Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 46 to 57 of 57
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    It'll actually be almost 4 years between games for Washington if he plays in the NFL this season. I understand your point about low base salary and that, but I think it's better to develop the young guys and go with them, the upside is much greater. And Denver has had success developing LBs. With an improved offense giving them leads occasionally and the d-line having more depth in the rotation, and being bigger it should help things.
    They are almost four deep at Backer right now; there are fifteen of them.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lochbuie, co
    Posts
    2,629
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    They are almost four deep at Backer right now; there are fifteen of them.
    Yes, three CFA prospects at ILB/MLB ... the route CHJr. took; never know.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    27,656
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Yes, three CFA prospects at ILB/MLB ... the route CHJr. took; never know.
    Besides Marshall, Davis, Nelson and Anderson, there are: Quentin Gause, Kevin Snyder, Josh Banderas, Jerrol Garcia-Williams, and they might try Deon Hollins at ILB.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    8,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    So you're telling me Todd Davis upside is higher than Daryl Washington upside? Because if Washington is only 80% as good as he used to be that is still better than Davis.
    One has played, the other has been off for 3.5 years. You can work out, but it's not the same as actually playing football, getting those live reps, going through your reads and making plays. At 30 years old with not being around football for 3.5 years, it's tough to imagine he'd be close to 80% of his former self. If he's starting off at a deficit, can he get good enough quick enough to steal reps from the 2's and 1's so that he can make the team? Or will he just take reps from other players?

    If the goal is to quickly see what he can do, teams should invite him for a workout and have their position coaches put him through drills, they'll be able to tell really quickly whether it's worth their time or not.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    El Paso, Tx
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by OCbronco10 View Post
    Ya I guess we don't really know what his price tag is...I read that some people in the FO for the cardinals wanted to keep Washington but they couldn't find a common ground on price with his reps. He might be looking at something higher than what everybody wants to pay except the Jags......
    He's already stated that he won't play for the veteran minimum. Who honestly wants an overpriced, out of shape linebacker who'll probably end up suspended again. Probably the jaguars. I'd rather wait on the Eagles to release Mychal Kendricks.
    Last edited by Bterres105; 05-16-2017 at 10:17 PM.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Loveland
    Posts
    5,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    He's already stated that he won't play for the veteran minimum. Who honestly wants an overpriced, out of shape linebacker who'll probably end up suspended again. Probably the jaguars. I'd rather wait on the Eagles to release Mychal Kendricks.
    It's crazy that these posters here continue to think all players will just want to play for minimum, or will take a discount to play for the Broncos. Washington is living off of what he once was, and is hoping some team will bite and he will get one last payday.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    He's already stated that he won't play for the veteran minimum. Who honestly wants an overpriced, out of shape linebacker who'll probably end up suspended again. Probably the jaguars. I'd rather wait on the Eagles to release Mychal Kendricks.
    At this point in his career because of his past, I don't think he has much of a choice. No team is going to spend more on him than that because of the risk. That being said, I am all for getting him if we can get him a minimum deal. If he wants more he can go kick dirt.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    It's crazy that these posters here continue to think all players will just want to play for minimum, or will take a discount to play for the Broncos. Washington is living off of what he once was, and is hoping some team will bite and he will get one last payday.
    I don't know how much you or him think teams out there will pay for a guy will multiple suspension. To be honest, he will be lucky to even get a deal. Like I just mentioned in the post above, I don't see a team giving him more than vet minimum. I understand we are living off of what he did in the past but it's not like he was mediocre a few years ago. He was considered one of the best ILBin the game. Even if he plays at 75% of what he use to play at. It would still be better than our second starting ILB. This is why it would be worth the low risk contract. You'll be able to figure out real quick if he doesn't have it anymore and therefor you cut him. What do you lose?

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    El Paso, Tx
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I don't know how much you or him think teams out there will pay for a guy will multiple suspension. To be honest, he will be lucky to even get a deal. Like I just mentioned in the post above, I don't see a team giving him more than vet minimum. I understand we are living off of what he did in the past but it's not like he was mediocre a few years ago. He was considered one of the best ILBin the game. Even if he plays at 75% of what he use to play at. It would still be better than our second starting ILB. This is why it would be worth the low risk contract. You'll be able to figure out real quick if he doesn't have it anymore and therefor you cut him. What do you lose?
    A roster spot to develop a UDFA.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    A roster spot to develop a UDFA.
    Umm who has a better chance of impacting us this year? A UDFA ( who will most likely still be there if we let him go) or a former Pro Bowler? 🤔

    I'd take my chances on a Pro bowler who has missed time over an UDFA. An UDFA who will most likely be cut regardless or out on the practice squad. A player we can pick back up if we find out that Daryl Washington can't cut it anymore a month later. No brainer

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    El Paso, Tx
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Umm who has a better chance of impacting us this year? A UDFA ( who will most likely still be there if we let him go) or a former Pro Bowler? 🤔

    I'd take my chances on a Pro bowler who has missed time over an UDFA. An UDFA who will most likely be cut regardless or out on the practice squad. A player we can pick back up if we find out that Daryl Washington can't cut it anymore a month later. No brainer
    I think you're assuming a bit too much by saying he'll be an impact player right away. He's been out of the game 4 years. There's a difference between being in shape and being in football shape. If anything the staff would ease him in slowly into the game.

    While normally i don't care for UDFA, Denver is particularly good at finding that diamond in the rough, especially at linebacker. So yeah, I'd rather save that spot for a young player as opposed to a washed up guy that'll probably be suspended.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    I think you're assuming a bit too much by saying he'll be an impact player right away. He's been out of the game 4 years. There's a difference between being in shape and being in football shape. If anything the staff would ease him in slowly into the game.

    While normally i don't care for UDFA, Denver is particularly good at finding that diamond in the rough, especially at linebacker. So yeah, I'd rather save that spot for a young player as opposed to a washed up guy that'll probably be suspended.
    First of all, I am not assuming he will he'll be an impact player right away. I'm saying he has a better chance than a UDFA.

    We are good at finding good LBs in the UDFA? Like who? Wesley Woodyard and Shaq are the only one that comes to mind. Brandon Marshall was drafted by the Jags, Danny T was drafted in the 6th, we picked up Todd Davis in FA after Saint dumped him. So that's two out of how many UDFA LBers we picked up over the years. But once again, I'm not saying to abandon those UDFA's. I'm saying Denver should at least check out Daryl and see what kind of shape he is in. It's worth the look

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •