Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,631
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBrady12 View Post
    3...2...1 before sam Z turns this into a thread against malcolm butler and ty law.
    As far as I can see, you are the only idiot trying to make this about the patriots, because everything is about the patriots, even when it isn't about the patriots because patriots are life for you...That and obsessing over the Broncos.


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,631
    There were several complete head scratchers on his CB list...

    Josh Norman? Really? Seriously? Anyone who thinks Josh Norman is better than Chris Harris must be sniffing glue...

    Don't even get me started on Butler...I'm sorry, in no way, shape or form can you call a player only in the league for 3 years one of the top 20 of all time. Tammy, this isn't a slam on Butler, this isn't me engaging in patriot smack talk, this is just realistically speaking. He may deserve to be on that list one day (I think Ty Law does) 3 years in the league? Come on man...

    Champ IMO deserves to be top 5, that said, it's hard to argue with anyone in the top 5, they are all great players. He at minimum deserves to be above Richard Sherman...


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    7,695
    Quote Originally Posted by qbronco View Post
    Glad to see Dennis Smith on the list. He was a very unappreciated player thanks to Ronnie Lott getting all the publicity. I think Smith and Atwater were the best Safety tandem of that era.
    Who would you say are the best safety tandems of all time?

    The reason I ask is because it's somewhat of a struggle to find very many. There was Troy Polomalu and Mike Mitchell and of course today Cam Chancellor and Earl Thomas who are dam good but like I said it's a struggle to find very many iconic duo's at the position.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 07-10-2017 at 08:57 PM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,994
    If there was any doubt before, we now have definitive proof that Gil Brandt suffers from football retardation.

    Here is a list of his greatest 27 running backs of all time.
    http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815786

    Take a look at #26.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edge of Orange
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Who would you say are the best safety tandems of all time?

    The reason I ask is because it's somewhat of a struggle to find very many. There was Troy Polomalu and Mike Mitchell and of course today Cam Chancellor and Earl Thomas who are dam good but like I said it's a struggle to find very many iconic duo's at the position.
    Without trying to go full-out homer, I think Smith-Atwater could arguably be the best Safety Tandem ever. Chancellor-Thomas are a formidable pair, and one could reasonably argue their merits.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Larned, Kansas
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    If there was any doubt before, we now have definitive proof that Gil Brandt suffers from football retardation.

    Here is a list of his greatest 27 running backs of all time.
    http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815786

    Take a look at #26.
    Tomlinson listed below Dickerson, Sanders, Campbell and Emmitt Smith??? WOW!!!!!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Smolan, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    22,631
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    If there was any doubt before, we now have definitive proof that Gil Brandt suffers from football retardation.

    Here is a list of his greatest 27 running backs of all time.
    http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815786

    Take a look at #26.
    What the.....My head hurts from seeing that...

    And even if I'm willing to overlook a player with ONE YEAR IN THE LEAGUE being called one of the best of all time AFTER ONE YEAR!

    TD at 19, Emmitt Smith at 10 and Barry Sanders at 8?!? Seriously? Smith and Sanders are easily top 5 period. I can respect who he does have in the top 5, but come on...That's too far back for two of the greatest backs of all time.

    And you are going to put Gale Sayers in 4th, but TD in 19th? Not that I think either deserves top 5, but both had shortened careers which is the knock against them, but TD's shorted career was twice as prolific as Sayers. TD was the greatest post season RB of ALL TIME and he's 19th while Sayers is 4th? I'm confused...

    If it were me, I'd put Brown, Sanders and Smith 1,2,3 and I'm not sure what order. Everything back from there is up for debate.


  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    2,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Who would you say are the best safety tandems of all time?

    The reason I ask is because it's somewhat of a struggle to find very many. There was Troy Polomalu and Mike Mitchell and of course today Cam Chancellor and Earl Thomas who are dam good but like I said it's a struggle to find very many iconic duo's at the position.
    To me the greatest duo will always be Atwater-Smith. While Chancellor-Thomas are awesome when both are healthy, I believe the 2nd best ever was the very 1st safety pair known for 'putting the fear of God' into receivers. The '71 to '77 Raiders duo of Jack Tatum & George Atkinson. Most of us probably know the whole awful Tatum-Darryl Stingley pre-season hit paralysis story, but a couple other things stand out for me that cemented their reputation as fearsome.

    I was a Vikings fan as a kid, and Tatum's '76 Super Bowl hit on Vikings receiver Sammy White that sent White's helmet absolutely flying was shocking. At first I honestly thought Tatum had actually separated Sammy's head from his body! After that hit you just knew the game was over, it was like the Vikings were there to play a game and the Raiders D was there to decimate the enemy. Also, after giving Lynn Swann 2 concussions in 2 years ('75 & '76) Steelers coach Chuck Noll began referring to Tatum-Atkinson as the "criminal element" in football. Everyone wants their safeties to be feared and cause opposing receivers to develop 'alligator arms' across the middle...but when your brutal play is so over the top that a respected coach starts calling you criminal, you've won the battle of intimidation.
    Last edited by Dennis.1960; 07-12-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •