Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 109

Thread: 104.3 The Fan

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,283
    I just wonder if TS has that drive to win, that overwhelming hate of losing where he will do anything to win. That drive seems to be a common theme among great players and leaders on the field in the NFL.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    3,230
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee View Post
    The all-time best show Denver had was Vic and Gary...
    Irv Brown and Joe Williams.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,924
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Irv Brown and Joe Williams.
    Red dog!!!!!

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,947
    The TS low ceiling thing....

    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he has NEVER been good.

    According to Rivals.com he was the 39th QB in his class of 2010, NW beat out the likes of Rutgers, Syracuse, and Duke to sign him.

    While at NW he was border line awful. Never really able to solidify himself as their true QB until his final year. Always subbing in and out with Kain Colter. After Colter graduated giving TS the full time job he had a FANTASTIC senior year of 7 TDs and 11 INT.

    Following his knee injuries TS was the 22nd ranked QB coming into the draft according to cbssports.com and was nearly the last pick in the draft.

    People assume he has a low ceiling because he has never shown to have enormus potential. It's far more likely that everyone has always been right about him, for the course of his entire playing career, than everyone missing and this kid being a gem.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    The TS low ceiling thing....

    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he has NEVER been good.

    According to Rivals.com he was the 39th QB in his class of 2010, NW beat out the likes of Rutgers, Syracuse, and Duke to sign him.

    While at NW he was border line awful. Never really able to solidify himself as their true QB until his final year. Always subbing in and out with Kain Colter. After Colter graduated giving TS the full time job he had a FANTASTIC senior year of 7 TDs and 11 INT.

    Following his knee injuries TS was the 22nd ranked QB coming into the draft according to cbssports.com and was nearly the last pick in the draft.

    People assume he has a low ceiling because he has never shown to have enormus potential. It's far more likely that everyone has always been right about him, for the course of his entire playing career, than everyone missing and this kid being a gem.
    All football players play in a given system under certain coaches. Joe Montana was recruited to Notre Dame by Ara Parseghian and ended up playing for Dan Devine. He was drafted by the Niners in the third round in 1979 by Bill Walsh and did quite well.

    Trevor Siemian played in a Spread Option offense at Northwestern under Pat Fitzgerald. He was scouted by Gary Kubiak who sent Greg Knapp to work him out. They found a smart guy with a big arm who had potential, so they drafted him in the seventh round.

    Of course there was that one guy from Michigan who was drafted in the sixth round. There are other examples. Good players at any position can be found in any draft round or as UDFAs.

    Trevor played well enough in preseason that he wasn't risked as a cut to be signed to the PS, so they kept him on the roster. He had a decent year as first year starter and is a work in progress. We'll see what happens.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoSynapses View Post
    I just wonder if TS has that drive to win, that overwhelming hate of losing where he will do anything to win. That drive seems to be a common theme among great players and leaders on the field in the NFL.
    Look around the league and tell me how many quarterbacks honestly have that unstoppable drive to win. Expectations need to be in-line with reality, Trevor is still young.
    I believe.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,907
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraRob View Post
    Look around the league and tell me how many quarterbacks honestly have that unstoppable drive to win. Expectations need to be in-line with reality, Trevor is still young.
    I know I absolutely could not stand to lose my entire life. Including, as far back as I can remember playing my dad in checkers (first game I remember playing to win against someone). Trevor being a young quarterback has little to do with his desire to win. You either have it or you don't. I'm not saying he doesn't. However, I do know that I want whatever quarterback we end up with to have it.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    16,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    The TS low ceiling thing....

    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he has NEVER been good.

    According to Rivals.com he was the 39th QB in his class of 2010, NW beat out the likes of Rutgers, Syracuse, and Duke to sign him.

    While at NW he was border line awful. Never really able to solidify himself as their true QB until his final year. Always subbing in and out with Kain Colter. After Colter graduated giving TS the full time job he had a FANTASTIC senior year of 7 TDs and 11 INT.

    Following his knee injuries TS was the 22nd ranked QB coming into the draft according to cbssports.com and was nearly the last pick in the draft.

    People assume he has a low ceiling because he has never shown to have enormus potential. It's far more likely that everyone has always been right about him, for the course of his entire playing career, than everyone missing and this kid being a gem.
    So, Siemian was the 39th QB on Rivals.com?

    Carson Wentz was not even ranked by Rivals.com... They did not even create a recruiting profile for him. He had offers from Missouri Valley teams and FCS teams.

    Indeed, Siemian had to rotate with Kain Colter at Northwestern. I can only attribute that to poor coaching in that program. The head coach wanted a running QB to run that simple spread offense that is spreading through college football like a disease and Colter was the kind of athlete with the running ability to do that stuff. When they were forced to throw the ball to get back in the game, the coaches put Siemian on the field.

    I can only imagine the type of success Northwestern could have had installing a more pro-style offense with Siemian as the starting QB, considering his football IQ and ability to absorb information.

    But... How about Carson Wentz at North Dakoa State? He redshirted in 2011, then spent two seasons as Brock Jensen's backup. Yes, he could not beat Brock Jensen for the starting job and only became the starter in 2013, after Jensen left the program. Where is Brock Jensen now? He is playing as a backup in the CFL.

    Could it be another questionable coaching job in college football? Probably. A lot of college coaches defer to seniority when it comes to the QB position. Wentz was kept behind Jensen for two seasons, just like Mitch Trubisky had to serve as Marquise Williams' backup at North Carolina despite being the better QB.

    At Northern Iowa, Kurt Warner was the #3 QB on the depth chart until his senior year.

    If you remember, even Tom Brady rotated with Drew Henson at Michigan and his stock fell because of that. As even Bill Belichick thought before the draft: "Why is Brady getting benched by Drew Henson; what is wrong with him?"

    Does Siemian have a low ceiling because he was ranked as the 22nd QB by CBS? He was flying under the radar like many QBs in the draft process (Warner, Romo...). What does it have to do with his ceiling? CBS ranked Robert Griffin as the #2 QB in 2012, Johnny Manziel was their #2 QB in 2014 and I don't see NFL teams interested in signing these guys.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,426
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    So, Siemian was the 39th QB on Rivals.com?

    Carson Wentz was not even ranked by Rivals.com... They did not even create a recruiting profile for him. He had offers from Missouri Valley teams and FCS teams.

    Indeed, Siemian had to rotate with Kain Colter at Northwestern. I can only attribute that to poor coaching in that program. The head coach wanted a running QB to run that simple spread offense that is spreading through college football like a disease and Colter was the kind of athlete with the running ability to do that stuff. When they were forced to throw the ball to get back in the game, the coaches put Siemian on the field.

    I can only imagine the type of success Northwestern could have had installing a more pro-style offense with Siemian as the starting QB, considering his football IQ and ability to absorb information.

    But... How about Carson Wentz at North Dakoa State? He redshirted in 2011, then spent two seasons as Brock Jensen's backup. Yes, he could not beat Brock Jensen for the starting job and only became the starter in 2013, after Jensen left the program. Where is Brock Jensen now? He is playing as a backup in the CFL.

    Could it be another questionable coaching job in college football? Probably. A lot of college coaches defer to seniority when it comes to the QB position. Wentz was kept behind Jensen for two seasons, just like Mitch Trubisky had to serve as Marquise Williams' backup at North Carolina despite being the better QB.

    At Northern Iowa, Kurt Warner was the #3 QB on the depth chart until his senior year.

    If you remember, even Tom Brady rotated with Drew Henson at Michigan and his stock fell because of that. As even Bill Belichick thought before the draft: "Why is Brady getting benched by Drew Henson; what is wrong with him?"

    Does Siemian have a low ceiling because he was ranked as the 22nd QB by CBS? He was flying under the radar like many QBs in the draft process (Warner, Romo...). What does it have to do with his ceiling? CBS ranked Robert Griffin as the #2 QB in 2012, Johnny Manziel was their #2 QB in 2014 and I don't see NFL teams interested in signing these guys.
    Good post, sometimes you just can't measure a persons tangibles by the ranking of some sports media outlet.
    Better to take the wait and see how that player looks with the eye test and base your own judgement.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,548
    Going to be a long and interesting off season. My guess is we are close to, if not already, finished with free agent signings barring emergency signings. This is the roster we have, so its up to the coaching staff to improve upon last year. My question is if Paxton still cannot unseat Siemian, then is he trade bait? Same thing with Simian? How long do you keep these two before trying to get the best trade out of them.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,666
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Going to be a long and interesting off season. My guess is we are close to, if not already, finished with free agent signings barring emergency signings. This is the roster we have, so its up to the coaching staff to improve upon last year. My question is if Paxton still cannot unseat Siemian, then is he trade bait? Same thing with Simian? How long do you keep these two before trying to get the best trade out of them.
    I'd say that is based entirely on how the preseason plays out. If they both perform well and one gets the nod over the other, then we might in the offseason deal one of them. I doubt anyone gets traded during the season because they are both cheap and you cannot beat a cheap and reliable backup option.


  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Going to be a long and interesting off season. My guess is we are close to, if not already, finished with free agent signings barring emergency signings. This is the roster we have, so its up to the coaching staff to improve upon last year. My question is if Paxton still cannot unseat Siemian, then is he trade bait? Same thing with Simian? How long do you keep these two before trying to get the best trade out of them.
    I wouldn't want to give up on Lynch too early unless Siemian clearly establishes himself as a franchise caliber QB. After all, we potentially control Lynch for 4 more years.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,167
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Going to be a long and interesting off season. My guess is we are close to, if not already, finished with free agent signings barring emergency signings. This is the roster we have, so its up to the coaching staff to improve upon last year. My question is if Paxton still cannot unseat Siemian, then is he trade bait? Same thing with Simian? How long do you keep these two before trying to get the best trade out of them.
    Why trade either of them this year?

    Let them battle it out in pre-season and prepare as if they were the starter. One earns the job and hopefully one establishes himself as a competent backup.

    If starter fades or gets injured in the season the backup is needed. Both on extremely desirable contracts. Broncos have the luxury to be patient until at least next off-season to think about moving one for the right price.

    Think about the cap advantage the Broncos have if this QB situation works. Combined Seimian and Lynch will earn about $3M this year and about $4M next. Even include Kelly making under $1M a year over the next four years.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 05-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Why trade either of them this year?

    Let them battle it out in pre-season and prepare as if they were the starter. One earns the job and hopefully one establishes himself as a competent backup.

    If starter fades or gets injured in the season the backup is needed. Both on extremely desirable contracts. Broncos have the luxury to be patient until at least next off-season to think about moving one for the right price.

    Think about the cap advantage the Broncos have if this QB situation works. Combined Seimian and Lynch will earn about $3M this year and about $4M next. Even include Kelly making under $1M a year over the next four years.
    Right, I agree, you want to keep both Trevor and Paxton on the roster at least for this season, I had the 2018 season in mind. I just think that if our clear starter is found, we already have a solid backup imo with Kelly - why not get value by the next offseason for a pick or a trade before losing either one eventually to free agency? I see this especially true with Trevor, if he is beaten by Lynch then he'll only have one more season with the Broncos before he becomes a FA.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 05-09-2017 at 05:47 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    The TS low ceiling thing....

    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he has NEVER been good.

    According to Rivals.com he was the 39th QB in his class of 2010, NW beat out the likes of Rutgers, Syracuse, and Duke to sign him.

    While at NW he was border line awful. Never really able to solidify himself as their true QB until his final year. Always subbing in and out with Kain Colter. After Colter graduated giving TS the full time job he had a FANTASTIC senior year of 7 TDs and 11 INT.

    Following his knee injuries TS was the 22nd ranked QB coming into the draft according to cbssports.com and was nearly the last pick in the draft.

    People assume he has a low ceiling because he has never shown to have enormus potential. It's far more likely that everyone has always been right about him, for the course of his entire playing career, than everyone missing and this kid being a gem.
    Who cares how some web site ranked him in college? College accomplishments guarantee nothing in the NFL, as has been demonstrated MANY times. All that matters is how he plays in the league.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •