Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 104.3 The Fan

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I don't pay a lot of attention to what fans think or want. My preference is to see what happens on the football field. To me that is more important than where a guy was drafted.
    Besides the fans, I'd also include part of the media. It go to the point where fans and media (Cecil Lammey) were advocating a trade to send Siemian to the Bills, Jets or whatever to end the competition and open the path for Paxton Lynch.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    The difference in QB's last year looked like night and day, Lynch wasn't even close. Let's see what another season does for the learning curve.

CB's And RB's can make up for a lot with athleticism, signal callers get eaten alive by a defense that finds them out.
    This was also my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Besides the fans, I'd also include part of the media. It go to the point where fans and media (Cecil Lammey) were advocating a trade to send Siemian to the Bills, Jets or whatever to end the competition and open the path for Paxton Lynch.
    They are so brilliant.

I like the situation Denver has at QB right now. They drafted Chad Kelly in the seventh, but he's recovering from injury and it isn't known when he'll be able to throw. They will need three throwers since there's 26 guys to whom to throw. That's two lines with nine and one with eight. They apparently signed Kyle Sloter from UNC and he has a good arm. Siemian, Lynch, Kelly and Sloter should be a good group especially when Kelly can throw.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

A few thoughts:

1) Any employer will expect more from a higher round selection so to speak. It is a bigger initial investment, so you trust your scouting/drafting instincts, and then see how things unfold. Same would apply in private business initially. If you hire a person with decent credentials but is not high on your list, and then you hire what looks to be a potential riser, and who you invest more into initially, you will probably stick it out with the higher potential person until it makes no more sense to do so. It is 101 business.

2) But, being an NFL QB is not a normal job. Some rise, some fall. The future is hard to predict.

3) Also, so much rides on your QB, which makes scouting, drafting, developing a major undertaking. A high pick that fails will be painful, but if you wait too long in the draft, you may miss out on "the guy", the one who advances once they hit the big leagues.

4) In fairness to Paxton, I think we need to compare apple to apples, which means he needs to be given more time to evolve, because Trevor is the older/more experienced guy. Not even sure what we would have thought about Trevor in year one.

5) This year, even with Trevor's additional experience, will tell a whole lot more. If Paxton starts to get a better handle on things, he may be the destined one. Whereas if Trevor shows even more maturity/skill, he may make this a tough decision long run. The good news, if both progress, the decision will be one that you want to have!

Let's not generalize all fans into this category that the only reason they're down on Trevor because he was a 7th round qb. If Trevor was the first rounder and Paxton was the 7th rounder, I would still feel exactly the same way. That I wasn't that impressed with either one of them and hope that one of them can improve into a franchise quarterback for us. Or Chad. Doesn't matter to me. Doesn't matter the draft status. Not a single qb on our roster was an impressive NFL quarterback last year in my opinion. But, I recognize that the two rookies will have their shot to develop and the two guys from last year will have a chance to improve upon their play. So, I'm excited to see if any of our four guys can grow into something worthy of a franchise qb.

I just get annoyed that because I'm not willing to claim Trevor as the for sure future qb, it must mean I'm a Paxton fan or think that just because he's a 7th rounder, he can't be that guy. So, let's stop with assuming that anyone that doesn't agree with your side feels that way.

Some of the posts I've read don't tout Lynch because of his draft position, but because of his athletic ability. They start oohing and ahhing about the strength of his arm and his mobility. It should, however, be obvious to everyone by now that sheer athletic ability is not what makes a successful quarterback. Case in point: Al Davis drafting Jamarcus Russell on the basis of his arm strength.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    A few thoughts:

1) Any employer will expect more from a higher round selection so to speak. It is a bigger initial investment, so you trust your scouting/drafting instincts, and then see how things unfold. Same would apply in private business initially. If you hire a person with decent credentials but is not high on your list, and then you hire what looks to be a potential riser, and who you invest more into initially, you will probably stick it out with the higher potential person until it makes no more sense to do so. It is 101 business.

2) But, being an NFL QB is not a normal job. Some rise, some fall. The future is hard to predict.

3) Also, so much rides on your QB, which makes scouting, drafting, developing a major undertaking. A high pick that fails will be painful, but if you wait too long in the draft, you may miss out on "the guy", the one who advances once they hit the big leagues.

4) In fairness to Paxton, I think we need to compare apple to apples, which means he needs to be given more time to evolve, because Trevor is the older/more experienced guy. Not even sure what we would have thought about Trevor in year one.

5) This year, even with Trevor's additional experience, will tell a whole lot more. If Paxton starts to get a better handle on things, he may be the destined one. Whereas if Trevor shows even more maturity/skill, he may make this a tough decision long run. The good news, if both progress, the decision will be one that you want to have!
    It's thought-provoking, and well thought out Posts like this that make Bronco Country Message Boards so iformative, and such a pleasure.

Just a few additional comments.

1) If you hire a guy from Harvard, and you hire a guy from Topeka Body and Fender college who does a better job for your firm, then who do you count on with your most valued customers. You don't give the Harvard graduate those jobs, just because he came from Harvard, until he shows he can do a better job than the guy from Topeka Body and Fender College.

2) We can look at the job that both QBs did in their respective Starts from last season. We have a history available to us. Of course, when you hire a new Coaching staff, they may ultimately disagree with the decisions of the previous regime. And thus, we have what Joseph calls an "open" competition that will reward the winner.

3) Every QB taken in the Draft is a "crapshoot" to one degree or another. The QB taken in a recent Draft who was spoken of as being the QB of a decade (Andrew Luck), isn't exactly burning things up in this league. While QBs like Wilson, Carr, and Prescott, taken in later rounds, seem to be having some pretty decent success. Luck's legacy has yet to be written,

4) Siemian had one "kneel down" snap in his rookie season. Going into last season, Siemian had Zero starts in the NFL (same as Lynch). And Siemian beat out a 1st Round Pick and a grizzled Veteran in pre-season.

5) If Lynch "starts to get a better handle on things", and it still doesn't get him any higher than Siemian's shoe laces, he's "destined" to ride the pine. If Trevor shows more "maturity/skill", and can actually make a difference as a QB, he could be the Broncos Franchise QB of the future. But, I totally agree that if Lynch makes a miraculous step forward, then it's great for the Broncos. We would have a proven starter in Siemian, and a QB who beat out our proven starter. I can't imagine anyone not being happy if that were to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Let's not generalize all fans into this category that the only reason they're down on Trevor because he was a 7th round qb. If Trevor was the first rounder and Paxton was the 7th rounder, I would still feel exactly the same way. That I wasn't that impressed with either one of them and hope that one of them can improve into a franchise quarterback for us. Or Chad. Doesn't matter to me. Doesn't matter the draft status. Not a single qb on our roster was an impressive NFL quarterback last year in my opinion. But, I recognize that the two rookies will have their shot to develop and the two guys from last year will have a chance to improve upon their play. So, I'm excited to see if any of our four guys can grow into something worthy of a franchise qb.

I just get annoyed that because I'm not willing to claim Trevor as the for sure future qb, it must mean I'm a Paxton fan or think that just because he's a 7th rounder, he can't be that guy. So, let's stop with assuming that anyone that doesn't agree with your side feels that way.
    Let's also not pretend that countless Posts on this Board have made exactly that argument. Not to mention the dozens of Posts that suggest that Elway's "pride" and "ego" are tied up in the idea that he wants Lynch to start over Siemian.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Let's also not pretend that countless Posts on this Board have made exactly that argument. Not to mention the dozens of Posts that suggest that Elway's "pride" and "ego" are tied up in the idea that he wants Lynch to start over Siemian.
    Don't see the point of what you just posted? I stated that not ALL think that way. Therefore, one could assume that I wasn't saying no one thinks that way... Sometimes people read what they want to read instead of what's actually there. Myself included.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 05-07-2017 at 05:22 PM.

People.keep mentioning simien beat lynch last year but lynch was never part of the QB competition. It was only Sanchez and lynch who split 1st and 2nd team reps.

Too much is being said on here about the QB competing for playing time. Ideally every play should compete for playing time. I know that isn't the case but it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Should be interesting to see how the QB battle evolves this year. Really it's not a hopeless situation. We've got a 1st round QB, a late round QB who's proved a capable NFL QB who might have more growing to do, and another late round QB who's ceiling is as high as you can imagine even if those odds are slim. Bottom line is that the team did a pretty good job of giving it's self a chance to have a QB worthy of starting for the Broncos. Never know how things shake out but it's gonna be fun to watch

I get so bored when Dmac talks about his kids and family. It's like ...... no one cares about your kids. Can we go back to the Broncos please. Don't care where he's going to college or what sports he's good at or 'how great a kid' he is.

Not a huge dmac fan.. Honestly, hearing people talking about their kids is always a bore if you don't know them personally.

But it's not just his family that he goes on and on and on and on and on about. Sometimes it's just something that has nothing to do with sports and he just has his conversation like he's not hosting a sports show. Jeez pull it together

I absolutely love Stokely. He's not only a fan favorite because he played here and has a great personality, but he's really developed into a 'very good' entertainment personality. I love listening to him.

I love listening to Cecil but I have to admit sometimes he pretty harsh to his partners lol. When there is some kind of disagreement on a topic sometimes he gets a bit heated about it. He's the first to admit it too. Sometimes it makes me cringe but he always talks the topics that I want to hear about and he always has something prepared.

I think Polumbus is evolving into a worthy radio guy too. Love that he's an ex Bronco with insight on recent squads. I like him. Thanks for the SB win Tyler

Big Al is ok. I don't mind listening to him. He sometimes comes off a little condescending but many times his NFL experience in on point. But sometimes he tries to exert that NFL experience 'capital' to back a point but it doesn't really fit. I'm just a listener though so what do I know. Just my opinion. Thanks for the SB wins Big Al

Sandy isn't a bad show to listen to. I don't live in Denver so I don't care about the other teams in the town. Sandy is mainly a Bronco guy but he doesn't leave the other teams out, so when that happens I'm out. Good for Denver - not so great for me.

I enjoy the morning show quite a bit. Schlereth and Evans. Schlereth's radio personality is a little bit of a cringe for me with the whole admitted ego thing, but all in all it's usually Broncos topics and usually worthy conversation. Usually entertaining. They make me laugh and usually keep me tuned in. Thanks for the SB wins Mark
    This is a pretty good take.

I appreciate Sandy, though he is still a jerk at times.

Dmac has grown on me a bit, but I do get tired of him. Big Al is pretty average to below average. He and Dmac have some chemistry and that makes it work.

Stokley is much better without CJ. The two together I thought were really boring.

Cecil is really good if he is paired with the right person.

Polumbus is fun to listen to. He's a breath of fresh air on the radio.

Schlereth and Evans are absolute crap together. When Polumbus subbed for Schlereth a little while back, the show was good. Likewise, if Cecil subs for Evans it is good. Evans and Schlereth may have some chemistry in person, but it just sounds like man-love on the radio. I can't listen to them anymore. I turn to 950 to hear Vic.

The all-time best show Denver had was Vic and Gary...

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    As for the comment by Stokley, I actually disagree quite a bit with it. I think if he were a first round pick and had played like he did this last season, a lot more people would be calling for him to be replaced and labelling him a bust.
    Gonna have to disagree with your disagreement.

People are praising Carson Wentz and hyping him up after this season.

Wentz had 3,782 yards 16 TD 14 INT 14 fumbles (14!!!)
    Trevor had 3,401 yards 18 TD 10 INT 4 fumbles.

So what makes Wentz a QB of the future and not TS? No one is calling Wentz a bust at all. Best I can tell it's that one went in the first round and as such people are willing to be patient with him, one was a 7th rounder so every just things that means he can't ever be worth a crap.

All you have to do to prove Stokely's point is to look at Wentz numbers, then look at TS's numbers.

Oh and here is the kicker that I haven't mentioned yet, TS's numbers compare very well, TS played 2 less games than Wentz did...

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Carson Wentz was a true rookie in 2016. Siemian was a 7th round pick in 2015 and first year starter. If he's a first round pick in 2015 then it becomes about how he didn't start in 2015 and how he struggled as a second year player in 2016. The narrative completely changes for him as a first round pick, but not how Stokley thinks. The narrative becomes about a second year 1st round pick playing very streaky football and leading an offense that led the league in 3 and outs. Not a second year pro, first year starter getting his feet wet and showing some good things.
    People get way to hung up on it being his second year....There is a vast difference between practice and live gameplay. You can only learn so much sitting on the bench, the real growth doesn't normally start until a player hits the field...

The "but it's his second year, he wasn't a rookie" crap just seems like an excuse to knock his performance down a peg because he's not the preferred QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with your disagreement.

People are praising Carson Wentz and hyping him up after this season.

Wentz had 3,782 yards 16 TD 14 INT 14 fumbles (14!!!)
    Trevor had 3,401 yards 18 TD 10 INT 4 fumbles.

So what makes Wentz a QB of the future and not TS? No one is calling Wentz a bust at all. Best I can tell it's that one went in the first round and as such people are willing to be patient with him, one was a 7th rounder so every just things that means he can't ever be worth a crap.

All you have to do to prove Stokely's point is to look at Wentz numbers, then look at TS's numbers.

Oh and here is the kicker that I haven't mentioned yet, TS's numbers compare very well, TS played 2 less games than Wentz did...
    Seems like a very logical post to me .🖒