Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will our Edge Rush return to 2015 form?

2015 was one of the greatest years in Denver bronco history and one of the reasons for that was a unit called the Milehigh rush!

With Von Miller and Demarcus Ware dominating the opposition backed up by Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett we saw one of the greatest pass rushing tandems of all time.

Now that Demarcus Ware is retired and Shane Ray is expected to step up to the plate, how much of that super star dominance can we expect to see him achieve?

Now I understand that Demarcus ware was not 100% the guy he used to be, in fact there isnt any other pass rusher in this league outside of von Miller that can touch Ware's performance while in his prime. However how much dominance can we expect out of Shane Ray? Could we perhaps see this unit return to the 2015 edge rush form?

I'm not saying that Ray could ever be as good as Ware, but how close can we expect him to come?
    <a href=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/SjZJ24/media/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/SjZJ24/broncos%20ring%20x%203_edited-1_zpse4zwvw5r.jpg target=_blank>http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse4zwvw5r.jpg</a></a>
    Special thanks to those who have CP'ed me, I'll get ya back

Ware had long arms and that signature ability to contort and extend himself around a OT and snag a QB. Not going to replace that. Ray's more in the mold of Miller IMHO in that he's going to win with a quick first step to get the OT off balance, then either curl around deep or cut back inside. 2015 was awesome because the interior pressure forced the QB to drop back, where the edge quickly converged. Last year, the QB could step up and buy some time before the edge rush arrived. With Ware injured and the lack of interior threat, teams could safely double or triple Miller. I'd say Ray's success this year depends more on the interior push improving and run D creating long 2nd and 3rd downs than Ray vs Ware specifically. If he can develop more consistency and improve run play diagnosis, he'll be fine.

I'm not making it a Ray vs Ware issue. What I asked was can Ray have the impact that Ware had? Can he be a dominant player on the right side as such?

Hopefully with Kerr and Wolfe, we can see that inside push forcing Quarterbacks to outside, if they can collapse that pocket.

Great scenario but aside from that, what I want to know is does Ray have the tools and the skill set to have the type of impact on the right side as Demarcus Ware and Elvis Dumervil had.

No I understand both pass rushers of the past had a very long arms I think everybody knows that is one of the reasons why Dumvervil )even though undersized) was so dominant. Shane Ray has a completely different body type but can he make as much of an impact as those guys did? Does he have his own set of tools (perhaps in the Von Miller mold) to be a force on that end?

I think the outside rush was always there, but too often the qb would step up and neutralize the rush. Hopefully the big guys can collapse the pocket this year.

Walker is going to collpase the pocket so many times this year. The QB will not be able to step up. The outside guys will get to the QB more this year. It is going to be so much fun to watch our defense go. We may not be the 2015 level this year but we are going to be very very very close.

Of course we will have to see how we look in TC to konw for sure but everything is shaping up for a slaughtering of opposing QBs
    For now....
    1. Reuben Badass LB; 2. Joe Mixon RB; 3. Jake Butt TE; 3B Sid Jones DB; 4. Bucky Hoges TE; 6. Ryan Switzer WR. Trade for Sheldon Richardson.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Walker is going to collpase the pocket so many times this year. The QB will not be able to step up. The outside guys will get to the QB more this year. It is going to be so much fun to watch our defense go. We may not be the 2015 level this year but we are going to be very very very close.

Of course we will have to see how we look in TC to konw for sure but everything is shaping up for a slaughtering of opposing QBs
    Im pretty excited about these guys and forgive me for saying but I still think we need to get as nasty as possible and give Daryl Washington a shot.

I wonder why they don't at least occasionally use the formation where VM just kind of wanders the line and surprises some poor devil on the O-line.

Seemed to work.
    My adopted Bronco is Floyd "The Franchise" Little

Walker was going to be my main talking point, but you beat me to it. I don't think Ray will be as good as Ware, even last year, but with the addition of a legitimate inside push from Walker and a large body such as Peko to hold their ground, I think our pass rush will be better than last year, which is really saying something. So I don't think we'll be as good as 2015, but I don't doubt we're the consensus best this year. We have a beautiful blend of youth and age in the front seven, I see us being just as stout/strong as we are athletic and versatile.

Going to be another great year watching our defense.

For the record, i think Ray will do great, but won't entirely replace Ware, but we'll also gain some things that come with younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by ThundersCome View Post
    Walker was going to be my main talking point, but you beat me to it. I don't think Ray will be as good as Ware, even last year, but with the addition of a legitimate inside push from Walker and a large body such as Peko to hold their ground, I think our pass rush will be better than last year, which is really saying something. So I don't think we'll be as good as 2015, but I don't doubt we're the consensus best this year. We have a beautiful blend of youth and age in the front seven, I see us being just as stout/strong as we are athletic and versatile.

Going to be another great year watching our defense.
    I concur--

We have something this year we didn't have last year. A disruptive inside pass pressure which will prevent the QB from stepping up which will make Von and Shane unstoppable on the edges. We are going to have a lot of fun on defense this year.
    Walker is almost unbelievable at getting through the interior of the line and creating pressure. We really needed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    2015 was one of the greatest years in Denver bronco history and one of the reasons for that was a unit called the Milehigh rush!

With Von Miller and Demarcus Ware dominating the opposition backed up by Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett we saw one of the greatest pass rushing tandems of all time.

Now that Demarcus Ware is retired and Shane Ray is expected to step up to the plate, how much of that super star dominance can we expect to see him achieve?

Now I understand that Demarcus ware was not 100% the guy he used to be, in fact there isnt any other pass rusher in this league outside of von Miller that can touch Ware's performance while in his prime. However how much dominance can we expect out of Shane Ray? Could we perhaps see this unit return to the 2015 edge rush form?

I'm not saying that Ray could ever be as good as Ware, but how close can we expect him to come?
    Really? Not 1? JJ Watt????

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I'm not making it a Ray vs Ware issue. What I asked was can Ray have the impact that Ware had? Can he be a dominant player on the right side as such?

Hopefully with Kerr and Wolfe, we can see that inside push forcing Quarterbacks to outside, if they can collapse that pocket.

Great scenario but aside from that, what I want to know is does Ray have the tools and the skill set to have the type of impact on the right side as Demarcus Ware and Elvis Dumervil had.

No I understand both pass rushers of the past had a very long arms I think everybody knows that is one of the reasons why Dumvervil )even though undersized) was so dominant. Shane Ray has a completely different body type but can he make as much of an impact as those guys did? Does he have his own set of tools (perhaps in the Von Miller mold) to be a force on that end?
    That isn't quite accurate. DOOM actually had average, or even short, length arms for players at his position. They were just long for a guy his size. If you look at the measurables for players in this years draft....most of them have longer arms than DOOM did. DOOMs arms were 32". Reuben Foster= 32 3/8. Derek Barnett 32 1/8. Taco Charlton 34 1/4. Myles Garrett 35 1/4. Haasan reddick 32 3/4

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

This issue last year is that the pass rush had the come pretty much entirely from the linebackers at times. Only lineman that could put pressure on the QB was Wolfe. Adding walker should help. He wont entirely replace what we lost in Malik not in his rookie year but he may be able to replace the pass rush we lost with Malik maybe even provide more considering he is better pass rusher coming into the league.

I'm a believer

- Von Miller claims this will be his best year. Okay, I'll buy it. I'd say we can all agree that he's at his peak when it comes to his age and physical well-being. There's no reason to disagree that this 'should' be his best season.

- I think Shane Ray is being underestimated by some around here. I have a feeling he'll make a huge impact for us this year and completely fill the void that Ware brought in terms of productivity. (Although the leadership will be missed. I expect Ray to have a big, big year for us.

- Derek Wolfe seems to progress year after year. I have no doubt that he should be able to put up record numbers with the (hopeful) emergence of rookie DeMarcus Walker.

- I wanna see some strip-sacks.
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

These are my thoughts too, I think the addition of walker is going to bring the presence of Jackson back. Granted he has to grow mentally and get stronger physically but no question he will make the difference