Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gary Barnidge

Would still go get this guy...
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

It may happen...hopefully he at least comes in for a visit

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...-gary-barnidge
    Defense wins Championships, but Offense helps...

At some point Elways got to pay one of these guys their value right? I mean if we really want to get this offense rolling, then we need big time players and they're not going to come cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    At some point Elways got to pay one of these guys their value right? I mean if we really want to get this offense rolling, then we need big time players and they're not going to come cheap.
    I'm a little confused? Did DT, Sanders, CJ, Leary, and Watson not get paid their value? I can make the case that he over valued them. I also wouldn't consider Barnage a big time player. He had one good year in 2015. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I'm a little confused? Did DT, Sanders, CJ, Leary, and Watson not get paid their value? I can make the case that he over valued them. I also wouldn't consider Barnage a big time player. He had one good year in 2015. That's about it.
    I'd say that's still better than any of our tight ends who have never had a good year. If it makes sense to take a chance on Charles, for a good contract I'd say Barnidge is worth a look. Cutting Green also saves about 3 million and you get a vet player who can immediately help our QB

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I'd say that's still better than any of our tight ends who have never had a good year. If it makes sense to take a chance on Charles, for a good contract I'd say Barnidge is worth a look. Cutting Green also saves about 3 million and you get a vet player who can immediately help our QB
    I'm not disagreeing. I want Denver to get Barnige sign him to a 1 year deal. Virgil Green is most likely going to get cut regardless. He is making too much money to be eventually be the 3rd string TE when Butt gets healthy. Barnige and Derby would make a good 1-2 punch at the position and will give Butt plenty of time to fully recover and to see if he can still play football

I don't think Barnidge is worth bringing in at the expense of having to cut somebody from the current 90 man roster. I will bet - CPs? - that Virgil WILL make the team and be a solid contributor at the TE position. He still might not get a lot of catches/targets but he is a great blocking TE and IMO is paid accordingly for what he is expected to do for the team. Barnidge didn't have even 20 catches until his 7th season, Virgil is in his ... 7th season, who knows maybe it is his time, finally.

I'm guessing that with Barnidge's production in the last 2 seasons, as opposed to the previous 6 seasons where he had little to no production, would make him the immediate Starter on our team. Which in my mind, is quite the indictment of our current group of Tight Ends. Of course, I leave Jake Butt out of the conversation as he is recovering from his 2nd ACL tear and subsequent surgery that may put him on the IR for the upcoming season. As far as Green is concerned, I'm guessing that the Broncos will hold onto him until the last minute in case of injuries, with the thought that it will be difficult to justify the size of his Contract. Additionally, maybe the new Coaching staff can get more out of all the Tight Ends than we've seen recently. For instance, Green was impressive early last season, and then just disappeared requiring the FO to trade a pick to New England for Derby.

Quite the quandry that could get interesting moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I don't think Barnidge is worth bringing in at the expense of having to cut somebody from the current 90 man roster. I will bet - CPs? - that Virgil WILL make the team and be a solid contributor at the TE position. He still might not get a lot of catches/targets but he is a great blocking TE and IMO is paid accordingly for what he is expected to do for the team. Barnidge didn't have even 20 catches until his 7th season, Virgil is in his ... 7th season, who knows maybe it is his time, finally.
    Barnidge was also sitting behind Greg Olsen the first four years. Barnidge upside as a receiving threat and a redzone threat is so much better than Green. Barnidge numbers last year are basically Green career numbers. He is getting paid too much to be a just a blocker. He has had his chance and now it's time to move on. Let's be real, if Butt comes out healthy he will be replacing Virgil anyways. I agree with the one post mentioning that we should Lee him for camp just in case of an injury but release him after that. No need for him at that cost.

How is Barnidge as a blocker? Would he be an inline Y tight end like Butt/Green? Or more of a slot like Derby?
    Damn proud to be a Phi! Brother in the Bond #105 Texas Tau

I'm not disagreeing. I want Denver to get Barnige sign him to a 1 year deal. Virgil Green is most likely going to get cut regardless. He is making too much money to be eventually be the 3rd string TE when Butt gets healthy. Barnige and Derby would make a good 1-2 punch at the position and will give Butt plenty of time to fully recover and to see if he can still play football
    I see. Agreed with the Barnidge and Derby starting and giving Butt time to learn the system. Regardless though I certainly hope the other TEs learn to block better, because no TE we have is as good of a blocker as Green is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    How is Barnidge as a blocker? Would he be an inline Y tight end like Butt/Green? Or more of a slot like Derby?
    Reading some of the Browns fans opinion and general consensus he is not a good blocker

Barnidge was also sitting behind Greg Olsen the first four years. Barnidge upside as a receiving threat and a redzone threat is so much better than Green. Barnidge numbers last year are basically Green career numbers. He is getting paid too much to be a just a blocker. He has had his chance and now it's time to move on. Let's be real, if Butt comes out healthy he will be replacing Virgil anyways. I agree with the one post mentioning that we should Lee him for camp just in case of an injury but release him after that. No need for him at that cost.
    Ok, forget CPs, how about a beer on that Green stays on the team?

With or without a Barnidge!

Virgil's not going anywhere unless he's hurt. We still need a run game.

I think it would be a good thing to have Barnidge on the team for training camp at least. Who knows how he'd do in this offense (probably pretty well since it's a mccoy offense) or what he has left in the tank. It does take up a roster spot though that Jake Butt will be occupying when he's healthy. I like the idea, if it's cheap and short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    Virgil's not going anywhere unless he's hurt. We still need a run game.

I think it would be a good thing to have Barnidge on the team for training camp at least. Who knows how he'd do in this offense (probably pretty well since it's a mccoy offense) or what he has left in the tank. It does take up a roster spot though that Jake Butt will be occupying when he's healthy. I like the idea, if it's cheap and short term.
    I'm so confused. So if Barnidge came in, he'd essentially compete with Derby since Barnidge and Derby are move/slot ends that don't line up as Y tight ends like Butt does. So I don't see how signing Barnidge would give Butt more time.
    Last edited by Bterres105; 05-23-2017 at 08:05 PM.