Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynch's Chances

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    I feel Siemian has unfairly been labelled as a 'game manager' by a large portion, so early on in his career. The TD throw against the Chiefs down near the goal line didn't look very game manager-esque to me, and neither did his play in tight games during the 4th quarter. He made his fair share of plays last season.
    "Game Manager" doesn't mean "incapable of making plays every once in a while". Providing one example of a great play and an ambiguous and subjective reference does not put to bed, the argument of him being a game manager.

Until he consistently makes big plays that win us games, calling him a game manager is not "unfair".

I acknowledge I underestimated TS last year. He earned the job under difficult circumstances. Not easy following Manning and the fiasco that followed.

My calling him a game manager was not meant as an insult. Every QB at the pro level has strengths and weaknesses. The gaps are small. All have the ability to overlap and closely compete with one another. But there is usually one skill or strength that separates one from another. Just because one is a game manager does not mean they can not make the throws or off script plays. Perhaps just not as often or as effectively as another. IMO QBs like A. Smith and R. Wilson are effective game managers that have pretty good careers.

I also underestimated the struggles of Lynch making the transition to the Pros. From a psychological standpoint it had to be difficult. Raw rookie coming in as the "Manning replacement". Trying to gain cceptance by the locker room and from coaches with no patience for the mistakes of a struggling rookie. I was wrong in thinking he could just walk in and earn the job.

But this is a new year. Lynch now has now experienced the feel and expectations of the pro game. From all reports he has worked at developing his weaknesses. Becoming that critical game manager.

I have heard some rumblings reported from inside camp that Lynch has a new demeanor and grasp of the expectations. I was excited with the potential I saw when he was drafted. Now it will be interesting if his hard work on his weaknesses has improved him to where he can let his strengths shine through. I continue to think he will earn the job. I will not be surprised if it game one either. Different year, hopefully different player with a year under his belt.

I'd rate Lynch's chances of starting at the beginning of the year as low because he struggled with learning the offense last year and now has another new system and staff to learn. The big question mark about him in college was how long it would take for him to master the mental demands of the pro game. Jury's still out on that, but it sure doesn't help to be starting over with a new offense again this year. If he comes in better prepared and works his tail off, I can see him gaining the starting job at some point in the season.

TS is light years ahead mentally. He has some things to correct as well, but I was impressed with his decision making for first year starter. That said, TS wasn't the limiting factor in the offense last year - the abysmal oline play was. If the oline improves and the run game produces better along with more time for the QB, does TS take his game up a level? I tend to think TS's numbers will improve along with the oline play, but I'm not sure if that will translate into more points, or if he'll top out as a Brian Griese/KO kind of player who consistently hits the 4 yard completion on 3rd and 8. If TS isn't aggressive enough, everything I've heard about Vance suggests we'd see Lynch sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    "Game Manager" doesn't mean "incapable of making plays every once in a while". Providing one example of a great play and an ambiguous and subjective reference does not put to bed, the argument of him being a game manager.

Until he consistently makes big plays that win us games, calling him a game manager is not "unfair".

132.6 passer rating in one score or less games during the 4th quarter. Nothing subjective about that, he played pretty well late on in close games.

The reason I say it's unfair is because he's only started 14 career games. I'm simply not ready to label him a game manager just yet - the sample size is too small, and the offensive line's performance made it tougher to gauge him also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    132.6 passer rating in one score or less games during the 4th quarter. Nothing subjective about that, he played pretty well late on in close games.

The reason I say it's unfair is because he's only started 14 career games. I'm simply not ready to label him a game manager just yet - the sample size is too small, and the offensive line's performance made it tougher to gauge him also.
    Again, playing well at times does not mean you're not a game manager. However, I do agree that one season doesn't mean you're stuck with that title. But, he definitely played the role of game manager last season. So, for now it's fair. But I agree it's unfair to say that he CANT displace that title eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    I'd rate Lynch's chances of starting at the beginning of the year as low because he struggled with learning the offense last year and now has another new system and staff to learn. The big question mark about him in college was how long it would take for him to master the mental demands of the pro game. Jury's still out on that, but it sure doesn't help to be starting over with a new offense again this year. If he comes in better prepared and works his tail off, I can see him gaining the starting job at some point in the season.

TS is light years ahead mentally. He has some things to correct as well, but I was impressed with his decision making for first year starter. That said, TS wasn't the limiting factor in the offense last year - the abysmal oline play was. If the oline improves and the run game produces better along with more time for the QB, does TS take his game up a level? I tend to think TS's numbers will improve along with the oline play, but I'm not sure if that will translate into more points, or if he'll top out as a Brian Griese/KO kind of player who consistently hits the 4 yard completion on 3rd and 8. If TS isn't aggressive enough, everything I've heard about Vance suggests we'd see Lynch sooner than later.
    To be fair it's hard for a lot offenses to consistently convert third and long. Everyone says Siemian or Lynch needs to do a better job on 3rd down conversions. But I really just think we need to do a better job of putting ourselves in more manageable third down situations. Especially since the oline will likely still struggle as our young guys get more experience and the line gets accustomed to playing together. Stop with all the penalties and pick some yards up on first and second down and we will be fine regardless of the QB

Question of the Day

Is there anybody here who is completely convinced or nearly that the next QB that wins Denver a Championship is not currently on this roster?
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

Quote Originally Posted by Strip Sacked View Post
    Is there anybody here who is completely convinced or nearly that the next QB that wins Denver a Championship is not currently on this roster?
    If Denver wins a Championship this season, then the QB that wins that Championship is indeed on the current Roster.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    If Denver wins a Championship this season, then the QB that wins that Championship is indeed on the current Roster.
    That awkward moment that they make a random mid season trade after every qb on the roster gets hurt.

odds alone say that is true....

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Again, playing well at times does not mean you're not a game manager. However, I do agree that one season doesn't mean you're stuck with that title. But, he definitely played the role of game manager last season. So, for now it's fair. But I agree it's unfair to say that he CANT displace that title eventually.
    I just hope one of the QBs on the roster truly establishes their role as the starter this season. As much as I like Siemian, I feel he didn't go out and win the job, it was more to do with Sanchez flat out losing it.

Are you convinced that said QB is not currently on our roster? If so, why? We have three talented, yet unproven QBs. With the defense we have even average QB play could get us another Lombardi. After all, I doubt very few SB champions had as poor an offense as we did in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Are you convinced that said QB is not currently on our roster? If so, why? We have three talented, yet unproven QBs. With the defense we have even average QB play could get us another Lombardi. After all, I doubt very few SB champions had as poor an offense as we did in 2015.
    I mean, if we're going off of the basis of "talented, but not proven", you could argue that we have four of those. Have you seen Sloter's arm? I'm not saying he'll even make it in the league for sure. But, the arm is there for sure.

I mean, if we're going off of the basis of "talented, but not proven", you could argue that we have four of those. Have you seen Sloter's arm? I'm not saying he'll even make it in the league for sure. But, the arm is there for sure.
    I've heard nothing but good things about Sloter. I read somewhere that he would have been the last pick if Kelly hadn't fallen so far. He's a guy we could stash on the practice squad, unlike Kelly who would probably be snatched up. Elway sure seems to like big armed QBs. Hmm... I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post

From my limited insight I see things this year shaping up to be far different than last season. Last season we had a very rigid offense with little to no imagination. McCoy is a lot of things but putting together a boring offensive game plan is not one of his hallmarks. Also important to note that McCoys offense - imo is far closer to that of a college offense than the one Kubiak implements. That would likely give Lynch a leg up this season as he'd end up with less of a gap.