Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Have you checked out any of the stories linked from the main website? Based on what many are saying, we'll be 4th in the division and have zero shot to sniff the playoffs. I got depressed reading it all.

I know we usually get little love but that was downright sad.

Every year SD is gonna break out and they never do. I know Rivers is a good QB and they've dealt with injuries but in all honesty, what has he done in his career? For reals? Not a lot.

I do not think Alex Smith will ever get them over the hump. Oakland is the biggest threat and I hope Musgrave can work his magic with our QBs.

Our LT and run game is our biggest issues still. Have we addressed it? Not sure. Did we fix our run stop game? I hope so. I believe we majorally upgraded our special teams, which should help.

I'm praying that missing the playoffs hurt and makes them play inspired, pissed off football.
    I think we read the same articles this morning.

Then I remember they were written by experts and analysts and a motley assortment of has been or never been and still ain't. The glass is half full and fixin' to fill up.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post

Then I remember they were written by experts and analysts and a motley assortment of has been or never been and still ain't. The glass is half full and fixin' to fill up.
    They were pretty bad. So thanks for the reminder Taos.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

"I think we are contending for the Super Bowl this year"

I think we are contending for an AFC West title this year. Let's start there and work our way up!
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    "I think we are contending for the Super Bowl this year"

I think we are contending for an AFC West title this year. Let's start there and work our way up!
    If we are able to win the afc west this year, I believe it makes us contenders for the afc.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Super Bowl is out of range this season. This team might not even get in the playoffs because of the division and the schedule. I see 2017 as a rebuilding year with the offense adjusting to a new system and the main goal is to decide the QB situation. This QB controversy needs to end. It not only divides the fanbase, which is not a big deal, but it can also divide the locker room. The QB competition - a necessary evil due to current circumstances - is bad for the team preparation overall.

Whoever wins the competition at QB won't be as prepared as he should because he had to share 50% of the 1st-team reps. Also, the coaches probably won't be able to work on the running game as much as they would like because they will have to let the QBs air it out in camp and preseason to make a decision. That was probably one of the issues that hurt the o-line and the RBs last offseason. So, if this upcoming season can at least put an end to this QB controversy and provide a clear starter for the 2018 offseason and beyond, we may see real improvement in the near future.

Both QBs will probably play this season and I see a valid point in the theory that the loser of this competition might have the last laugh down the road. The schedule is really tough and it's a new system that puts a lot on the QB's plate in terms of protection and audibles. There is a strong possibility that the QB will struggle early in the season and be replaced, so the QB coming from the bench will have a shot to learn from the other guy's mistakes, provide a spark and finish the season as the starter.

In my opinion, it will be easier to bench Siemian and let Lynch finish the season as the starter than bench Lynch during the season. If Vance Joseph benches Lynch at some point to put Siemian on the field, it's going to be a nightmare with the media constantly saying Lynch is a bust and a wasted pick.

Don't forget about the o-line. After the 2015 season, we thought it would get better because it could not get any worse. Welp. It got worse. I can't tell if this o-line was really fixed. Leary is a good player, but he is only 20% of the solution. Paradis had two hip surgeries. Watson can't stay healthy and is not that good anyway. The RG spot does not have a worthy candidate unless McGovern steps up. Bolles is a risky bet, a wild leap of faith and the other options at LT are depressing.

Besides the offense having to learn a new system and having to deal with this QB competition and the o-line struggles, another issue that might show up during the season is the defense struggling again against the run. I don't see where the improvement in run defense was made on paper. It's the same group of ILBs and Peko and Kerr were not exactly quality players for their previous teams. Adding a bunch of big linemen just to have size on the line won't be the answer if they don't play with leverage and don't use their hands to disengage.

Maybe Kerr or Gotsis will surprise and take the next step, but I would not count on it. The most realistic expectation for a better run defense is some adjustments in the scheme, like Joe Woods using less formations with only 2 d-linemen (something that Wade used last season and made no sense to me, especially against that Raiders o-line) or bringing more help to the weak side to compensate the lack of talent opposite Derek Wolfe.

This team has a strong secondary and a good pass rush. After that, it's a pile of problems and question marks with the QBs competing and learning a new system before facing a tough schedule and the best division in the league. That's why I think we should pump the brakes on this Super Bowl talk.
    Great post Rod. I think the "Superbowl bound" posts tend to be hyperbolic in terms of a realistic outlook on our team. Huge question marks at everywhere but WR, Corner, and pass rush. Our offensive line may be better, but our LT's best option is Bolles, who is a rookie. Our defensive interior is what I have really little faith in. Peko and Kerr are...big and that's almost it. And I did notice they held onto Todd Davis, which for whatever reason the FO absolutely adores.

I do have a differing opinion however in that if Lynch does not start this season, the media will be calling him a bust regardless. I hope the FO does not make a decision on starter based on this, but truly give a fair competition for both QBs and end the competition once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I do have a differing opinion however in that if Lynch does not start this season, the media will be calling him a bust regardless. I hope the FO does not make a decision on starter based on this, but truly give a fair competition for both QBs and end the competition once and for all.
    I can't see Lynch not starting this season. He may not be the week 1 stater, but he will probably replace Siemian at some point because of performance, injury or even to "give a spark" if the team is losing too many games.

The best case scenario is Lynch earning the starting job (he has to earn it, it can't be just given to him), playing well enough to keep the job and enter the 2018 offseason as the clear starter. That would end the controversy once and for all. The 1st-round pick takes over as the franchise QB. Siemian, the 7th-round pick, would become a quality backup for the duration of his rookie contract.

If Siemian finishes this season as the starter again, there will probably be another QB competition in 2018 because Lynch was a 1st-round pick. I don't think Elway will give up on his 1st-round QB after two seasons.

Siemian would have to play at a very high level and stay healthy to make the Broncos consider moving on from Paxton Lynch. Considering the growing pains in the new system, the tough schedule and Siemian's injury history, we should count on Lynch playing at some point.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I can't see Lynch not starting this season. He may not be the week 1 stater, but he will probably replace Siemian at some point because of performance, injury or even to "give a spark" if the team is losing too many games.

The best case scenario is Lynch earning the starting job (he has to earn it, it can't be just given to him), playing well enough to keep the job and enter the 2018 offseason as the clear starter. That would end the controversy once and for all. The 1st-round pick takes over as the franchise QB. Siemian, the 7th-round pick, would become a quality backup for the duration of his rookie contract.

If Siemian finishes this season as the starter again, there will probably be another QB competition in 2018 because Lynch was a 1st-round pick. I don't think Elway will give up on his 1st-round QB after two seasons.

Siemian would have to play at a very high level and stay healthy to make the Broncos consider moving on from Paxton Lynch. Considering the growing pains in the new system, the tough schedule and Siemian's injury history, we should count on Lynch playing at some point.
    We'll have to see. Siemian does have an extensive injury history but Lynch's play was pretty far behind him if you look at last season. I don't think its fair to Siemian if he wins the QB competition back to back to make him do it again three years in a row, because that's essentially saying that the FO is claiming an open competition until Lynch wins it. And if that's really the implication, then they shouldn't even bother with a competition and just name Lynch the starter if being drafted in the first round and being right is that important. And the same applies for Lynch, I wouldn't expect any competition to continue next off-season if he wins this year. If Siemian is better than Lynch as of now then I sincerely hope the FO doesn't let draft status affect their decision. After this year whoever is named starter should remain so for the sake of having the chance to develop.

Again its possible one takes over for the other in the event of injury and the starter never regains their starting role the rest of the season as well. That's the biggest factor with Siemian imo and the best chance for Lynch to come in and take the starter position.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 05-29-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post

There is an article out, where it talks of "Six NFL franchises that peaked and are heading downhill "
    -
    They talking Pittsburgh without Ben, Saints without Breeze, Cardinals without Fitzgerald.. etc..
    saying all these teams are going DOWN. Heading for Dumpster Fire Zone. Not saying just this year..
    but saying the future..the direction of the team, like where these teams are headed for many seasons to come.
    -
    I'm reading.. and I'm thinking,
    "Hey, Broncos wont be in here, we got all new high caliber offensive coaching staff, kept the Defense coach we wanted, new O-line, improved on so many positions on both sides of the ball, and even got a 1st round talent TE , "Butt" just gotta wait for his injury to heal."
    -
    Nope. There they are, among the 6.. destined to decline and sink into oblivion, past their prime. Peaked and heading south.
    -
    -

Denver Broncos

It really doesnít matter how good Denverís defense is if the team doesnít find a way to solve its problems on the other side of the ball. Even after both Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch struggled under center last season, the Broncos did very little to address the quarterback situation. This has put new head coach Vance Joseph in an unenviable position of having to hold an open competition for the starting gig during the summer. These two combined for 20 touchdowns and 11 interceptions while leading an offense that ranked in the bottom 11 in points scored.

Neither quarterback was aided by much help on the ground. C.J. Anderson dealt with more injuries and played in a total of seven games. Meanwhile, rookie Devontae Booker failed to do much of substance in his stead. This led to a Broncos rushing attack that ranked 27th in the NFL.

Attempting to fix these issues, Denver signed former Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles in free agency. The issue here is that Charles has played in a grand total of eight games over the past two seasons after dealing with the second torn ACL of his career. With no guaranteed money on Charlesí deal, thereís a chance he might not even earn a spot on the 53-man roster.

When we factor in Demaryius Thomasí consistent struggles in seasons that Peyton Manning isnít tossing him the rock, there has to be major concerns on offense for Denver heading into the 2017 season. Thomas himself is averaging just 639 yards in the three seasons that Manning has not been Denverís full-time starter. Itís now at the point where his new head coach is calling the receiver out publicly.

We absolutely love what Denver has on defense. Von Miller remains one of the best all-around players in football. Young EDGE rusher Shane Ray looks ready to step up following the retirement of DeMarcus Ware. And the teamís secondary ó led by Aqib Talib and Chris Harris ó remains one of the best in the game.

But with Oakland going nowhere but up and the Chiefs coming off yet another stellar season, it looks like the Broncos are not even legitimate playoff contenders right now. Depending on how the Los Angeles Chargers perform, we could really be looking at a bottom feeder in Denver this upcoming season.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

I figure no matter what happens this season...
    8, 9 or 10 wins....
    Broncos are gonna be a force to be reckoned with over the long haul...
    especially once we figure out the QB spot.
    -
    Those national guys just love to slam Colorado.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
    I figure no matter what happens this season...
    8, 9 or 10 wins....
    Broncos are gonna be a force to be reckoned with over the long haul...
    especially once we figure out the QB spot.
    -
    Those national guys just love to slam Colorado.
    Once my man Mad Chad Kelly loses his beer gut and hits the field. This team will be juggling Lombardi's for a decade..

There is an article out, where it talks of "Six NFL franchises that peaked and are heading downhill "
    -
    They talking Pittsburgh without Ben, Saints without Breeze, Cardinals without Fitzgerald.. etc..
    saying all these teams are going DOWN. Heading for Dumpster Fire Zone. Not saying just this year..
    but saying the future..the direction of the team, like where these teams are headed for many seasons to come.
    -
    "Hey, Broncos wont be in here, we got all new high caliber offensive coaching staff, kept the Defense coach we wanted, new O-line, improved on so many positions on both sides of the ball, and even got a 1st round talent TE , "Butt" just gotta wait for his injury to heal."
    -
    Nope. There they are, among the 6.. destined to decline and sink into oblivion, past their prime. Peaked and heading south.
    -
    -

Denver Broncos

It really doesnít matter how good Denverís defense is if the team doesnít find a way to solve its problems on the other side of the ball. Even after both Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch struggled under center last season, the Broncos did very little to address the quarterback situation. This has put new head coach Vance Joseph in an unenviable position of having to hold an open competition for the starting gig during the summer. These two combined for 20 touchdowns and 11 interceptions while leading an offense that ranked in the bottom 11 in points scored.

Neither quarterback was aided by much help on the ground. C.J. Anderson dealt with more injuries and played in a total of seven games. Meanwhile, rookie Devontae Booker failed to do much of substance in his stead. This led to a Broncos rushing attack that ranked 27th in the NFL.

Attempting to fix these issues, Denver signed former Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles in free agency. The issue here is that Charles has played in a grand total of eight games over the past two seasons after dealing with the second torn ACL of his career. With no guaranteed money on Charlesí deal, thereís a chance he might not even earn a spot on the 53-man roster.

When we factor in Demaryius Thomasí consistent struggles in seasons that Peyton Manning isnít tossing him the rock, there has to be major concerns on offense for Denver heading into the 2017 season. Thomas himself is averaging just 639 yards in the three seasons that Manning has not been Denverís full-time starter. Itís now at the point where his new head coach is calling the receiver out publicly.

We absolutely love what Denver has on defense. Von Miller remains one of the best all-around players in football. Young EDGE rusher Shane Ray looks ready to step up following the retirement of DeMarcus Ware. And the teamís secondary ó led by Aqib Talib and Chris Harris ó remains one of the best in the game.

But with Oakland going nowhere but up and the Chiefs coming off yet another stellar season, it looks like the Broncos are not even legitimate playoff contenders right now. Depending on how the Los Angeles Chargers perform, we could really be looking at a bottom feeder in Denver this upcoming season.
    Yikes. I just love the optimism.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -

Denver Broncos

Well good line play equals good football so we'll see.....

I don't think its fair to Siemian if he wins the QB competition back to back to make him do it again three years in a row, because that's essentially saying that the FO is claiming an open competition until Lynch wins it.
    I think that's exactly the goal. Use this competition to push Lynch until he wins the job. It would take a lot for the Broncos to give up on a 1st-round QB. It would have to be something like Lynch struggling for a long time to the point of having his 5th-year option declined, or Siemian becoming one of those QBs that throw for 4,000+ yards and 30+ touchdowns. If there is any margin for controversy, the 1st-round pick will keep getting another shot.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

I think that's exactly the goal. Use this competition to push Lynch until he wins the job. It would take a lot for the Broncos to give up on a 1st-round QB. It would have to be something like Lynch struggling for a long time to the point of having his 5th-year option declined, or Siemian becoming one of those QBs that throw for 4,000+ yards and 30+ touchdowns. If there is any margin for controversy, the 1st-round pick will keep getting another shot.
    I don't agree with this at all. That's allowing draft status to affect personnel choices regardless of competence. If Lynch wins the job fairly, then that's great, because that means he has shown improvement and gives this team a real shot. But if the plan is to continually split reps and hurt the starting QB's chances to develop just to give your first rounder a shot, then that is serious prejudice and not in the team's best interest. If Trevor Siemian wins the job again he'll be so far ahead of Lynch in terms of development and NFL experience that unless he shows a ceiling the best move would be to end the controversy and support the better QB. Look at it objectively: If Trevor wins again (and that's a big if), then he'll have beaten Lynch in two different systems in the eyes of two different head coaches. If Lynch is yet again unable to unseat Siemian in a system that favors his Lynch's skill set more than the previous one, then I think it's pretty clear.

Otherwise why even bother with a competition? If you don't believe Trevor to be the guy, just start Lynch and let him develop now, that would be far more beneficial than splitting the reps and not committing to either QB.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 05-30-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I don't agree with this at all. That's allowing draft status to affect personnel choices regardless of competence. If Lynch wins the job fairly, then that's great, because that means he has shown improvement and gives this team a real shot. But if the plan is to continually split reps and hurt the starting QB's chances to develop just to give your first rounder a shot, then that is serious prejudice and not in the team's best interest. If Trevor Siemian wins the job again he'll be so far ahead of Lynch in terms of development and NFL experience that unless he shows a ceiling the best move would be to end the controversy and support the better QB. Look at it objectively: If Trevor wins again (and that's a big if), then he'll have beaten Lynch in two different systems in the eyes of two different head coaches. If Lynch is yet again unable to unseat Siemian in a system that favors his Lynch's skill set more than the previous one, then I think it's pretty clear.

Otherwise why even bother with a competition? If you don't believe Trevor to be the guy, just start Lynch and let him develop now, that would be far more beneficial than splitting the reps and not committing to either QB.
    There is going to be a QB controversy and competition every year until a true franchise QB establishes himself no matter who wins the job this year.