View Poll Results: who had the best draft in the AFC west?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Broncos

11 68.75%
  • Chargers

3 18.75%
  • Chiefs

1 6.25%
  • Raiders

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

who had the best draft in the AFC west?

okay guys, thread title says it all. who do you think did the best?

my rankings?

1. Chargers B+

2. Raiders B-

3. Broncos C+

4. Chiefs C

some thoughts on it....... i really didn't like all the movement the chiefs were doing and they traded up for a developmental QB like the broncos did last year, only an even worse move IMO. that said they still had an okay draft.

i see the raiders and the broncos as having a very close draft, i give the raiders the slight edge due to the bolles pick which i didn't care for personally but elway put them in yet another position where they had to get a LT in a draft class devoid of day 1 starting quality LT's.

the rest of their draft wasn't bad, i like the jbooty pick in the 5th. the raiders draft was kind of boom or bust, theirs is the hardest to judge but all in all it wasn't bad.

most of you know my opinion on the chargers draft by now i am pretty happy with it to say the least. the last two seasons i think telesco has been one of the very best in the league with his draft picks, picking in the top 10 no doubt contributes to that.

but man oh man, it seemed like everything went tom's way. literally the only way i can think he could have had a better draft is if jamal adams fell one more spot to them and he drafted him rather than williams and their 4th round pick is a little questionable, that's it.

the chargers got what was considered by most as the best OL player in the draft in the second round, they got the second best guard in the draft in the third who was projected as a second round pick.

they got a player in the 5th round that was projected as a second or early third round pick, simply amazing. tom telesco has really won me over lately, he's doing everything in his power to make the chargers better, now it's their job to capitalize on it.

i will post some links to some grades around the web for your easy reference.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...r-all-32-teams
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/in...s-all-32-teams
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/pr...short-with-ds/
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...-all-32-teams/
    Last edited by baphamet; 04-30-2017 at 04:46 PM.

I'm all in....Chargers fan FOR LIFE!.......worse than getting the electric chair!

Chargers: B+
    If they win the division and go deep in the playoffs or go 6-10, I won't be surprised either way. They have the potential to be a top 5 offense and defense. A healthy Keenan Allen and the potential of Mike Williams with Rivers in the first 56 minutes of the game will give me nightmares. Rayshawn Jenkins will cause some problems. I'm not looking forward to both our home games against them for years to come.

Broncos: B
    I'm Butt hurt. Nuff said. I also like DeMarcus Walker. Until proven otherwise (no Wade) any defender in Denver will get the benefit of the doubt. Also, Denver is in the "win now" mode, so drafting a 25 year old OL in Bolles isn't that bad. Could Chad Kelly fight for an opening day start? He's been compared by a few to Jay Cutler.

Raiders: C-
    They get a B- for draft with a 1 point deduction for announcing Rounds 4-7 from friggin' Las Vegas. I like how they addressed the hell out of the secondary, but they may have passed up on better players in the process. If Conley is not cleared of his situation, this gets an F+, Keep your eye on Elijah Hood. Although he's a true non-Al Davis type pick (slow as molasses) Beast Mode will teach this guy how to pound the opposition over and over and over and over.... Great combo with Richard/Washington

Chiefs - C-
    This is the perfect example of how evaluating a draft 3 days after instead off 3 years later is a coin flip. Mahomes could be the real deal, but I doubt it. Kareem Hunt might be a problem. He's going to have to be if Mahomes is average, which I think he will be early on in his career.

Denver did great with getting their choice of lineman.....I was hoping for Foster but am actually pretty excited to get Bolles. Butt and Kelly are the wild cards that top off a draft for needs.

I thought KC was foolish and did nothing to help them in the near future.

Oakland did great by adding quality and depth to a position of need. If the Conley issue is resolved he was a great value pick. Overall quite risky for a team on the verge.....Young dbs might get eaten up in this division.

LA hit the jackpot of need and draft fortune by nabbing 2 OL and Williams will add to an already potent offense. The pick should have been Watson, but they got a guy who fits.

Overall Denver wins the afcw draft trophy for the 27th straight year

It's hilarious how a team picking in the top 7 of every round celebrates its draft class as the best in the division. Duh. That's supposed to be expected, right? It's your duty to come out with something better since you have the best players available round after round. The Homeless Chargers are the only team with a losing record in this division. Two losing seasons in-a-row, by the way. They had a top-3 pick in last year's draft, get Joey Bosa and Hunter Henry and still only win 5 games. They are the only team that stinks in this division.

The Homeless Chargers were picking in the top 7, while all the other teams in the division were picking in the 20's with a winning record. So, this team that has been living in the basement of the AFC West for 2 seasons better take advantage of the draft process to see if they can stop being so bad. As if being mercifully brought in by the Los Angeles Rams as a little tenant wasn't bad enough. Congrats, Chargers. Let's see if this team can put together a winning season and a decent playoff run before Rivers' arm falls off for good.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    It's hilarious how a team picking in the top 7 of every round celebrates its draft class as the best in the division. Duh. That's supposed to be expected, right? It's your duty to come out with something better since you have the best players available round after round. The Homeless Chargers are the only team with a losing record in this division. Two losing seasons in-a-row, by the way. They had a top-3 pick in last year's draft, get Joey Bosa and Hunter Henry and still only win 5 games. They are the only team that stinks in this division.

The Homeless Chargers were picking in the top 7, while all the other teams in the division were picking in the 20's with a winning record. So, this team that has been living in the basement of the AFC West for 2 seasons better take advantage of the draft process to see if they can stop being so bad. As if being mercifully brought in by the Los Angeles Rams as a little tenant wasn't bad enough. Congrats, Chargers. Let's see if this team can put together a winning season and a decent playoff run before Rivers' arm falls off for good.
    I guess you didn't get the memo...bap sent it around
    but it states the bolts drafts picks are the best ever again...the broncos draft picks are lessor talent...the bolts get great top picks because they are so good in the regular season, in fact superbowl caliber if you exempt the most pro bowl impact players put on IR in the history of football

By the way, I felt very comfortable with the Chargers taking Mike Williams at #7. It was a reach in my opinion and it plays right into the Broncos' strength, the secondary. 3 WRs in the top 10 was a surprise and none of them were in the A.J. Green / Julio Jones conversation. Williams has size but he is not a great route runner coming from that Clemson offense and probably won't get much separation in the NFL. I think the Broncos can deal with him. I would have been really worried if the Chargers had added Jonathan Allen. With Bosa, Ingram and Allen together, the Broncos' OL would be in a lot of trouble and the pocket would collapse really fast with inside pressure. So, I think the Chargers drafting Mike Williams was a blessing.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    I guess you didn't get the memo...bap sent it around
    but it states the bolts drafts picks are the best ever again...the broncos draft picks are lessor talent...the bolts get great top picks because they are so good in the regular season, in fact superbowl caliber if you exempt the most pro bowl impact players put on IR in the history of football
    this is proof how straight up full of crap you are. all anyone has to do is read my original post in this thread to see that i didn't and don't claim every pick is great.

literally the only way i can think he could have had a better draft is if jamal adams fell one more spot to them and he drafted him rather than williams and their 4th round pick is a little questionable, that's it.
    also this.......

most of you know my opinion on the chargers draft by now i am pretty happy with it to say the least. the last two seasons i think telesco has been one of the very best in the league with his draft picks, picking in the top 10 no doubt contributes to that.
    nevermind that i didn't even mention their top 10 pick in the draft because it was not one of their better picks IMO

some would consider it a bit of a reach but the fit is so perfect and the benefits of having a guy like that implanted in the offense will certainly be worthy of the pick if he can stay healthy.

their best picks were in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th rounds. that's two years in a row telesco landed great value picks in the 5th round. these are all things you and others are ignoring and just pretending i'm simply being a homer and that's it.

its all you got.

I'm all in....Chargers fan FOR LIFE!.......worse than getting the electric chair!

By the way, I felt very comfortable with the Chargers taking Mike Williams at #7. It was a reach in my opinion and it plays right into the Broncos' strength, the secondary. 3 WRs in the top 10 was a surprise and none of them were in the A.J. Green / Julio Jones conversation. Williams has size but he is not a great route runner coming from that Clemson offense and probably won't get much separation in the NFL. I think the Broncos can deal with him. I would have been really worried if the Chargers had added Jonathan Allen. With Bosa, Ingram and Allen together, the Broncos' OL would be in a lot of trouble and the pocket would collapse really fast with inside pressure. So, I think the Chargers drafting Mike Williams was a blessing.
    right before the draft on the chargers forums i said i wanted allen but if the injury concerns are too much then i said i thought they should draft williams. allen fell almost all the way to the broncos, obviously teams are concerned.

as far as your take about williams, yes that's the well documented concerns people have with williams. the only problem with that is he is so good at high pointing the ball and has such a large catch radius, it won't matter if he is covered or not a lot of the time.

if he is left one on one with a smaller corner, have fun with that. you still have allen to deal with, who is one of the best route runners in the league. you still have tyrell williams to deal with as well or possibly hunter hery or gates over the middle. gordon out of the backfield anyone?

meanwhile even without allen the chargers have a very good pass rush with bosa and ingram on the edge. the chargers have rivers who is a smart veteran who has a very quick release.

the broncos are going to be in trouble with whoever ends up being the QB if the broncos don't find a consistent running game because their QB's are not going to be able to get the ball out of their hands as fast as a guy like rivers.

especially if the chargers OL does improve and with the depth they know have at OL, it's hard to believe it won't.

vincent jackson wasn't fast or a great route runner either, wonder why he was so dominating when he played for the chargers? what vincent jackson developed into over time is what mike williams is right now coming out of college, only more talented.

he's similar to dez bryant coming out of college, minus the diva attitude and even more physical and better with YAC. i also think williams is more refined than bryant was coming out of college.

but yeah, you could argue it was a bit of a reach in terms of value, speed and route running are not his strong suit's. i actually think WR's with elite speed don't work well with rivers, they never have.
    Last edited by baphamet; 05-01-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Hey Baph.....didn't you overpay for a LT that was not resigned by our dismal o-line group?

Just saying......
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Hey Baph.....didn't you overpay for a LT that was not resigned by our dismal o-line group?

Just saying......
    hey EM......didn't you draft a developmental LT in the first round because you didn't over-pay for your proven LT? are you saying bolles > okung?

there is a reason multiple teams were over-paying for proven OL players in general.

just saying......

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    hey EM......didn't you draft a developmental LT in the first round because you didn't over-pay for your proven LT? are you saying bolles > okung?

there is a reason multiple teams were over-paying for proven OL players in general.

just saying......
    ya its called desperation

PS...Bolles was regarded as a 1st round pick...your trying to act like hes a 6h round project which is a joke

are you saying bolles > okung?

just saying......
    The Seahawks chose to not re-sign Okung in 2016 and they were trying to jump ahead of the Broncos to get Bolles last week. Bolles was gone, they traded down. So, don't be totally surprised if Bolles becomes an upgrade sooner than later. Okung has the experience, but he's struggled to stay healthy through the years and he's not the athlete he used to be because his ankles have been giving him trouble a while.

EDIT: And it's funny that you're implying this is not a good OL class and teams overpaid for proven players, yet the Chargers just drafted 3 o-linemen from this class and the two rookie guards taken in rounds 2 and 3 are the hope of protection for your QB.
    Last edited by -Rod-; 05-01-2017 at 02:28 PM.

just saying......
    The only thing Okung proved last year is that he's not a very good LT and has a propensity for being penalized at the worst possible moment...

The Seahawks chose to not re-sign Okung in 2016 and they were trying to jump ahead of the Broncos to get Bolles last week. Bolles was gone, they traded down. So, don't be totally surprised if Bolles becomes an upgrade sooner than later. Okung has the experience, but he's struggled to stay healthy through the years and he's not the athlete he used to be because his ankles have been giving him trouble a while.
    and with the broncos refusing to resign him it sounds like a perfect reason to over pay him, right bap

I mean nothing says desperate like over paying for a tackle dropped by two teams in consecutive years to a long term 53,mill

25 mill fully guaranteed