Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 109

Thread: 104.3 The Fan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Grand Junction, Co
    Posts
    339

    104.3 The Fan

    I was in Denver the past few days and got to listen to Dmac. (I know there are mixed feelings on him)

    From what I gathered he seems to pulling for Lynch pretty hard and I almost got the feeling he is rooting against Trev. I'm not rooting against Lynch but I am on the Trev train for sure .

    Anyway, where I'm headed with this.

    The previous day Stokley made an excellent point on air which I agree with. He basically said, if Trev had been a 1st round guy, with how he performed last year, everyone would be on his bandwagon. But since he was a 7th round guy he is automatically labeled with a low ceiling.

    Sorry if this was already brought up, I just thought Stoak made a great point.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs4 View Post
    I was in Denver the past few days and got to listen to Dmac. (I know there are mixed feelings on him)

    From what I gathered he seems to pulling for Lynch pretty hard and I almost got the feeling he is rooting against Trev. I'm not rooting against Lynch but I am on the Trev train for sure .

    Anyway, where I'm headed with this.

    The previous day Stokley made an excellent point on air which I agree with. He basically said, if Trev had been a 1st round guy, with how he performed last year, everyone would be on his bandwagon. But since he was a 7th round guy he is automatically labeled with a low ceiling.

    Sorry if this was already brought up, I just thought Stoak made a great point.
    There's only a couple of guys that I can stomach on that station. I like Sandy Clough because he's a "no-nonsense" guy like Bob Martin was. And we all remember listening to Bob Martin's broadcast of Broncos games, followed by Broncos Talk, right?

    To your point, I have to agree with Stokley. The "mainstream" Sports Media loves Carson Wentz (1st Rounder), but has little to nothing to say about Siemian who compared very favorably. But, that's the way it's always been since I moved to Denver in 1968. East Coast, or large market teams, always got the publiicity while Denver got zilch. That's what cost Randy Gradishar a spot in the Hall of Fame, IMO.

    But, hey, what are we going to do. It's all part of life's rich pageant!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,394
    I'm not rooting for one or the other, I'm rooting for the Broncos. I want both to have gotten better, and both to compete at a high level to make the decision difficult for the coaches. I don't care which QB it is, I just hope the position as a whole is better than it's been the last 2.5 seasons.

    As for the comment by Stokley, I actually disagree quite a bit with it. I think if he were a first round pick and had played like he did this last season, a lot more people would be calling for him to be replaced and labelling him a bust. I don't agree with that, and I don't think it would be fair, but given the expectations for first round picks, and how quick we as fans are to label players as busts, I think it would have happened quickly. As a first round pick he wouldn't have the label "first year starter" instead it would be strictly second year player. And while his play was above average at times in 2016 (although streaky) it's looked at in a better light because he is a 7th round pick, as a first round pick there would be much greater emphasis placed on the poor stretches he had in 2016, and people would be pointing to the 2nd Chefs game and Patriots games as examples of that.

    Either way, it doesn't matter. Where either QB was picked no longer matters, it's two players battling to be the starter in 2017, draft positions are now out the window, and neither player can use the first year starter/rookie excuses. It's a competition and the best player will win.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,394
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    There's only a couple of guys that I can stomach on that station. I like Sandy Clough because he's a "no-nonsense" guy like Bob Martin was. And we all remember listening to Bob Martin's broadcast of Broncos games, followed by Broncos Talk, right?

    To your point, I have to agree with Stokley. The "mainstream" Sports Media loves Carson Wentz (1st Rounder), but has little to nothing to say about Siemian who compared very favorably. But, that's the way it's always been since I moved to Denver in 1968. East Coast, or large market teams, always got the publiicity while Denver got zilch. That's what cost Randy Gradishar a spot in the Hall of Fame, IMO.

    But, hey, what are we going to do. It's all part of life's rich pageant!

    Carson Wentz was a true rookie in 2016. Siemian was a 7th round pick in 2015 and first year starter. If he's a first round pick in 2015 then it becomes about how he didn't start in 2015 and how he struggled as a second year player in 2016. The narrative completely changes for him as a first round pick, but not how Stokley thinks. The narrative becomes about a second year 1st round pick playing very streaky football and leading an offense that led the league in 3 and outs. Not a second year pro, first year starter getting his feet wet and showing some good things.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    12,934
    I don't understand why so many people think Siemian is at his ceiling already. There's still a lot of improvements he can make and he's still very young.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    At home.
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I don't understand why so many people think Siemian is at his ceiling already. There's still a lot of improvements he can make and he's still very young.
    I agree with you 100%. This is going to br a fun season.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,398
    I agree with Stokely but will people feel the same with Chad Kelly too even though he is a 7th rounder too? Probably not for various reasons, being related to Jim Kelly, he fell because of his injuries and off the field behavior, but he was a 7th round pick, so that alone can't be the sole factor for setting expectations for a QB.

    My opinion on QB expectations: I feel it unfair to judge a QB strictly on what the team's Win/Loss record is at the end of the season. Look at Dak for instance, he got a lot of credit but he has one of the best o-lines in the league. How would have any QB have done with our o-line, our receivers, our running game. I seriously doubt a majority of the QB starters would have done much better. Even when Paxton played, he played so-so but again look at what he was working with. Fans' expectations for this team is that we should be making the playoffs and a SB run every year. Our schedule is never weak, even though last year the Panthers were weak, they were our first game and at that time they were the 2nd best team in the previous season assuming the SB winner is the best team. Call me strange, but if I was a rookie QB starting my first ever NFL game against the Panthers last year who had all offseason to prepare for a rookie QB, I'd be throwing up. I'm a Trev supporter but even if Paxton had played all season we'd be having the same conversation if we didn't get into the playoffs. We Bronco Fans are just spoiled, I don't know how anyone could expect a team to make the playoffs with a first year starting QB, yeah it has been known to happen but it is rare, not the norm. That being said, this year is no different, if we make the playoffs it is unlikely that we will make it to the AFCC. There is too much uncertainty at the QB and RB positions and with a new HC too, then our our new additions. I hope for an exciting year, maybe a surprise ending but I can't expect too much this year until some of these variables get settled.
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,863
    Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    I agree with Stokely but will people feel the same with Chad Kelly too even though he is a 7th rounder too? Probably not for various reasons, being related to Jim Kelly, he fell because of his injuries and off the field behavior, but he was a 7th round pick, so that alone can't be the sole factor for setting expectations for a QB.

    My opinion on QB expectations: I feel it unfair to judge a QB strictly on what the team's Win/Loss record is at the end of the season. Look at Dak for instance, he got a lot of credit but he has one of the best o-lines in the league. How would have any QB have done with our o-line, our receivers, our running game. I seriously doubt a majority of the QB starters would have done much better. Even when Paxton played, he played so-so but again look at what he was working with. Fans' expectations for this team is that we should be making the playoffs and a SB run every year. Our schedule is never weak, even though last year the Panthers were weak, they were our first game and at that time they were the 2nd best team in the previous season assuming the SB winner is the best team. Call me strange, but if I was a rookie QB starting my first ever NFL game against the Panthers last year who had all offseason to prepare for a rookie QB, I'd be throwing up. I'm a Trev supporter but even if Paxton had played all season we'd be having the same conversation if we didn't get into the playoffs. We Bronco Fans are just spoiled, I don't know how anyone could expect a team to make the playoffs with a first year starting QB, yeah it has been known to happen but it is rare, not the norm. That being said, this year is no different, if we make the playoffs it is unlikely that we will make it to the AFCC. There is too much uncertainty at the QB and RB positions and with a new HC too, then our our new additions. I hope for an exciting year, maybe a surprise ending but I can't expect too much this year until some of these variables get settled.
    There's nothing wrong with high expectations, it's what being a fan is about after all. The QB and RB positions seem much improved over last year simply because the players are in place. The turmoil after our SB victory was nothing short of insane. Thanks again to Houston but in actuality some of those big contracts (some deserved, others not so much) had to be reckoned with and now we can start fresh.

    If we can get solid play out of our O-line (not taking the D for granted, they are awesome) and stop losing key players to injury, we have every chance of representing the division. At that point why not make a run at the title?

    Excited for the coaching improvements and general upbeat feeling in the vids posted too. Go Broncs
    My adopted Bronco is Floyd "The Franchise" Little

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red 98 - Red 98
    Posts
    11,881
    Should be interesting to see how the QB battle evolves this year. Really it's not a hopeless situation. We've got a 1st round QB, a late round QB who's proved a capable NFL QB who might have more growing to do, and another late round QB who's ceiling is as high as you can imagine even if those odds are slim. Bottom line is that the team did a pretty good job of giving it's self a chance to have a QB worthy of starting for the Broncos. Never know how things shake out but it's gonna be fun to watch
    _________________________________
    As for 104.3

    I get so bored when Dmac talks about his kids and family. It's like ...... no one cares about your kids. Can we go back to the Broncos please. Don't care where he's going to college or what sports he's good at or 'how great a kid' he is.

    Not a huge dmac fan.. Honestly, hearing people talking about their kids is always a bore if you don't know them personally.

    But it's not just his family that he goes on and on and on and on and on about. Sometimes it's just something that has nothing to do with sports and he just has his conversation like he's not hosting a sports show. Jeez pull it together

    I absolutely love Stokely. He's not only a fan favorite because he played here and has a great personality, but he's really developed into a 'very good' entertainment personality. I love listening to him.

    I love listening to Cecil but I have to admit sometimes he pretty harsh to his partners lol. When there is some kind of disagreement on a topic sometimes he gets a bit heated about it. He's the first to admit it too. Sometimes it makes me cringe but he always talks the topics that I want to hear about and he always has something prepared.

    I think Polumbus is evolving into a worthy radio guy too. Love that he's an ex Bronco with insight on recent squads. I like him. Thanks for the SB win Tyler

    Big Al is ok. I don't mind listening to him. He sometimes comes off a little condescending but many times his NFL experience in on point. But sometimes he tries to exert that NFL experience 'capital' to back a point but it doesn't really fit. I'm just a listener though so what do I know. Just my opinion. Thanks for the SB wins Big Al

    Sandy isn't a bad show to listen to. I don't live in Denver so I don't care about the other teams in the town. Sandy is mainly a Bronco guy but he doesn't leave the other teams out, so when that happens I'm out. Good for Denver - not so great for me.

    I enjoy the morning show quite a bit. Schlereth and Evans. Schlereth's radio personality is a little bit of a cringe for me with the whole admitted ego thing, but all in all it's usually Broncos topics and usually worthy conversation. Usually entertaining. They make me laugh and usually keep me tuned in. Thanks for the SB wins Mark
    Last edited by dizzolve; 05-07-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    Red 98

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    17,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs4 View Post
    The previous day Stokley made an excellent point on air which I agree with. He basically said, if Trev had been a 1st round guy, with how he performed last year, everyone would be on his bandwagon. But since he was a 7th round guy he is automatically labeled with a low ceiling.
    There is no doubt about it.

    Siemian's biggest weakness is that, despite being the superior QB, he's a 7th-round pick standing in the way of a 1st-round QB.

    He has plenty of arm talent; he's the one with better accuracy, mechanics and football IQ. 25 years old, entering his 3rd season. Yet, he's seen as a journeyman that has no more room to grow.

    If Siemian were the 1st-round pick and Lynch the 7th-round pick, there would be no QB competition and we would be talking about Siemian like the Eagles and the NFL talk about Carson Wentz.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,952
    A theory can be tested by pursuing its logic further. If one applies the idea proposed by Stokley and endorsed by the OP, Chris Harris and C.J. Anderson would never have started.

    At this point in time, I don't think draft position makes any difference to the coaches as far as QB competition goes. They are all learning a new offense and the coaches will try to get the best from each player. Upside/floors/ceilings of players are established by what each guy does in meetings, practice and games.

    The coaches will put the best players on the field at all positions including QB. If they don't, they will lose credibility in the locker room.
    Last edited by samparnell; 05-07-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    17,060
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The coaches will put the best players on the field at all positions including QB. If they don't, they will lose credibility in the locker room.
    The coaches will play the best players, and that's why Siemian started last season, but what the OP is saying is the fans treat Siemian like a journeyman with a low ceiling only because of his draft status and they're pushing for Lynch to start because he's the 1st-round QB.

    If Elway drafts a 1st-round CB or RB with Harris and Anderson set as starters, everyone gets playing time and contributes because these positions rotate a lot of players through the season. If Siemian remains the QB, we won't see Lynch play, barring injury or garbage-time snaps.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,952
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    The coaches will play the best players, and that's why Siemian started last season, but what the OP is saying is the fans treat Siemian like a journeyman with a low ceiling only because of his draft status and they're pushing for Lynch to start because he's the 1st-round QB.

    If Elway drafts a 1st-round CB or RB with Harris and Anderson set as starters, everyone gets playing time and contributes because these positions rotate a lot of players through the season. If Siemian remains the QB, we won't see Lynch play, barring injury or garbage-time snaps.
    I don't pay a lot of attention to what fans think or want. My preference is to see what happens on the football field. To me that is more important than where a guy was drafted.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dinner Table, Hungry
    Posts
    1,484
    I really don't understand why people put such an emphasis on a Quarterback's draft standing-

    For a QB, for any position-

    It doesn't matter when they were picked, how much they are paid- Football is Football, it's ugly...

    What matters is, how does the man BALL!? Does he give us the best chance to win? Can a rookie with some experience quickly meet his play value?

    Siemian's play was adequate last year- playing somewhere from the middle half- to the middle of the lower half value of quarterbacks.

    If coach's think he's got more room to improve- it's going to be hard for Lynch or Kelly to take the position from him.

    To be honest, what I've seen from Lynch hasn't impressed me all that much. Is he an accurate passer? Many of his drives last year were wild.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,863
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    The coaches will play the best players, and that's why Siemian started last season, but what the OP is saying is the fans treat Siemian like a journeyman with a low ceiling only because of his draft status and they're pushing for Lynch to start because he's the 1st-round QB.

    If Elway drafts a 1st-round CB or RB with Harris and Anderson set as starters, everyone gets playing time and contributes because these positions rotate a lot of players through the season. If Siemian remains the QB, we won't see Lynch play, barring injury or garbage-time snaps.
    The difference in QB's last year looked like night and day, Lynch wasn't even close. Let's see what another season does for the learning curve.

    CB's And RB's can make up for a lot with athleticism, signal callers get eaten alive by a defense that finds them out.
    My adopted Bronco is Floyd "The Franchise" Little

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •