Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    "Timid"? Where the definiton of "timid" is "lacking courage or confidence, easily frightened".

I don't know which "presser" you are referring to, but the interviews I've seen didn't indicate anything of the sort.
    Yeah you are right... I don't think I have ever seen Gotsis speak...

Who I meant to refer to was Crick, as in this interview... maybe he's just a shy guy

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...2-fc681b8a97d9

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    My question is does all the moving and shuffling really do anything except let you know that you need better OL'men? Now I could be wrong, but 4 out of the 5 OL spots are in constant shuffle. What does this do for cohesion? If you keep bouncing guys from left to right, from guard to tackle, what does that do to their footwork or hand work? How can guys learn their position if every other day they're in a different spot?

It's OTA's. It's more important for the position coaches to see how the players react than it is for the players to learn positions. The coaches will be taking their impressions (and film) with them into the rest of the off season.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    My question is does all the moving and shuffling really do anything except let you know that you need better OL'men? Now I could be wrong, but 4 out of the 5 OL spots are in constant shuffle. What does this do for cohesion? If you keep bouncing guys from left to right, from guard to tackle, what does that do to their footwork or hand work? How can guys learn their position if every other day they're in a different spot?
    There's not much that can be done during Spring OTAs and mini-camps to identify the five because the CBA forbids contact. I don't even know if you could run a sumo circle legally. Sounds like the Broncos are pushing the envelope regards to the no-contact rule. They need to be careful because there are consequences for violation.

Spring practices are for installation. O-linemen are funny in the sense that a guy can suck at one spot on one side and excel at the same spot on the other side. An interior O-Lineman is usually far better at one spot than the other two. Guys who can effectively play four or five of the O-Line positions are very valuable.

There's only one way to find out, and that is by shuffling. All O-Line coaches do it, and this is the time to begin while the new offense is being installed. It will continue into TC and several starting combinations will be tried even in preseason games. In the end the best five will start shuffled to their best spots. If one of them can't go, number six will come in and they will reshuffle, if necessary.

Which spot on which side is one consideration. Another is chemistry; who is he next to or between? Going from predominantly one style of run blocking to another is also a major factor. Angle blocked run plays set up the use of influence which can be as big a monkey wrench for a defensive front as Zone Stretch Cutback or Boot.

How good the position coaches are and how well they connect with their players is another important factor in O-Line unit success. Denver has two of them and we'll see how well they all work together, players and coaches.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

[QUOTE=samparnell;5584544]There's not much that can be done during Spring OTAs and mini

This is very insightful Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    It's OTA's. It's more important for the position coaches to see how the players react than it is for the players to learn positions. The coaches will be taking their impressions (and film) with them into the rest of the off season.
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    There's not much that can be done during Spring OTAs and mini-camps to identify the five because the CBA forbids contact. I don't even know if you could run a sumo circle legally. Sounds like the Broncos are pushing the envelope regards to the no-contact rule. They need to be careful because there are consequences for violation.

Spring practices are for installation. O-linemen are funny in the sense that a guy can suck at one spot on one side and excel at the same spot on the other side. An interior O-Lineman is usually far better at one spot than the other two. Guys who can effectively play four or five of the O-Line positions are very valuable.

There's only one way to find out, and that is by shuffling. All O-Line coaches do it, and this is the time to begin while the new offense is being installed. It will continue into TC and several starting combinations will be tried even in preseason games. In the end the best five will start shuffled to their best spots. If one of them can't go, number six will come in and they will reshuffle, if necessary.

Which spot on which side is one consideration. Another is chemistry; who is he next to or between? Going from predominantly one style of run blocking to another is also a major factor. Angle blocked run plays set up the use of influence which can be as big a monkey wrench for a defensive front as Zone Stretch Cutback or Boot.

How good the position coaches are and how well they connect with their players is another important factor in O-Line unit success. Denver has two of them and we'll see how well they all work together, players and coaches.
    Great, Thanks! I didn't look at it that way. I can understand it in that regard.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post

Not too long ago Bronco fans got to see a guy that went from the RG back up spot to starting Center because of injuries and in his first year actually showed some decent skill. Manny Ramirez in 2013 was that guy. 2014 he regressed quite a bit and then of course was traded but still that one year the position switch did wonders for him.

Quote Originally Posted by cdumler7 View Post
    Not too long ago Bronco fans got to see a guy that went from the RG back up spot to starting Center because of injuries and in his first year actually showed some decent skill. Manny Ramirez in 2013 was that guy. 2014 he regressed quite a bit and then of course was traded but still that one year the position switch did wonders for him.
    I agree it did do wonders for Mandan but in this case we just brought in a pro bowl quality guard who's earned those accolades at the LG position. By moving him to RG you do need to question if the potential upgrade by moving "the other guy" Is worth the likely downgrade in play by the vet your asking to move spots...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I agree it did do wonders for Mandan but in this case we just brought in a pro bowl quality guard who's earned those accolades at the LG position. By moving him to RG you do need to question if the potential upgrade by moving "the other guy" Is worth the likely downgrade in play by the vet your asking to move spots...
    Maybe he's more versatile than you're giving him credit for. He isn't a stranger to the RG position. He has played there in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Maybe he's more versatile than you're giving him credit for. He isn't a stranger to the RG position. He has played there in the past.
    In an angle blocked rushing attack, all O-Linemen need to be effective down blockers. Usually the Left Guard needs to be a better puller than the Right Guard because he pulls more and sometimes farther. The right side of the O-Line needs to consistently deliver authoritative down blocks. Maybe they are checking to see if Leary and Watson could do that thinking that Garcia could be an effective puller.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Absolutely he may well be that versatile...nut my point was that usually when a guy finds "his spot" more often than not they play best there. Even when they turn out to be excellent at their new position on the line there are often growing pains of sorts...as much as it pains me to say it one such example was the snap in the SB vs Seattle. I'd hazard to guess an OC like J.Saturday would not have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Absolutely he may well be that versatile...nut my point was that usually when a guy finds "his spot" more often than not they play best there. Even when they turn out to be excellent at their new position on the line there are often growing pains of sorts...as much as it pains me to say it one such example was the snap in the SB vs Seattle. I'd hazard to guess an OC like J.Saturday would not have done that.
    That snap was on Peyton Manning. It was silent count. The Center looks back and when the QB moves his leg, it's one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, one-thousand three, snap. Peyton walked to the LOS from gun depth and the ball went where he should have been. When the ball was snapped, the O-Line took zone steps to the right, so a run/PAP was called.