Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Have we addressed our TE and RB coverage weakness?

Our secondary has been the best in the league the past two years in my opinion. The passing stats say that, but I just look at the talent and the way they impact the game. Our pass rush isn't as good as it was in 2015, but it's still pretty good. We struggled a lot in stopping the run, but I believe beefing up the DLine and a coaching change may solve that problem. However, I'm not sure we've addressed the biggest weakness in our defense, covering RBs and TEs with our LBs.

Now I know team use Safeties to cover these positions as well. I'm not a fan of that because Ward is a hitter, but his coverage is suspect. Going back to the Atlanta game last year, I was nervous before the game started. I really believed we would do a good job covering Julio, which we did. But I was concerned about how we would limit their speedy RBs that catch passes out of the backfield and line up as WRs. The Falcons didn't score 40 or anything, but they exposed our LBs. It was bad. We have two great pass rushing OLBs in Von and Shane, but outside of B Marshall, I don't trust any of them in coverage. Lots of potent offenses have pass catching RBs and the elites even have effective TEs. I'm not worried or panicked, but does anyone else know of a secret weapon we have that I'm overlooking? I'm a fan of Boles, but was split on choosing Foster simply because he could lock up our pass D and he's a vicious tackler, so I never thought would make it to #20.

Not in a player vs. player perspective by adding any players... yet. But can hopefully be addressed this year by schemes and gameplanning.

On the Foster issue. One of my favorite players in the draft for need and what he would bring to the Broncos. But I am going to trust in the scouting process that linfluenced Elway to not pick him.

Foster must have more issues and/or severe injury issues then we know. Too many good. GMs passed on him. Not just Elway. As much as we may have wanted to make that pick there has to be substantial reasons so many did not.

49ers have the luxury to take the risk. Maybe it will work out for them and for Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    Our secondary has been the best in the league the past two years in my opinion. The passing stats say that, but I just look at the talent and the way they impact the game. Our pass rush isn't as good as it was in 2015, but it's still pretty good. We struggled a lot in stopping the run, but I believe beefing up the DLine and a coaching change may solve that problem. However, I'm not sure we've addressed the biggest weakness in our defense, covering RBs and TEs with our LBs.

Now I know team use Safeties to cover these positions as well. I'm not a fan of that because Ward is a hitter, but his coverage is suspect. Going back to the Atlanta game last year, I was nervous before the game started. I really believed we would do a good job covering Julio, which we did. But I was concerned about how we would limit their speedy RBs that catch passes out of the backfield and line up as WRs. The Falcons didn't score 40 or anything, but they exposed our LBs. It was bad. We have two great pass rushing OLBs in Von and Shane, but outside of B Marshall, I don't trust any of them in coverage. Lots of potent offenses have pass catching RBs and the elites even have effective TEs. I'm not worried or panicked, but does anyone else know of a secret weapon we have that I'm overlooking? I'm a fan of Boles, but was split on choosing Foster simply because he could lock up our pass D and he's a vicious tackler, so I never thought would make it to #20.
    If Jake Butt recovers to 100% from his ACL injury he is a huge weapon. He was projected to be at least a 2nd round talent before his injury from what I've heard. We need a capable, pass catching tight end almost as badly as a LT so our options are never just "pass to Sanders and DT, hope for the best."

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Not in a player vs. player perspective by adding any players... yet. But can hopefully be addressed this year by schemes and gameplanning.

On the Foster issue. One of my favorite players in the draft for need and what he would bring to the Broncos. But I am going to trust in the scouting process that linfluenced Elway to not pick him.

Foster must have more issues and/or severe injury issues then we know. Too many good. GMs passed on him. Not just Elway. As much as we may have wanted to make that pick there has to be substantial reasons so many did not.

49ers have the luxury to take the risk. Maybe it will work out for them and for Foster.
    On Foster I'm thinking it had to be an injury concern as well. Tonsil was filmed smoking with a gas mask last year and still went around #14. So I'm guessing GMs had injury concerns too.

To answer your question as well, I think the biggest problem wasn't always the talent of stopping the run, but how exhausted the defense was the amount of time they were on field. The offense would show up for about 2 minutes, go three and out, punt, and defense is back on, usually for 5 minutes or more. To counter that I believe we have signed for depth, to keep the d line fresh. But also it seems that the FO does not value the ILB position that highly, and will be more than willing to poach off practice squads and such.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    To answer your question as well, I think the biggest problem wasn't always the talent of stopping the run, but how exhausted the defense was the amount of time they were on field. The offense would show up for about 2 minutes, go three and out, punt, and defense is back on, usually for 5 minutes or more. To counter that I believe we have signed for depth, to keep the d line fresh. But also it seems that the FO does not value the ILB position that highly, and will be more than willing to poach off practice squads and such.
    I think Peko is slightly better than Sly and its possible watson could be on Malik's level after a good camp and good experience. Remember Malik was only a stud because von and wolf ate up most of the double teams. in jax he's decent. Crick was really bad.. Orlando Franklin rag dolled him for Pete's Sake. With our D line improved and fortified (on paper) I am confident we are a much better fighting force this year than last barring significant injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySnipes View Post
    I think Peko is slightly better than Sly and its possible watson could be on Malik's level after a good camp and good experience. Remember Malik was only a stud because von and wolf ate up most of the double teams. in jax he's decent. Crick was really bad.. Orlando Franklin rag dolled him for Pete's Sake. With our D line improved and fortified (on paper) I am confident we are a much better fighting force this year than last barring significant injuries.
    Wait, I'm lost. Who's Watson? Menelik Watson? He's the right tackle.
    Damn proud to be a Phi! Brother in the Bond #105 Texas Tau

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    If Jake Butt recovers to 100% from his ACL injury he is a huge weapon. He was projected to be at least a 2nd round talent before his injury from what I've heard. We need a capable, pass catching tight end almost as badly as a LT so our options are never just "pass to Sanders and DT, hope for the best."
    I was definitely surprised he was still on the board when we drafted him, but honestly, the issue with our projected pass catching TEs is they're always hurt. Virgil Green showed a lot of potential in the passing game, but is constantly hurt. Jeff Heuerman was then supposed to be the next pass catching threat, but got hurt at the beginning of camp. Butt definitely has potential, but again, our hopeful TE of the future was drafted injured and likely will miss this season.

TE I think we did address very well. Butt should be ready sometime this season. I am curious if McCoy's offense will help all of them. His QB's we threw a lot of balls to TE's with Denver and San Diego. Our ability to cover RB's out of the backfield? We are going to get some practice in practice this year. We might still need to see about a FA to help that scenario.

I feel the same way as the OP I don't think we did enough to address the departure of Danny Trevathan, not last off-season and not this off-season.

Now I recently went as far as saying that Trevathan was superb in his coverage skills during the 2015 season and somebody called me out on it but I don't care Danny Trevathanwas pretty damn superb and we need to find a cover linebacker that could handle pass catching running back's as well as TEs.

As far is Brandon Marshall goes, he's pretty good but he's no DT and he'd be better served if he moved back to his original position and we actually went out and found a cover linebacker. Believe me it is not Todd Davis it is not Cory Nelson and it is definitely not Zaire Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I feel the same way as the OP I don't think we did enough to address the departure of Danny Trevathan, not last off-season and not this off-season.

Now I recently went as far as saying that Trevathan was superb in his coverage skills during the 2015 season and somebody called me out on it but I don't care Danny Trevathanwas pretty damn superb and we need to find a cover linebacker that could handle pass catching running back's as well as TEs.

As far is Brandon Marshall goes, he's pretty good but he's no DT and he'd be better served if he moved back to his original position and we actually went out and found a cover linebacker. Believe me it is not Todd Davis it is not Cory Nelson and it is definitely not Zaire Anderson.
    Great post! Zaire is a run support machine but not a cover linebacker. I am also not seeing that from Davis or Nelson. This is where we may get exposed on Defense. I am hoping a FA gets cut that can help us. I wonder if one of our Safeties could close the gap on the RB's but obviously that can leave you vulnerable in other coverage schemes and run support.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

Agreed Danny was a monster in coverage. You get lucky from time to time by finding low draft picks or even UFA that come in and play well, but I don't think that strategy is going to work at ILB. I think we needed to draft high or get a vet. We'll have to see if anyone steps up this year.

Elway refuses to address the LB position. Todd Davis is atrocious in every sense of the word.

Corey Nelson's coverage is kinda nice.

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    Agreed Danny was a monster in coverage. You get lucky from time to time by finding low draft picks or even UFA that come in and play well, but I don't think that strategy is going to work at ILB. I think we needed to draft high or get a vet. We'll have to see if anyone steps up this year.
    They really should've found a way to keep him on this team.