Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Cheers to that!

The trolls have been rolled.
    The boys in this section are good at what they do! Frey, stacks, rastic and your right, they roll the trolls on the daily!

Digging this thread!

My favorite was "The Drive." Just a timeless heartbreaking dagger for the Browns. Elway's quote from the two yard line, "we got them right where we want them" - vintage Elway.
    Keith Bishop said that, not Elway
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Keith Bishop said that, not Elway
    You're right. I always thought it was Elway.

Digging this thread!

My favorite was "The Drive." Just a timeless heartbreaking dagger for the Browns. Elway's quote from the two yard line, "we got them right where we want them" - vintage Elway.
    Actually, Elway wasn't the one that said that, though many people attirubute that quote to him. In the mid 90's "Elway's Greatest Comebacks" video John tells the story and attributes the brilliant quote to Guard Keith Bishop
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Actually, Elway wasn't the one that said that, though many people attirubute that quote to him. In the mid 90's "Elway's Greatest Comebacks" video John tells the story and attributes the brilliant quote to Guard Keith Bishop
    Thanks to you and Hum for the correction.

The Drive has attained almost mythical status in football lore...each retelling gets more fantastical than the last.

Thanks to you and Hum for the correction.

That quote has definitely taken on mythic status. A couple years ago the newspaper sports writer who covers the Seahawks up here retold the story and also said it was Elway's quote. I sent him an email to give him the straight scoop and he never wrote back...guess he couldn't handle the truth - as Jack Nicholson might say

I remember my heart absolutely sinking when the Browns Brian Brennan caught the late Q4 go ahead TD over Dennis Smith. Then when we blew the kickoff return and wound up at the 2 my heart sunk even deeper! I felt sick to my stomach...I wish Keith Bishop had been in my livingroom to tell me, "We got them right where we want them"

That quote has definitely taken on mythic status. A couple years ago the newspaper sports writer who covers the Seahawks up here retold the story and also said it was Elway's quote. I sent him an email to give him the straight scoop and he never wrote back...guess he couldn't handle the truth - as Jack Nicholson might say

I remember my heart absolutely sinking when the Browns Brian Brennan caught the late Q4 go ahead TD over Dennis Smith. Then when we blew the kickoff return and wound up at the 2 my heart sunk even deeper! I felt sick to my stomach...I wish Keith Bishop had been in my livingroom to tell me, "We got them right where we want them"
    You wouldn't think that it would be a "good" thing (being pinned on your own two). It just made the comeback all the more legendary.

They don't hand out boxes of Comeback Crunch to just any quarterback.

You wouldn't think that it would be a "good" thing (being pinned on your own two). It just made the comeback all the more legendary.

They don't hand out boxes of Comeback Crunch to just any quarterback.

Damn I remember those, kind of like captain crunch,

Ima go get me some peanut butter captain crunch...

Never saw the cereal in the SF bay area, they were too busy stocking the shelves with, "Joe Montana Is Not The Most Overrated QB Ever Crunch"

My already high opinion of Mr Bowlen went through the roof when the Broncos released this:

It was 1993 and after our 3 super blowouts and a couple average seasons there was real concern that Elway would never get another shot at a SB win. There was a lot of discussion at that time of whether a QB belonged in the HoF if they never won a SB and I was very concerned that Elway would get passed over. I always thought the timing of the release of this tape was Mr B's way of trying to cement John's legacy as one of the greats, SB win or not

The chargers 2012 game is my favorite by far in terms of Broncos games, I'm quite certain this one's from the same game ....

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian

Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers

How about the Miami game where we turned to Tebow in 2011?

That was the probably the most horrendous game I've ever watched, until there were 3 minutes left. First team since the merger to win a game when trailing by 15 points at the 3 minute mark. That win started what was one of the most entertaining seasons in my fandom.

Oh and the wobbly pitch and catch to Daniel Fells at the 7:30 mark was unbelievable.

Never seen a game turn around like that one did.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakka27 View Post
    How about the Miami game where we turned to Tebow in 2011?

That was the probably the most horrendous game I've ever watched, until there were 3 minutes left. First team since the merger to win a game when trailing by 15 points at the 3 minute mark. That win started what was one of the most entertaining seasons in my fandom.

Oh and the wobbly pitch and catch to Daniel Fells at the 7:30 mark was unbelievable.

Never seen a game turn around like that one did.
    The look on Elways face at the end of that game was priceless. If I remember correctly I think it was suck for luck all over the radio that year but anyway If anyone has the still, please post.

I'm with Sam_Z on this one...The Drive II (though not just for that final 98 yard winning drive)

I remember the game just like it was yesterday - and have it on VHS that I drag out from time to time. That game seemed impossible to win almost from the start and was one of those "I've got a really bad feeling about this" days. Warren Moon was on fire (ending with a QBR of 118.4) and after 2 quick possessions the Oilers took a 14-0 lead. It looked like we had no chance to stop their "fun bunch" run-n-gun 5 WR attack and with Le-Lo Lang, Charles Dimry & Randy Robbins in our defensive backfield it didn't look like we had the personnel to match up. On offense we began looking awful as Oiler DT Ray Childress was blowing us up repeatedly and looked unblockable. When we finally did put an answering TD drive together...Kubiak got a lousy snap for the extra point and couldn't get it together and Treadwell missed. Down 14-6, that 1 point loomed large the entire game.

Also, the TV crew that day was Charlie Jones & Todd Christensen. No problem with Charlie but former Raider Christenson was the biggest Bronco hater I'd ever heard in the booth (yes, he was much worse than Phil Simms in that KC game a couple years ago). All game long he kept singing the praises of Warren Moon and was completely insufferable after the Oilers jumped to the 14-0 lead. "Warren deserves a SB, Warren this, Warren that"...It got so ridiculous that by the 3rd quarter even affable laid back Charlie was calling him out, "sounds like you're a huge Warren Moon fan", etc. It only made me want us to beat the Oilers even more just to shut Todd up.

As the game wore on, we caught a lucky break when Ray Childress had to come out for a lower back strain...once he was out we were able to piece together some offensive success. Still, Elway had a lousy day ending with a QBR of 80.0, 1 pick and 1 TD. As the game wore down mid Q4, Elway either got sacked hard or threw a real lousy pass (I'm not sure which) and as he turned to the Oiler bench, the TV showed Oiler trash talking WR Ernest Givins (or maybe it was DB Cris Dishman) pointing at Elway and laughing. That's when I thought: There was your big mistake Oilers, Elway's going to make you pay and we're going to come back and win this one! When the ball for our final drive landed at the 2, I knew we had them right where we wanted them! Though I didn't know it would take 2 desperate 4th and 10 plays to do it

If I remember correctly, the FG snap situation was so horrific all game Reeves had us go for the game winner on 3rd down. And don't forget...Kubiak got another lousy snap on the game winning FG but was somehow able to get it vertical enough for Treadwell to kick it through!

This was symbolically an important game for me for a personal reason too. I was fighting to come back from a workers comp injury that my Mgr and project leader both thought was too serious to return from. They both were very vocal to me and personnel that they wanted me to give up my job and go on permanent disability so they could replace me, but I thought I could make it work and wasn't willing to throw in the towel until I was convinced I couldn't do it. When I saw Elway having such a lousy day, getting beaten up and laughed at by the Oilers, constantly insulted by Todd Christenson on TV BUT STILL never giving up and winning in the end...wow...it was so inspirational! I moved my Elway poster from home to my office and used what I saw in that game as strength to fight a hostile work environment. I returned from my injury and remained in that job until I decided to quit 8 years later to start my own tax and bookkeeping business.

Thanks John
    That was a great story Dennis...Thanks for sharing!

Mine is the drive on the Browns game. Elway just had Marti Schottenheimer number, from when he coached in KC and then in SD and Browns.
    I think Elway cause Marti to retire. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
    Mine is the drive on the Browns game. Elway just had Marti Schottenheimer number, from when he coached in KC and then in SD and Browns.
    I think Elway cause Marti to retire. Haha
    I think he retired by the time Marty was coaching in SD but I could be wrong.