Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The 6 Man O-Line

Seems like there is a trend to use a 6th man on the o-line, Chiefs and Raiders are using it, if nothing else if half our division is using it we should know how to defend against it. If it give the QB more time, or helps the running game boy we could have used this last year but I think our coaching minds weren't too quick to try anything new. It would be interesting to be able to some how come up with plan to just march down the field, or at least when we need that first down after a timeout or inside the 5 or 10 yard line. I would assume that this would signal a run play, but if they cheat and don't rush the QB that leaves room for a deep throw to Henderson or DT.

Does anyone remember when the Raiders used it against the Broncos?
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

The pats tried it in the 2016 AFCCG against Miller and he still made Tom Brady his female dog.

Here is an interesting article that is a few years old about Atlanta trying this, it seemed to work pretty good for them since!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...offensive-woes
    Denver Broncos 2015 - Win AFC West Division: , Win AFC Conference: , Beat SB 49 Champs (2X): , Win SB 50:

I'm a fan of it. I'm surprised more people don't use it. For one, our O line was horrible last year so they could use the help. But honestly, if you want to set the tone, add more beef. Not saying it should be base offense, but when you want to establish the run and not be shy about, add that extra o lineman. Especially with the WR duo we have. Most teams would try to counter the extra lineman in some way or take a DB off the field. That should open something up for on of the WRs.

One way to accomplish a similar effect using five O-Linemen is unbalanced tandem tackle over. We might even see that a little this year because McCoy used it in 2011.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I would just like to see the OC come up with something that may catch a defense a little off guard and possibly execution something new that produces a fair rate of success. It may not be successful against all teams, but against the right team it may make a difference if used wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    I'm a fan of it. I'm surprised more people don't use it. For one, our O line was horrible last year so they could use the help. But honestly, if you want to set the tone, add more beef. Not saying it should be base offense, but when you want to establish the run and not be shy about, add that extra o lineman. Especially with the WR duo we have. Most teams would try to counter the extra lineman in some way or take a DB off the field. That should open something up for on of the WRs.
    Sure we had issues on the edges but we also had a lot of penetration, often with delayed blitzes or stunts, or just a miscommunication in blocking assignments. A 6th blocker on the line can help seal the edge but can't fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    One way to accomplish a similar effect using five O-Linemen is unbalanced tandem tackle over. We might even see that a little this year because McCoy used it in 2011.
    Didn't we use an unbalanced line with Manning at times. I think I remember at least one either it was unbalanced and/or he received the snap from the guard.

The only problem I have with this logic is the Broncos need to have 6 capable Olinemen. I'm not sure they even have 4 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Didn't we use an unbalanced line with Manning at times. I think I remember at least one either it was unbalanced and/or he received the snap from the guard.
    That may be. If one of the Guards has snapped in practice, that would be a way to unbalance the line. It causes problems for the alignment of the defensive front.

The original Single Wing was unbalanced. There was a Guard and an End to the left of the Center, and four on LOS to his right producing a long and short side of the formation.

If you can, go back and look at the game at Oakland in 2011. Willis McGahee scored about a 60 yard TD run from tandem tackle over. Clady lined up on the right next to Orlando Franklin and the End on the left may have been Daniel Fells, or it could have been Chris Clark since they both played short side End that year.

Unbalanced can be run from under center or from gun with one or two back personnel packages. It isn't used that often and defenses usually need to make adjustments to defend the plays that can be run from it. When defenses make adjustments, those can be attacked.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I am hoping our TE situation improves and we do not need to consider this

Anything it takes to get the ol working tho is bottom line
    All that is required for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

I've read that Stephenson has the starting LT position initially and that Bolles will have to earn it if he can. If Stephenson plays well, I would love to see Bolles used in a 6 man o-line and either lead the way for Isaiah CJ, McKenzie or Charles. I think Bolles is ready to prove himself and is looking forward to pancaking someone and if you give him a running start, OMG! Look out!!

Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    Seems like there is a trend to use a 6th man on the o-line, Chiefs and Raiders are using it, if nothing else if half our division is using it we should know how to defend against it. If it give the QB more time, or helps the running game boy we could have used this last year but I think our coaching minds weren't too quick to try anything new. It would be interesting to be able to some how come up with plan to just march down the field, or at least when we need that first down after a timeout or inside the 5 or 10 yard line. I would assume that this would signal a run play, but if they cheat and don't rush the QB that leaves room for a deep throw to Henderson or DT.

Its amazing what changes Von Miller will cause for other teams The Doltz should be using it but then there is a reason they are the Doltz.

To your point. I would prefer not to have to use it and keep another weapon on the field instead. But as a previous poster said, first priority is to do whatever possible to fix the Oline so if that is what it takes so be it.

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post

Denver did attempt some 6 man lines in 2015, and I thought they tried a little bit last year as well. But in 2016 the Broncos didn't have 5 good players they could throw out together, so adding a 6th lineman would have just brought another poor blocker onto the field.
    "I never lose, I either win or I learn."

I remember the team using Sambrailo as an in-line TE last season to create a "6-man OL". They just did not use it much.

What happened against the Raiders was very disappointing because they kept running the same play over and over and Wade did not adjust. If I'm not mistaken, a player from the Raiders said they ran the same play more than 10 times.

Overall, I believe teams just avoided Wolfe's side and went after the gap between Sly and Crick or the gap between Crick and Ray, which was the right side of the defense, where Todd Davis was playing ILB.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607