The One Second "I Like That Person" Test

Trying to keep this positive, there are two sides to the test I propose (which is really nothing more than a reaction), but I prefer using a positive title given how easily negativity swarms if given a little kick start.

Anyway....

To set the table, for some folks we know, there are thousands of variables/experiences that may impact our deepest feelings towards them. The more we know the individual, the more connections we have with them. And in the end, after all this data gets sifted through our active minds, similar to most evaluations there is an immediate feeling we have when we are asked to rate them...similar to how we would evaluate a job applicant, or how we would evaluate a sports figure, and so on. You can write pages and pages of analysis information, but the gut feeling formula will often be pretty accurate if pressed for a quick answer.

In that regard, my one second test (ok...approx. one second), consists of a simple dynamic. When a person suddenly appears in view, do you feel good or not so good? Does a smile come to your face, or at least a smile inside? All in all, as soon as you recognize them, do you have a positive vibe?

As I mentioned, the same goes for the opposite side of the ledger. For example, if you had a terrible boss who did nothing to support your career, I am sure if you bumped into them somewhere, your first feeling might not be so happy. I think you know what I mean.

And although I have not tried out this test much, given I just had the idea pop into my head, I do realize that sometimes the way the other person reacts when they see you, has an impact. Say someone you do not know well shows up, and immediately waves at you, with a nice grin on their face, I believe that the initial feeling you may have will be influenced by their reaction to seeing you. Now, that is not misleading, rather it may give you the right vibe even though normally you do not have a strong feeling towards them. Maybe it's that smile and friendly look that wins your heart over. But down deep, I believe you liked them enough to allow their friendly approach not to mislead your true feelings. Heck, sometimes there are folks that may be slight con artists (like the sales person who really wants your cash) but still, your collective memories of them are pretty good overall. They are consistent.

So....maybe for fun, see how you react whenever you see someone you know pop into your vision. It can be your partner or kids or best friend, and in those cases, it will likely feel nice. In fact, after many, many years of marriage, almost 100% of the time I see my wife, I feel a glow of some sort. This even after a little "debate", to put it lightly.

Taking it further, start noticing your "one second (or so)" vibe when anyone you know pops up, maybe even a person you do not know.

It is not a scientifically recognized test as far as I know, albeit, it might just be! But check it out. And then ask yourself if you are at least mildly surprised about some of your reactions.

Only Mr. Zera, my friend & mentor makes me smile
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

awe ... that's sweet that you still feel a glow of some sort each time you see your wife. After 20 years with my husband ... I always figure romance is dead.

As for everyone else, I pretty much smile and say hello to everybody .... but try getting much more conversation than that out of me, and it's unlikely for the most part unless I truly like you.

Kinda makes me laugh though when I read your post about watching people's reaction to yourself though, haha .... just because people have a bad reaction doesn't mean I'll treat them any differently than I was when I caused the reaction..... I am a pain when I have to be one.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    awe ... that's sweet that you still feel a glow of some sort each time you see your wife. After 20 years with my husband ... I always figure romance is dead.

As for everyone else, I pretty much smile and say hello to everybody .... but try getting much more conversation than that out of me, and it's unlikely for the most part unless I truly like you.

Kinda makes me laugh though when I read your post about watching people's reaction to yourself though, haha .... just because people have a bad reaction doesn't mean I'll treat them any differently than I was when I caused the reaction..... I am a pain when I have to be one.
    Then again, maybe that has something to do with that visit I made to a nuclear plant......

When I meet my wife somewhere and I first see her, I always smile.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    When I meet my wife somewhere and I first see her, I always smile.
    Sam are you saying she takes pictures of you every time she sees you???

Kiddin pal! You got the "glow"!