Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Any "Sleepers" On the Roster?

I was looking over the roster wondering who might be there to compete for some backup positions. Do we have anybody that can seriously compete to change the roster depth? Do we have some players that will surprise in preseason and nab a spot on the roster? LB seems to be a spot that we may need some more depth with Barret being banged up?
    I would call these players "sleepers", not really known right now but might be known by the end of preseason.

A player we brought onto the PS last December sounds like he could compete is ILB Kevin Snyder
    6'2" 245lb, 4.58 40, 2.61 20 yd, 1.56 10 yd, 4.31 20 yd shuttle, 7.09 3-cone. He has the physical tools to compete. Has PS time with NE, 49ers and Lions. Active for 1 playoff game with NE, no snaps. Has practiced at LS but has never done it in a game. Said to be a good ST player in college. Hasn't actually played in a regular season game in the NFL, only preseason. For an ILB he has good speed and size, could have some potential. I will be watching him in preseason.

At OLB without a healthy Barret we could lack depth. We brought in Kasim Edebali to compete, he has some time with the Saints - 3 years - has 2 starts in that time, on a team that didn't have a very good defense the last couple of years or more. At 6'2" 253 he is a little short for the Bronco's OLB position but so is some one like Doom. I'm not too confident he is a good option if Barret can't go early in the season.
    Ken Ekanem a UDFA Virginia Tech rookie; who knows, I am interested in seeing him play in preseason.
    Deon Hollins, doesn't have the size for OLB at 6' 230. Quentin Gause?
    I hope Barret is ready early in TC, I don't see a sleeper at OLB on the roster right now. Maybe I'm missing somebody?

Ronald Leary clearly will get the starting job at one of the guard spots, but I think someone like Billy Turner might step his game up and start at the other spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    Ronald Leary clearly will get the starting job at one of the guard spots, but I think someone like Billy Turner might step his game up and start at the other spot.
    Yes, Turner has a shot. I haven't heard anything on him during OTAs but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Garcia definitely needs to step up his game to keep both McGovern and Turner from beating him out at G. Turner has some experience but is said to be a zone scheme blocker which might not fit great with the Broncos expected scheme. The OL battles will be interesting to watch.

Probably not a true under radar player but I think Jordan Taylor is going to have a break out season

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Probably not a true under radar player but I think Jordan Taylor is going to have a break out season
    Yes, I expect Taylor to be the 3rd/4th WR on the team. He may have some competition from Carlos Henderson but I think Henderson will need some time to develop his route running this season. Maybe the more "pass happy" type of offense will get Taylor more targets? I agree that he has a good chance to have a "breakout" season... I kind of have relatively high expectations for Taylor.

Jamal Carter
    Tyrique Jarrett
    V.Dora

I think each of these guys has a real shot to shine. I've heard nothing but good things from many on these boards about Carter. Dora if memory serves was even at one point promoted to our 53 man roster last season and played rather well in PS. The most intriguing player for me is still Jarrett. If he can last from a conditioning perspective he could be an eye opener for us. He is quite quick for his size and is a true NT type.

Others I just simply expect to take the next leap:

J.Taylor
    J.Simmons

I also think it worth mentioning that I think Doss will likely not do well and begin to slide. We may see a different rookie CB take his spot IMO. Instincts can take you a long way but I fear that his on field speed (Which we saw struggles with) might come back and bite him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Jamal Carter
    Tyrique Jarrett
    V.Dora

I think each of these guys has a real shot to shine. I've heard nothing but good things from many on these boards about Carter. Dora if memory serves was even at one point promoted to our 53 man roster last season and played rather well in PS. The most intriguing player for me is still Jarrett. If he can last from a conditioning perspective he could be an eye opener for us. He is quite quick for his size and is a true NT type.

J.Taylor
    J.Simmons

I also think it worth mentioning that I think Doss will likely not do well and begin to slide. We may see a different rookie CB take his spot IMO. Instincts can take you a long way but I fear that his on field speed (Which we saw struggles with) might come back and bite him.
    I wouldn't call Justin Simmons a sleeper considering I believe he "broke out" last year. That's just my opinion, I suppose if we have different definitions of what a sleeper is, you could consider him one.

And I think Doss' issue is more of a change in direction rather than straight speed. Not that he's the fastest by any means.

I'm excited to see what Henderson can do with a few touches per game

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Jamal Carter
    Tyrique Jarrett
    V.Dora

J.Taylor
    J.Simmons

I did miss Vontarrius Dora at OLB. IIRC he looked pretty good in preseason last season. We were fairly deep at OLB last season and he did not make the final 53 and got a spot on the PS, but I see he did get promoted to the active roster in December and was active for 1 game. Will need to keep an eye on #59 this preseason too.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    I wouldn't call Justin Simmons a sleeper considering I believe he "broke out" last year. That's just my opinion, I suppose if we have different definitions of what a sleeper is, you could consider him one.

And I think Doss' issue is more of a change in direction rather than straight speed. Not that he's the fastest by any means.
    Right and whether we go man or a different defensive style he needs to have the ability to keep pace and make a play...i have not seen him do that yet and yet I have seen him struggle...significanly at times during plays.

I do not know much about each player at the positions but I expect a TE to be more productive in general this year...maybe multiple ones.

Also think there will be more RB action out of the backfield...who will benefit from this...maybe Charles? Dunno...also not sure if that could be considered breakout.

We will work hard on the slot....that may be another WR...it may be Sanders.

Also expect someone on the OL to step up in our eyes....if we get lucky it will be the nations eyes. There is just too much room for this to happen to think it will not...but I know I waited forever for some good pass rushers...

With all the talent around them it is likely to think someone on the DL will step up this year. So many different people have the opportunity. I think DeMarcus Walker will shine a bit in 2017 but I think 2018 will be his true breakout year.

edit - guess neither of the guys I mentioned are sleepers...
    Last edited by Hadez; 07-13-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    All that is required for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    If they don't end up cutting Taylor in favor of Lattimer. 😏

I'm going to say that Carlos Henderson is the most likely sleeper here...! Yep Carlos Henderson 👍🏽

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post

I thought Will Parks outplayed Justin Simmons last year personally

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I thought Will Parks outplayed Justin Simmons last year personally
    You're totally allowed to feel that way. I disagree though.