Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Henderson was drafted that high because of his physical traits, especially his burst and speed, and his ability to break tackles. I see him as a RB playing WR. His route running was very simple and limited in college, he basically ran two routes: either go deep or stop and turn back to the QB.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...son?id=2558003

He likes to catch the ball with his body instead of using his hands and there were several reports about Henderson having disappointing practices, struggling with route running and drops [before the injury].

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...humb-107776663

He was another pick based on raw potential over fundamentals. As you can see, the front officed decided to change that approach in this year's draft and focused on more polished players with solid fundamentals like Chubb, Jewell and Hamilton. I would also add Yiadom, who comes from the Boston College program that is known for good coaching in the secondary.
    Thank you for the thoughtful response.
    I understand your position, but honestly,
    your response raises two things:

1.) What caused Henderson to start dropping balls in the NFL?
    (Didn't Elway see this guy's poor hands in college? Hands are important for a WR. lol )

2.) Whoever drafted Henderson presumably also drafted Butt and Walker,
    therefore, I wonder if there was an outside influence to draft Butt and Walker.

Side note, I miss the game of football.

It' is shocking that Henderson has so far been a ghost. Absolutely nothing said about him. He had the potential coming out. I had a good grade on him he caught everything in college and his after the catch ability is what made him get drafted in the 3rd but maybe that injury did a lot to him or it's still lingering. Cause he is a good WR

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    Thank you for the thoughtful response.
    I understand your position, but honestly,
    your response raises two things:

1.) What caused Henderson to start dropping balls in the NFL?
    (Didn't Elway see this guy's poor hands in college? Hands are important for a WR. lol )

2.) Whoever drafted Henderson presumably also drafted Butt and Walker,
    therefore, I wonder if there was an outside influence to draft Butt and Walker.

Side note, I miss the game of football.
    I've heard that a lot of the reason for drops early on in a WR's career is because of how much information they're trying to process, whether it be route running, timing, and shaking off a defender. There's so much going on that the basic fundamentals tend to fall off, such as catching the ball. This sounds like the case for Henderson, along with his thumb injury that couldn't have helped his ability any better.

Butt and Walker reflect a future payoff that the FO had in mind when drafting them. Butt had injury problems, and Walker was played out of position to fill a hole at OLB and had to lose a lot of weight, which changes the way you play and live. This year Butt is no longer injured, and will be healthy, and Walker has bulked up to his original weight and will be playing his intended position. Both have been reported to be playing very well in OTAs.

When comparing them to Henderson, it's important to realize that not much competition has been drafted to compete against them. This leads me to think that the FO feels they have starters with them, or at the very least reliable depth. They obviously do not feel this way about Henderson and McKenzie, so as Rod said previously, a change in draft philosophy occurred after seeing how pitiful the 2017 draft turned out.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Waiting patiently for the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I've heard that a lot of the reason for drops early on in a WR's career is because of how much information they're trying to process, whether it be route running, timing, and shaking off a defender. There's so much going on that the basic fundamentals tend to fall off, such as catching the ball. This sounds like the case for Henderson, along with his thumb injury that couldn't have helped his ability any better.

Butt and Walker reflect a future payoff that the FO had in mind when drafting them. Butt had injury problems, and Walker was played out of position to fill a hole at OLB and had to lose a lot of weight, which changes the way you play and live. This year Butt is no longer injured, and will be healthy, and Walker has bulked up to his original weight and will be playing his intended position. Both have been reported to be playing very well in OTAs.

When comparing them to Henderson, it's important to realize that not much competition has been drafted to compete against them. This leads me to think that the FO feels they have starters with them, or at the very least reliable depth. They obviously do not feel this way about Henderson and McKenzie, so as Rod said previously, a change in draft philosophy occurred after seeing how pitiful the 2017 draft turned out.
    Pitiful or just unknown? We have really no idea about the majority of players drafted last year, everybody besides Bolles and McKenzie were either on IR or on the bench. Kelly, Butt, Walker, De'Angelo Henderson, and possibly even Carlos Henderson could still end up decent players, if that's the case it could be a really good draft, we really have no idea.....

I think going into the last week of the season last year, all those players had like 5 combined total plays for the entire season.....

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Pitiful or just unknown? We have really no idea about the majority of players drafted last year, everybody besides Bolles and McKenzie were either on IR or on the bench. Kelly, Butt, Walker, De'Angelo Henderson, and possibly even Carlos Henderson could still end up decent players, if that's the case it could be a really good draft, we really have no idea.....

I think going into the last week of the season last year, all those players had like 5 combined total plays for the entire season.....
    How else would you describe it? You don't draft a class with the expectation only one player contributing and developing and less than half getting playing time.

How else would you describe it? You don't draft a class with the expectation only one player contributing and developing and less than half getting playing time.
    Judging any draft pick or class after 1 season is foolish. Judging any pick or class after 2 seasons is still pretty narrow minded. After 3 seasons it's fair to judge away and see what you have from those players and that group. And after 4 years it's pretty easy to write things in ink as definite.

Remember after 2008 Denver looked like they had hit home runs with Clady in the first, Royal in the second (looked phenomenal), and late round picks Spencer Larsen and Peyton Hillis.

Turns out only Clady was solid. Royal never came close to repeating his rookie reception and yardage numbers. Larsen went from being a decent LB and starting both ways to being not all that good, and Hillis turned out to be a complete head case.

After their rookie seasons it's fair to say the 2017 class has been disappointing thus far, but they're all still on the roster and there could be several who take big steps forward in 2018. I think 4 should be solid contributors this year (Bolles, Walker, Butt and D.Henderson) and I wouldn't be shocked to see decent things from C.Henderson and Kelly as well. Langley and McKenzie are wild cards, but there have been plenty of players who struggle early only to learn and get better. Will all of them make it? The odds are no, but I think it's pretty early to write them off already.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Judging any draft pick or class after 1 season is foolish. Judging any pick or class after 2 seasons is still pretty narrow minded. After 3 seasons it's fair to judge away and see what you have from those players and that group. And after 4 years it's pretty easy to write things in ink as definite.

Remember after 2008 Denver looked like they had hit home runs with Clady in the first, Royal in the second (looked phenomenal), and late round picks Spencer Larsen and Peyton Hillis.

Turns out only Clady was solid. Royal never came close to repeating his rookie reception and yardage numbers. Larsen went from being a decent LB and starting both ways to being not all that good, and Hillis turned out to be a complete head case.

After their rookie seasons it's fair to say the 2017 class has been disappointing thus far, but they're all still on the roster and there could be several who take big steps forward in 2018. I think 4 should be solid contributors this year (Bolles, Walker, Butt and D.Henderson) and I wouldn't be shocked to see decent things from C.Henderson and Kelly as well. Langley and McKenzie are wild cards, but there have been plenty of players who struggle early only to learn and get better. Will all of them make it? The odds are no, but I think it's pretty early to write them off already.
    Then I guess I'm foolish, Butler.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Obviously they all have potential. I should clarify in that 2017's draft had a pitiful year where only the 1st round pick had any significant contributions. I believe I'm allowed to express that disappointment without unfair dissent, and being labeled as narrow minded or foolish. I don't think any of them are busts - I have high expectations for Jake Butt and Walker now that their situations have changed. I don't of McKenzie and Carlos Henderson. That's my opinion, take it or leave it.

And if that is too much, then I'll keep quiet about my opinions and not express them on this board.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 06-11-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I am very excited to see the influx of young talent this year and I am hoping to see both the 17 and 18 draft class make contributions. Very excited about Butt, Walker. Henderson and Kelly and I can't wait to see Chubb with Miller. I am also excited about the prospects of Freeman, Jewell and Sutton. I am very excited going into this year.
    WHAT THE CATERPILLAR CALLS THE END, THE MASTER CALLS A BUTTERFLY.

--RICHARD BACH

You really think we're going to pay for both Sanders and DT's contract next year? The two of them together add up for 25 million. You really don't think they were drafted to replace those two contracts? I do.
    Like I said, we drafted them because we only have two receivers and no production, and yes it adds on that they are both getting older, but neither receiver is definitively gone, and Im willing to bet on it, just PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    Like I said, we drafted them because we only have two receivers and no production, and yes it adds on that they are both getting older, but neither receiver is definitively gone, and I’m willing to bet on it, just PM me.
    Fair enough. Opinions can vary. I'll PM you
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Sutton AND Hamilton are apparently lighting up Roby at practice.

This says either
    1) Sutton and Hamilton are REALLY good and will make a big impact for us this year
    2) We should be VERY concerned about the #2 CB position

Henderson may be kept for depth and that he is only in his 2nd year, but it seems he's on the way out as these rookies are playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Sutton AND Hamilton are apparently lighting up Roby at practice.

This says either
    1) Sutton and Hamilton are REALLY good and will make a big impact for us this year
    2) We should be VERY concerned about the #2 CB position

Henderson may be kept for depth and that he is only in his 2nd year, but it seems he's on the way out as these rookies are playing well.
    I wouldnt be surprised if its both.