• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam_Z
    Banned User
    • Dec 2004

Gary Barnidge could be emergency option for Denver Broncos

A quick interesting read that was posted on Google news tonight about the Broncos and acquiring Gary Barnage if they choose to go that route.

Not trying to sound like a sourpuss but Would it be so bad to release players such Heuerman or Derby in favor of signing barnidge?

I understand that they've yet to have the chance to show what they can do on the field but would it not make more sense to sign Gary Barnidge who would automatically add another threat for the Broncos on offense while Jake but recuperates and get accustomed to things at the NFL level?
  • beastlyskronk
    Football Immortal
    • Jun 2007

Well Barnidge is kind of a one hit wonder that came out of no where. His general lack of interest around the league seems to imply that they don't think he can replicate those numbers

Comment

• -Rod-
      #TeamBroncos
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
      Not trying to sound like a sourpuss but Would it be so bad to release players such Heuerman or Derby in favor of signing barnidge?
      Yes, it would be very bad and it would not make any sense.
      sigpic

Comment

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2017

[QUOTE=Sam_Z;5588818][url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/predominantlyorange.com/2017/07/11/barnidge

I think Derby will be a Great TE. Jeff Heuerman well the verdict is still out. I need to see if Jeff can stay on the field or will be another Corey Lattimore? I am kind of on the fence with Gary Barnidge with the feeling that he might just be another Peyton Hillis aka one hit wonder.

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
          Football Immortal
          • Dec 2012

I think we have the TEs we need. How many are we going to keep? I suspect, due to Butt we will likely start the season with 4 on the roster unless Butt is moved to IR/PUP? Krieger-Coble has possibilities along with Steven Scheu as well. Considering Barnidge is at the later part of his career and the prospects we have on the team - Heuerman and Derby - I wouldn't want to give up on them ... yet. Maybe consider him IF the TEs we have are just not cutting it but I like the group we have at this point.
          sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
            I think we have the TEs we need. How many are we going to keep? I suspect, due to Butt we will likely start the season with 4 on the roster unless Butt is moved to IR/PUP? Krieger-Coble has possibilities along with Steven Scheu as well. Considering Barnidge is at the later part of his career and the prospects we have on the team - Heuerman and Derby - I wouldn't want to give up on them ... yet. Maybe consider him IF the TEs we have are just not cutting it but I like the group we have at this point.
            Seven TEs are headed to TC. If the plan is to use a lot of 12 personnel formations with two actual TEs, two deep would be four. That gets into the whole offensive side of the prospective roster. If they keep four TEs, how many RBs, WRs, OL and QBs? We'll need to see if Jake Butt's rehab is complete. I guess he could start the season on IR. Krieger-Coble and Scheu were on PS last year. I suppose one or both might end up there again.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
              Football Immortal
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Seven TEs are headed to TC. If the plan is to use a lot of 12 personnel formations with two actual TEs, two deep would be four. That gets into the whole offensive side of the prospective roster. If they keep four TEs, how many RBs, WRs, OL and QBs? We'll need to see if Jake Butt's rehab is complete. I guess he could start the season on IR. Krieger-Coble and Scheu were on PS last year. I suppose one or both might end up there again.
              Yes, I guess the TE position will be one of the hardest to determine who and how many to keep. Do they decide that before determining how many WRs to keep? I am assuming that we will definitely keep a FB Janovich and I don't see us using 22 personnel very often; maybe in short yardage situations only? It will be interesting to see what happens with Butt, with a FB and Butt on a reserve list maybe they go with only 3 TEs. BUT, looking at the OL situation I think there is a decent possibility of keeping just 8 and stash some on the PS ... McGovern can play all the interior positions on the line and Schofield can backup the right side. That leaves room for 4 TEs no matter what they end up doing on Butt.
              Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• peroberts2191
                Practice Squad
                • Jun 2017

I thought the same thing back when we didn't really make a splash in free agency, before the draft. Jake Butt is a phenomenal player when he is healthy. I watched the kid play at Michigan and he is really special. If he can get back to 100% and spend some time behind a couple of the vets learning the blocking schemes, he could be a real weapon. Something we've missed from the TE spot the last 2-3 years. Derby showed flashes of brilliance. I think with in McCoy's system he can really shine.

I like the way our TE room looks right now. I liked the idea of Barnidge, but I think after the draft we are setup well for the future.

Comment

• underrated29
                  Why did the fans get Dumb
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                  https://www.google.com/amp/s/predomi...ldnt-hurt/amp/

A quick interesting read that was posted on Google news tonight about the Broncos and acquiring Gary Barnage if they choose to go that route.

I understand that they've yet to have the chance to show what they can do on the field but would it not make more sense to sign Gary Barnidge who would automatically add another threat for the Broncos on offense while Jake but recuperates and get accustomed to things at the NFL level?

Yes it would be smart and great to add Barnidge. I doubt we do it.

Also- You do not cut Derby or IRman for him. You cut Virgil, krieger coble, or one of the other scrubs we have. Not one of our 2 best TEs (which is not saying a whole lot)
                  So far:
                  FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                  1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

• MHSalute
                    Ring of Famer
                    • Feb 2011

I would start Butt on IR and go with Barnidge, Derby, Green, and Heuerman. It is kind of a make or break year for Heuerman imo and with Green set to be a FA after this year... Feel a vet TE will also help out the young QBs and the young TEs progress. Down for this signing.
                    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                      Football Immortal
                      • Jun 2007

If we're going to sign a TE I'd prefer it to be LaDarius Green

Comment

• Murph2432
                        Playmaker
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                        If we're going to sign a TE I'd prefer it to be LaDarius Green
                        Get a guy who can even get on the field. Makes sense

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
                          Get a guy who can even get on the field. Makes sense
                          Vs a guy that took 7 years to do anything on the field and only produced on a bottom feeder team forced to pass a lot. Barnidge is the Brandon Lloyd of TEs. At least Green has potential, Barnidge best days are behind him

Comment

• Bterres105
                            Special Teams
                            • Oct 2014

Vs a guy that took 7 years to do anything on the field and only produced on a bottom feeder team forced to pass a lot. Barnidge is the Brandon Lloyd of TEs. At least Green has potential, Barnidge best days are behind him
                            Would rather have that than a guy who's next hit to the head could end his career. Green has had one too many concussions. I doubt he ever plays again.

Comment

• Murph2432
                              Playmaker
                              • Sep 2008

7 years but at least he did something. What has Green done? You'll take potential over a guy who has proven he can do it and doesn't have an injury history? Make sense lol. Both of them started their careers very similar and that's sitting behind a pro bowl TE their first four years.

Comment

Working...
                              X