Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Will Von Miller ultimately cost Denver our Franchise Quarterback?

Just a thought that's been weighing heavy on my mind. The Carr extension really made me want to start a conversation on this.

Von Miller will be taking up over 20 Million over the next four years. (Assuming he makes all incentives/bonus's)

2017: $20,400,000
    2018: $22,400,000
    2019: $$20,900,000
    2020: $21,400,000
    2021: $18,000,000

In Three of the next four years, DT will be making over 12 Million. (Assuming he makes all incentives/bonus's)

2017: $12,033,333
    2018: $12,033,333
    2019: $17,533,333

One would likely assume that he'll end the team in a cut or trade at some point for 2019. Opposed to Von very likely having no chance at all of being cut or traded. Not to mention Sanders will also be making over 10 million starting next season.

This team lives or dies by it's defense. And I can only imagine that Elway will keep spending on his secondary and hoping and praying with straw grabs on the d-line around Von.

Trevor Siemian's contract is up in 2019 to Paxton Lynch's in 2021, Is it possible that our carousel of Quarterbacks may last for the next 5-6 years?
    Very Special Thank-You to Freyaka for such an extraordinary Sig!!!..... Formerly known as IAMRED

Quote Originally Posted by Strip Sacked View Post
    Just a thought that's been weighing heavy on my mind. The Carr extension really made me want to start a conversation on this.

Von Miller will be taking up over 20 Million over the next four years. (Assuming he makes all incentives/bonus's)

2017: $20,400,000
    2018: $22,400,000
    2019: $$20,900,000
    2020: $21,400,000
    2021: $18,000,000

In Three of the next four years, DT will be making over 12 Million. (Assuming he makes all incentives/bonus's)

2017: $12,033,333
    2018: $12,033,333
    2019: $17,533,333

One would likely assume that he'll end the team in a cut or trade at some point for 2019. Opposed to Von very likely having no chance at all of being cut or traded. Not to mention Sanders will also be making over 10 million starting next season.

This team lives or dies by it's defense. And I can only imagine that Elway will keep spending on his secondary and hoping and praying with straw grabs on the d-line around Von.

Trevor Siemian's contract is up in 2019 to Paxton Lynch's in 2021, Is it possible that our carousel of Quarterbacks may last for the next 5-6 years?
    no way to tell how well those players will be playing in the future and the salary cap is going up about $10M every year recently. Not worried about it.

CP bet with NVthosebroncos that Forrest Lamp will be a solid day 1 starter, barring injury

This guy?

This guy is great and he's cost a lot of teams their quarter back.

Von is in the Derrick Thomas and Lawrence Taylor mold. He's a once in a lifetime type of player and worth every penny.

Unless your name is in the company of Peyton Manning and Joe Montana, I don't see any reason to over pay at QB.

Especially now with the Derek Carr deal It's disturbing when you think about the money Kirk Cousins is about to receive.

You have to find a franchise QB for Von Miller to cost us one. As of yet we don't have a proven franchise QB. We have a lot of QB's who still have to prove they have what it takes, until one of them does I think this is premature to begin worrying about.

Besides, I'd take Von any day of the week.

Von is a proven player, like others have said you can't know until the situation arises. Von has been instrumental in giving us a SB win, moreso than any other QB in the last 20 years. You pay that guy instead of someone who may or may not get you a SB win

Von Miller is a NFL MVP-caliber player. He deserves every dollar offered. If anything, he's at a status that would entice franchise QBs to want to play with him on the Broncos. Yes, he's that good.

A very qb friendly system can make guys like Matt Cassell look like franchise qbs, but no defensive system can turn an average linebacker into a Von Miller type of player.

As others have stated here in order for a player getting paid "mega" dollars to "cost" us another player we need to have the player on our roster who is proven to be "That" player. I also have a hard time believing that an average franchise QB is worth anywhere near 25 Mil at the moment. I also think that Carr has gotten quite lucky. The Raiders have taken a tremendous risk right now. Carr has played only 2 seasons and while he has looked good in both he still needs to show that he can throw the team on his back and win BECAUSE of him. This is what differentiates the QB's like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben R & A. Rodgers from say QB's like Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Andy Dalton etc. Carr is being paid like the former QB's but has really only showed thus far that he is in the second group who are obviously solid franchise QB's.

I think the Raiders are winning because of Carr and almost solely because of him. The Raiders would have been a real SB contender if he would not have gone down. They would have, at the very least, easily gotten by the Texans if Carr was still healthy.

I'm not sure he is worth 25 mil, but he is definitely a top 5-10 QB and someone you can build around. Raiders scored a slam-dunk with him.
    Mark my words, Trevor Siemian will be much improved after this offseason and will remain the Broncos QB1 in 2017. - Dec '16

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    As others have stated here in order for a player getting paid "mega" dollars to "cost" us another player we need to have the player on our roster who is proven to be "That" player. I also have a hard time believing that an average franchise QB is worth anywhere near 25 Mil at the moment. I also think that Carr has gotten quite lucky. The Raiders have taken a tremendous risk right now. Carr has played only 2 seasons and while he has looked good in both he still needs to show that he can throw the team on his back and win BECAUSE of him. This is what differentiates the QB's like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben R & A. Rodgers from say QB's like Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Andy Dalton etc. Carr is being paid like the former QB's but has really only showed thus far that he is in the second group who are obviously solid franchise QB's.
    Living near Seattle and seeing most Seahawk games I'd put Russell Wilson in the first group. I've seen several games since 2013 where he put the team on his back with his attitude, scrambling and running ability saving the Seahawks from a sure loss. Of course, he's no Elway in that regard but has the same never-say-die-do-whatever-it-takes intangible that I admire. Other than that I think your points are spot on especially about Derek Carr. I honestly think the raiders want him to be THE MAN so badly, they were willing to put the cart before the horse. His huge payday is very premature and the raiders would have been wise to wait at least another season before annointing him the next Ken Stabler
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

I don't think so, Khalil Mack didn't stop OAK from getting their QB
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

With a guy like Von Miller you sign him up long term and then worry about finding other talent. Including at the QB position.
    ~In Partibus Infidelium~

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Mack hasn't been paid yet. But, I don't agree with OP's point that he might cost us a franchise qb. Let's find one first though.

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Mack doesn't have Miller's contract. In fact, it's very possible that because Carr got signed, Mack will not be able to be signed.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Mack hasn't been paid yet. But, I don't agree with OP's point that he might cost us a franchise qb. Let's find one first though.
    Right. Rookie wage scale.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus