Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I doubt that Butt will be ready but I do expect Siemian to be better and I haven't seen anything from any other QB on our roster that would make them look like the better choice for the starter spot.
    Hopefully Butt can be in there by late September or early October. I think he can probably come in pretty quick and be the second TE. I am excited to see what the run game looks like with all the new pieces. Trevor should have all the tools to have a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    With an entirely new offense Siemian doesn't have a significant head start. I do think the new offense suits his strengths well.
    I think he still does because of his playing time last year. I'm still not sure how the new O is going to shake out. Drafting speed guys at WR and RB and then signing Jamaal Charles makes me think it is going to have more of that 'short pass becomes part of the run game' feel to it though.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

After watching Chad Kelly play against Alabama and Mississippi State in his 2015 year...I'm convinced in a season he will be heads and shoulders above Lynch and Siemian. One of the two will serve as a backup to him.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I think it will be a fun competition to watch over the next couple seasons. But it is a bit premature to give anyone the advantage. We don't even know what the offense is going to look like yet.

Last year Seimian was the square peg that fit Kubiak's offense. Is he still that "best fit" in McCoy's? Certainly seems like the pre-season starter but that could quickly change after a few practices. He surprised and impressed me with his play last year. But his overall play was mediocre at best. He had his moments but he also was unimpressive at times. That seems to be overlooked by many of his biggest fans. He will improve and should play confidently, but will that be enough? He was bottom third among starting QBs in every category. Curious what is his best attribute? Trying to decide what skill separates him from the rest? Anything?

All the enthusiastic announcements of Kelly being the best thing since sliced bread may or may not be true, can we let the young man get healthy and see if he has matured or can handle being a professional? Great pick by Elway. The type of high risk, high reward pick that could change the franchise depending on how Kelly plays over the next couple years. Starter, backup or tragic story of opportunity wasted?

IMO Lynch is being overlooked. I may be in the minority but IMO he will win the starters role. And very likely keep it. All those impressed by Kelly highlight reels should reacquant themselves with some of Lynch's. For those touting Seimian's insurmountable experience don't dismiss the growth of a player from his rookie season to now. He has work to do to improve. Jury is still out on whether he is doing it and prove himself.

I like the potential of all three. Going to be interesting to see who wins the QB competition. Maybe more importantly- which fills the vision that McCoy has for the offense and the QB leading it.That alone will give one of these guys the advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I think it will be a fun competition to watch over the next couple seasons. But it is a bit premature to give anyone the advantage. We don't even know what the offense is going to look like yet.

Last year Seimian was the square peg that fit Kubiak's offense. Is he still that "best fit" in McCoy's? Certainly seems like the pre-season starter but that could quickly change after a few practices. He surprised and impressed me with his play last year. But his overall play was mediocre at best. He had his moments but he also was unimpressive at times. That seems to be overlooked by many of his biggest fans. He will improve and should play confidently, but will that be enough? He was bottom third among starting QBs in every category. Curious what is his best attribute? Trying to decide what skill separates him from the rest? Anything?

All the enthusiastic announcements of Kelly being the best thing since sliced bread may or may not be true, can we let the young man get healthy and see if he has matured or can handle being a professional? Great pick by Elway. The type of high risk, high reward pick that could change the franchise depending on how Kelly plays over the next couple years. Starter, backup or tragic story of opportunity wasted?

IMO Lynch is being overlooked. I may be in the minority but IMO he will win the starters role. And very likely keep it. All those impressed by Kelly highlight reels should reacquant themselves with some of Lynch's. For those touting Seimian's insurmountable experience don't dismiss the growth of a player from his rookie season to now. He has work to do to improve. Jury is still out on whether he is doing it and prove himself.

I like the potential of all three. Going to be interesting to see who wins the QB competition. Maybe more importantly- which fills the vision that McCoy has for the offense and the QB leading it.That alone will give one of these guys the advantage.
    I would say that Siemian's cool demeanor and football IQ separate him from the others. Kubiak seemed very impressed with his ability to process information. As far as his "mediocre" play, I would attribute much of that to his poor surrounding cast. Besides DT and Sanders, what else did he really have? I certainly expect much more from him this year with another year of experience and more offense talent.

As far as Lynch being overlooked, I agree. If he can adjust to the speed and complexity of the NFL game, I see no reason why he can't be a monster. His physical talent is easily top 5 in the NFL. Kelly is the intriguing wildcard. He has moxie, a gunslinger mentality. If he wises up a little there's no telling what he could do.

But his overall play was mediocre at best. He had his moments but he also was unimpressive at times. That seems to be overlooked by many of his biggest fans..
    I think it is unfair to call Siemian's efforts last year for "mediocre at best". He did some impressive stuff in terms of the mental game, but it is strange how the narratives go. Cutler, Tebow and Osweiler - our three previous inexperienced QB's starting all had higher highs than Siemian, but all were also far behind on the mental game.

Our QB room have the skills to deliver, but I must admit to an uneasy optimism. I was thoroughly impressed with Siemian and his mental game, but Peyton left a pretty massive yard stick. TS has to succeed with his head, whereas both Cuddles and the bible bully had special skills that could not be ignored by the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    I think it is unfair to call Siemian's efforts last year for "mediocre at best". He did some impressive stuff in terms of the mental game, but it is strange how the narratives go. Cutler, Tebow and Osweiler - our three previous inexperienced QB's starting all had higher highs than Siemian, but all were also far behind on the mental game.

Our QB room have the skills to deliver, but I must admit to an uneasy optimism. I was thoroughly impressed with Siemian and his mental game, but Peyton left a pretty massive yard stick. TS has to succeed with his head, whereas both Cuddles and the bible bully had special skills that could not be ignored by the opposition.
    It certainly is strange how the narrative goes.

The surrounding cast , coaching and offensive system was essentially the same the past two years. All four of the QBs that played had similar issues and mediocre production. Statistically speaking Osweiler had the most success. Yet the narrative is he is a bust and left Denver in controversy and Seimian is considered the franchise QB. Strange indeed.

Things have changed with the new coaches and system. I am optimistic that the new direction of the system and hopefully some creative playcalling fixes many of the offensive flaws of the past couple years. As I stated, which QB is the best fit will be an interesting problem to solve.

I also find it interesting that two of the prospects have had the most success in fast paced shotgun and motion offenses. While Seimian had his most success in a constrained low risk style of offense with Kubiak. In a sense, decision making a minor priority over playmaking. Even the greatest "decision making " QB in Manning struggled in the Kubiak offense.

Which style will McCoy and Musgrave envision and install?

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I think he still does because of his playing time last year. I'm still not sure how the new O is going to shake out. Drafting speed guys at WR and RB and then signing Jamaal Charles makes me think it is going to have more of that 'short pass becomes part of the run game' feel to it though.
    I think he means that there is a difference in how much of a head start he has. Because, he previously had an entire year with the offense ahead of any of the other qb's. Now he's learning it at the same time. Doesn't mean he won't learn it faster still. Just that he doesn't have an entire year's worth of a head start this time.

I always got the impression that Lynch was not Kubiak's pick and he was not who he wanted as his backup QB. He wanted Siemian to start before the draft last year. I think this year we will see who is the best fit for this offense and it may still be Trevor. Lynch and Kelley look way more talented than years worth of backup QB's we have had. I guess I really believe the best man will win this job without preconceived bias either way.

It certainly is strange how the narrative goes.

The surrounding cast , coaching and offensive system was essentially the same the past two years. All four of the QBs that played had similar issues and mediocre production. Statistically speaking Osweiler had the most success. Yet the narrative is he is a bust and left Denver in controversy and Seimian is considered the franchise QB. Strange indeed.

Things have changed with the new coaches and system. I am optimistic that the new direction of the system and hopefully some creative playcalling fixes many of the offensive flaws of the past couple years. As I stated, which QB is the best fit will be an interesting problem to solve.

I also find it interesting that two of the prospects have had the most success in fast paced shotgun and motion offenses. While Seimian had his most success in a constrained low risk style of offense with Kubiak. In a sense, decision making a minor priority over playmaking. Even the greatest "decision making " QB in Manning struggled in the Kubiak offense.

Which style will McCoy and Musgrave envision and install?
    Oz was in his 4th year, Siemian was in his second. I would have expected Oz to be quite a bit better the Siemian but that was not the case. Let's not forget the shoulder injury suffered early in the season.
    Also, having only played one year in the NFL, Siemian has had no other options but Kubiaks offense, so it's not that he's had his most success, it's been his only success and only offense. But when they did drop him back and let him
    Sling it around he actually looked pretty good.

Manning struggled, but really? He started struggling the year prior in his own offense. I don't think it mattered what offense was installed that year, Peyton was going to have a hard time regardless, he was like 50% of what he use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

My gut says TS was going to go off in the TB game before getting hurt. If you look at his body of work prior to the injury it was very impressive. Comeback victory vs a Panthers team playing with a revenge mentality. Pretty average vs Colts, but think the play calling was weak causing our WRs to even speak up. Then they open it up and he torches Cinn. Got hurt after a fast start vs TB.

We can't just dismiss the shoulder, and I think what he was able to do with that injury was pretty impressive. Statistically speaking 1st SD game, 2nd KC game, and NE were all poor for various reasons. Many point to OL problems, true. Also point to a lack of running game, true. But, our inside playmakers were also very poor and led to McCoy asking for more speed there. We got not one, but two slot type guys that can do something with the bakll in their hand. This may also have been a help to TS. So I completely disagree that his play was mediocre. Some play calling, OL, Running game, and lack of solid 3rd and 4th options led to a few bad games...and however the shoulder affected him.

Whoever wins the QB competition this year will have a much easier go than TS had last year.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    My gut says TS was going to go off in the TB game before getting hurt. If you look at his body of work prior to the injury it was very impressive. Comeback victory vs a Panthers team playing with a revenge mentality. Pretty average vs Colts, but think the play calling was weak causing our WRs to even speak up. Then they open it up and he torches Cinn. Got hurt after a fast start vs TB.

We can't just dismiss the shoulder, and I think what he was able to do with that injury was pretty impressive. Statistically speaking 1st SD game, 2nd KC game, and NE were all poor for various reasons. Many point to OL problems, true. Also point to a lack of running game, true. But, our inside playmakers were also very poor and led to McCoy asking for more speed there. We got not one, but two slot type guys that can do something with the bakll in their hand. This may also have been a help to TS. So I completely disagree that his play was mediocre. Some play calling, OL, Running game, and lack of solid 3rd and 4th options led to a few bad games...and however the shoulder affected him.

Whoever wins the QB competition this year will have a much easier go than TS had last year.
    There is a lot to look back on with Simian that he did well. Though he would take shots down field and at times could thread a rope with some passes, he also needs to work on his footwork, pocket awareness and, on 3rd down, throw it to the sticks! For me he's still a mixed bag and one I hope will have the moment where it just clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    There is a lot to look back on with Simian that he did well. Though he would take shots down field and at times could thread a rope with some passes, he also needs to work on his footwork, pocket awareness and, on 3rd down, throw it to the sticks! For me he's still a mixed bag and one I hope will have the moment where it just clicks.
    By no means is he a finished product, but I like his feet and the way the ball comes out. So if he can improve the timing and depths of his drops, get better on his internal clock, we could have something nice. He may never do that, in which case he will fall back to being a very good back up, just think there is more here...
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    After watching Chad Kelly play against Alabama and Mississippi State in his 2015 year...I'm convinced in a season he will be heads and shoulders above Lynch and Siemian. One of the two will serve as a backup to him.
    Rumor has it that before the Boogey-Man goes to bed at night, he checks under the bed for Chad Kelly....
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

One thing that I noticed about Siemian is that he checked down to his short release routes too often when he shouldn't have. I just read that his own defense in college called him "Check Down Trevor". That might be a problem that is unfixable.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury