Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The O-Line

The O-Line

It seems we now have changed 60% of our line with adding Bolles, Leary and Watson.

We are now going to be nasty and no push overs. Bringing the aggression rather than trying to minimize it.

It got me thinking with a bulked up Ty plus Stephenson, Schofield, McGovern (if they all stick), this gives us some really good experienced depth that very few teams have. Besides McGovern, all these guys have started quite a bit and know what it takes and more importantly what it doesn't take. Hopefully this new attitude and mindset will rub off on all of them, so if (knock on wood) we do face injuries we will have experienced replacements that could factor huge for us.

Also our backups are all pretty versatile:

Ty - Swing tackle and guard
    Schofield - Swing tackle and guard
    Stephenson - Swing Tackle
    McGovern - Guard/Center
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    It seems we now have changed 60% of our line with adding Bolles, Leary and Watson.

We are now going to be nasty and no push overs. Bringing the aggression rather than trying to minimize it.

It got me thinking with a bulked up Ty plus Stephenson, Schofield, McGovern (if they all stick), this gives us some really good experienced depth that very few teams have. Besides McGovern, all these guys have started quite a bit and know what it takes and more importantly what it doesn't take. Hopefully this new attitude and mindset will rub off on all of them, so if (knock on wood) we do face injuries we will have experienced replacements that could factor huge for us.

Also our backups are all pretty versatile:

Ty - Swing tackle and guard
    Schofield - Swing tackle and guard
    Stephenson - Swing Tackle
    McGovern - Guard/Center

I honestly have a lot of excitement for this young team moving forward. I feel like Elway has the right coaches and more than enough leaders to keep pushing it to be a continual contender. I am still not a fan of the Bolles pick, but everything else was solid. I feel like our FA pickups were solid. And I think the staff is solid. This will be fun. Our division will still be super competitive, and have to brace ourselves for a lot of learning curves.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMRED View Post
    I honestly have a lot of excitement for this young team moving forward. I feel like Elway has the right coaches and more than enough leaders to keep pushing it to be a continual contender. I am still not a fan of the Bolles pick, but everything else was solid. I feel like our FA pickups were solid. And I think the staff is solid. This will be fun. Our division will still be super competitive, and have to brace ourselves for a lot of learning curves.
    I can understand the uneasy feeling about the Bolles pick. Pre draft I was very vocal that I didn't want O-line taken at all 1st round. But after watching every video and reading every article, I'm pretty sold on him. I didn't think in any way an O-lineman could come in and make a dramatic shift in attitude to our team. I really believe he will along with Leary, Watson and the rest of our draft picks. Bolles to me just seems like one of those old school nasty Steeler lineman that is going to make are a whole team play with an edge.

Maybe Samp if your out there you could educate us on who in history was that nasty all pro O-lineman that Bolles could end up being for us?
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

I can understand the uneasy feeling about the Bolles pick. Pre draft I was very vocal that I didn't want O-line taken at all 1st round. But after watching every video and reading every article, I'm pretty sold on him. I didn't think in any way an O-lineman could come in and make a dramatic shift in attitude to our team. I really believe he will along with Leary, Watson and the rest of our draft picks. Bolles to me just seems like one of those old school nasty Steeler lineman that is going to make are a whole team play with an edge.

Maybe Samp if your out there you could educate us on who in history was that nasty all pro O-lineman that Bolles could end up being for us?
    Conrad Dobler.

If MHR's unconfirmed UDFA list is accurate, Denver now has the fifteen O-Linemen they need for TC.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Conrad Dobler.

If MHR's unconfirmed UDFA list is accurate, Denver now has the fifteen O-Linemen they need for TC.
    Oooooh...now that's Dirty! Haha

I think Schofield will probably end up starting at one of the guard positions. If the trends in improving he has shown continues, he is definitely among the best 5 lineman on the team. Watson will start somewhere due to his contract, at least at the start of the year. I see the like looking like this:

Bolles-Leary-Paradis-Schofield-Watson

It will be interesting to see what happens with Paradis though, if he isn't ready to go it could look very different.
    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Conrad Dobler.

I would love to see Mack break down and cry on the field, I have my doubts though lol

Quote Originally Posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    I think Schofield will probably end up starting at one of the guard positions. If the trends in improving he has shown continues, he is definitely among the best 5 lineman on the team. Watson will start somewhere due to his contract, at least at the start of the year. I see the like looking like this:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Paradis though, if he isn't ready to go it could look very different.
    I am high on Schofield too, he definetely has been trending upward and think he is best suited as a guard. Him, Max and hopefully McGovern should make for a good competition
    Last edited by MarshallMoss; 04-30-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Outside guys are Bolles, Watson, Sambrailo, Stephenson and Schofield who can go inside as well.

Inside guys are Leary and Turner with Garcia and McGovern who can go G/C, and Paradis at C.

Extra inside guys are Day and Ferentz. An extra outside guy is Justin Murray plus a couple of UDFAs.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I would love to see Mack break down and cry on the field, I have my doubts though lol
    That would be priceless. At the very least, I want Mack rolling out of bed in the morning when they play us saying " Damn, I really don't feel like playing today"

I am high on Schofield too, he definetely has been trending upward and think he is best suited as a guard. Him, Max and hopefully McGovern should make for a good competition
    McGovern is a guy I really want to see get some time. He apparently has that same nasty about him that we searched for this odfseason. He could be a candidate to fill Paradis spot if he isn't ready to go. I am also high on Garcia in our new system, gonna be exciting to see how it plays out.

UDFA:

Erik Austell OT 6'3" 301 Charleston Southern
    Cameron Hunt OT 6'4" 295 Oregon

probably won't make the cut but you never know, sometimes gems can be found outside the draft (Rod Smith, Chris Harris, Jr., etc.).
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

Bolles - Leary - Paradis - Garcia - Watson

Backups: Sambrailo - McGovern - Stephenson - Schofield

I think these are the 9 o-linemen that will make the final roster. Ferentz is probably too light for a coaching staff that wants a more imposing OL. McGovern and Garcia will probably get snaps at center to fill in for Paradis if needed.

Sambrailo may be on the bubble because he is not versatile. He seems to be exclusively a LT. He does not have the power to move inside to guard and he really struggles at RT where he's never been comfortable doing the same actions but completely in reverse.

I also don't think Schofield is a lock to make the final roster. It will depend on McGovern's development. Schofield is too passive and lacks power for a new staff that wants a mean streak. Besides, he's exclusively a guard and not a good one. He can't play any OT position if you have any plans to keep the QB alive.

Garcia is awful as well and his lack of awareness put Okung in several bad spots last season, but it seems that he will get another shot in this "power" scheme.

I would have welcomed a quality RG in this draft, but we can't have everything. If Stephenson improves and wins the RT job, maybe Vance Joseph will plug Menelik Watson at RG.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Bolles - Leary - Paradis - Garcia - Watson

Backups: Sambrailo - McGovern - Stephenson - Schofield

I think these are the 9 o-linemen that will make the final roster. Ferentz is probably too light for a coaching staff that wants a more imposing OL. McGovern and Garcia will probably get snaps at center to fill in for Paradis if needed.

Sambrailo may be on the bubble because he is not versatile. He seems to be exclusively a LT. He does not have the power to move inside to guard and he really struggles at RT where he's never been comfortable doing the same actions but completely in reverse.

I also don't think Schofield is a lock to make the final roster. It will depend on McGovern's development. Schofield is too passive and lacks power for a new staff that wants a mean streak. Besides, he's exclusively a guard and not a good one. He can't play any OT position if you have any plans to keep the QB alive.

Garcia is awful as well and his lack of awareness put Okung in several bad spots last season, but it seems that he will get another shot in this "power" scheme.

I would have welcomed a quality RG in this draft, but we can't have everything. If Stephenson improves and wins the RT job, maybe Vance Joseph will plug Menelik Watson at RG.
    You are wrong about Schofield. He played LT last season in limited reps and did ok. If he doesn't get a starting spot, He will be the best backup.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

That's what I was thinking. I thought Schofield looked pretty good at Right Guard.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~