sense to come to that conclusion.
    But the thing you're not getting is that there are those that are claiming that the only reason we want him as early as we do is because his name is McCaffrey. Maybe not you. But others definitely have went that far. But, his name could be Christian "Johnson" and I would still be just as enamored with him as I am now. I could easily be wrong about him, but it won't b because of his last name.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •