Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What was your fav. Come from behind victory in Broncos history?

So the reason I'm posting this here in the smack section is due to the fact that there were many come from behind victories in Denver broncos history, most credited to John Elways brilliance against AFC west opponents. By placing the thread here will give some of our most hated and bitter rivals (AFC west) a chance to voice their opinions on the subject as well.

So my favorite come from behind victory happened on January 4, 1992, The Drive II.

Most team should had realized that after the first "Drive" that even though Elway and the Broncos were pinned to their two-yard line, you absolutely could not count him out.
    The now defunct Houston Oilers were here squaring off against the Broncos at old Mile High in the AFC Divisional rounds.

Going into the fourth quarter the Broncos trailed 24-16, but Elway would soon rally his troops back to life.

The Broncos got the ball back with 2:07 left in fourth quarter at their own 2-year line trailed 24-23. Unlike the first drive, Elway had to overcome two fourth downs to keep Denver's hopes alive (who'd better than Elway)? He converted the first on a 7-yard run and the second on a 44-yard pass to Vance Johnson.

David Treadwell would then drill home a 28-yard field goal with 16 seconds left to give the Broncos a 26-24 victory.

I was very young at the time and I vaguely remember most of the game but I remember the final drive of the game and how exciting it was.

Please drop in your all-time favorite come from behind victory for the Denver Broncos.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 07-14-2017 at 02:24 PM.

I like the epic comeback we had during the Manning era against San Diego.

The original Drive is still #1 to me but I remember going to a game at old Mile High against Washington in 95'. It was my senior year so a group of friends went. Not necessarily a comeback being it was 31-31, but the last play of the game was a deep touchdown, and the first one for Rod Smith.

The touch down bombs were the best. I remember the opening play from super bowl XXII as a kid. It's too bad we lost but at that moment it was like "we so got this"!

Sorry the vid is of poor quality but it's the only one that the site would let me post.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 07-14-2017 at 06:45 PM.

This was a fun one.

ADOPT A BRONCO=GARETT BOLLES

And of course there was the great come from behind where Tom Brady let a lowly Brock Osweiler come back and beat him, a victory that would eventually give us home field advantage and a path to the Superbowl.

How can the Holy Stokley not be mentioned? Not a significant gAme by any standard, but what a fluke play and crazy ending...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    How can the Holy Stokley not be mentioned? Not a significant gAme by any standard, but what a fluke play and crazy ending...
    Because that season sucked... Was it a great moment? Sure, but it was part of just an abysmal season.

I'm with Sam_Z on this one...The Drive II (though not just for that final 98 yard winning drive)

I remember the game just like it was yesterday - and have it on VHS that I drag out from time to time. That game seemed impossible to win almost from the start and was one of those "I've got a really bad feeling about this" days. Warren Moon was on fire (ending with a QBR of 118.4) and after 2 quick possessions the Oilers took a 14-0 lead. It looked like we had no chance to stop their "fun bunch" run-n-gun 5 WR attack and with Le-Lo Lang, Charles Dimry & Randy Robbins in our defensive backfield it didn't look like we had the personnel to match up. On offense we began looking awful as Oiler DT Ray Childress was blowing us up repeatedly and looked unblockable. When we finally did put an answering TD drive together...Kubiak got a lousy snap for the extra point and couldn't get it together and Treadwell missed. Down 14-6, that 1 point loomed large the entire game.

Also, the TV crew that day was Charlie Jones & Todd Christensen. No problem with Charlie but former Raider Christenson was the biggest Bronco hater I'd ever heard in the booth (yes, he was much worse than Phil Simms in that KC game a couple years ago). All game long he kept singing the praises of Warren Moon and was completely insufferable after the Oilers jumped to the 14-0 lead. "Warren deserves a SB, Warren this, Warren that"...It got so ridiculous that by the 3rd quarter even affable laid back Charlie was calling him out, "sounds like you're a huge Warren Moon fan", etc. It only made me want us to beat the Oilers even more just to shut Todd up.

As the game wore on, we caught a lucky break when Ray Childress had to come out for a lower back strain...once he was out we were able to piece together some offensive success. Still, Elway had a lousy day ending with a QBR of 80.0, 1 pick and 1 TD. As the game wore down mid Q4, Elway either got sacked hard or threw a real lousy pass (I'm not sure which) and as he turned to the Oiler bench, the TV showed Oiler trash talking WR Ernest Givins (or maybe it was DB Cris Dishman) pointing at Elway and laughing. That's when I thought: There was your big mistake Oilers, Elway's going to make you pay and we're going to come back and win this one! When the ball for our final drive landed at the 2, I knew we had them right where we wanted them! Though I didn't know it would take 2 desperate 4th and 10 plays to do it

If I remember correctly, the FG snap situation was so horrific all game Reeves had us go for the game winner on 3rd down. And don't forget...Kubiak got another lousy snap on the game winning FG but was somehow able to get it vertical enough for Treadwell to kick it through!

This was symbolically an important game for me for a personal reason too. I was fighting to come back from a workers comp injury that my Mgr and project leader both thought was too serious to return from. They both were very vocal to me and personnel that they wanted me to give up my job and go on permanent disability so they could replace me, but I thought I could make it work and wasn't willing to throw in the towel until I was convinced I couldn't do it. When I saw Elway having such a lousy day, getting beaten up and laughed at by the Oilers, constantly insulted by Todd Christenson on TV BUT STILL never giving up and winning in the end...wow...it was so inspirational! I moved my Elway poster from home to my office and used what I saw in that game as strength to fight a hostile work environment. I returned from my injury and remained in that job until I decided to quit 8 years later to start my own tax and bookkeeping business.

Thanks John
    Last edited by Dennis.1960; 07-15-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

TIE:

SB 32 & TT beating CHI in 2011, since I live near CHI, and there are were a lot of critics with my family & friends
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

The Drive 2 was my Favorite as well. I would have to put the comeback vs the Chargers as well. I still have that one in my dvr
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

I love that it is all bronco fans in here!!!! Go Broncos,lets have a Broncos meet up sometime this summer? Maybe the denver beer co or governors park? Something! 👍🏽

Digging this thread!

My favorite was "The Drive." Just a timeless heartbreaking dagger for the Browns. Elway's quote from the two yard line, "we got them right where we want them" - vintage Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I love that it is all bronco fans in here!!!! Go Broncos,lets have a Broncos meet up sometime this summer? Maybe the denver beer co or governors park? Something! 👍🏽
    Cheers to that!

The trolls have been rolled.