Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Orlando Franklin Released By Chargers

Adam Schefter‏
    @AdamSchefter

Chargers released offensive lineman Orlando Franklin, per source. Chargers drafted two guards and deemed Franklin too pricey to keep.
    Bring him in to compete if its cheep...?
    Last edited by kingelway7; 05-15-2017 at 07:43 AM.
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

Compete? He starts day one. Wasn't expecting them to cut him.

I agree. Franklin starts day 1. Bring him in.

Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Compete? He starts day one. Wasn't expecting them to cut him.
    I say compete because we just signed 2 OLineman, drafted 1, and already have a handful on the roster. Personally, Id bring him in, move him back to RT and cut Stephenson.

Have an OL of - Bolles, Leary, Paradis, Garcia, Franklin
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

Orlando played Right Tackle in Denver from 2011 through 2013 and was moved to Left Guard in 2014 where he has played for San Diego the past two years. Mike McCoy and Jeff Davidson know him well. Cap space might be an issue in signing him. Regardless of position, he is a very good down blocker in an angle blocked rushing attack. At age 29, he has some games left.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

If we're truly going back to our angle blocked attack where we run power a lot then it'd be a great pickup as he's a great down blocker. Solid depth at LG with experience at the position as well.

YES!!! Please Sign him and move him to RT. Cut Stephenson. This would be great.
    New England Patriots GM

I would love Franklin back in orange and blue. He'd be an upgrade to the right side of the line, and I think it would be ideal if we could fit him at RG with Watson recently signed. Either way, he's at worst the best 6th man to an OL we could as for.

Interesting possibilities. As Sam pointed out, McCoy and Davidson have the insight into whether he fits the roster or has anything left to offer the Broncos. Money can always be worked out if there is interest to sign him.

I've always liked Franklin, both as a player and as a person. I feel better with him at RT than anyone presently on our roster.

All for it, between Over The Cap and Sportec's website we have $12M-$14M in cap space. You cut Stephenson and his $5M ($2M dead money and $3M cap saving) we could sign Franklin.

Shoot cut Green $3.3M ($500K dead money $2.8M cap savings) too and sign Gary Barnidge

I sort of do want to see him in Denver. However, he wasn't able to stay healthy last year with the knee injury and the concussion and had a very poor couple years in San Diego according to Rotoworld. There are going to be teams like Seattle or Vikings that will prob drive his price up a little too high for me

I'd much rather have Franklin than King Dunlap. I think Franklin would be a good signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    YES!!! Please Sign him and move him to RT. Cut Stephenson. This would be great.
    He hasn't played RT in years and really wasn't great at it (see his wonderful superbowl performance...) I could see bringing him in at guard, but I'm not convinced he'd start at guard.

Put me on the Franklin train. As others have said, cutting Stephenson would create enough space to cut him a deal. I only wonder how many other teams are in need of a starting guard or tackle. If a bidding war started, we have some flexibility but not a lot. I would think we have some positives, he knows the team and knows McCoy very well. What was his salary supposed to be this year?