Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Sloter

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...oter-cardinals

Very interesting comments about last night's game and Sloter's play.

I think at the end of the day, his roster spot will be based on if Elway can live with cutting his loses with Lynch.

Making Sloter back up basically ends Lynch chances of being the starter and making him a bust.

We probably could still get something for him. A few teams out their with trash back ups worst than Paxton. I mean Dan Orlovsky and Brian Hoyer still have jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    I think at the end of the day, his roster spot will be based on if Elway can live with cutting his loses with Lynch.

Making Sloter back up basically ends Lynch chances of being the starter and making him a bust.

We probably could still get something for him. A few teams out their with trash back ups worst than Paxton. I mean Dan Orlovsky and Brian Hoyer still have jobs.
    I didn't see the game last night but from what I read it seems like Sloter was very good, which means he's probably forced his way into the 53 rather than the Broncos signing a veteran backup until Lynch is healthy. I don't think Lynch is going anywhere, too early to give up on him already. Next year at this time would be different.

As for Sloter, great story, maybe he turns out to be the next Romo? As in UDFA that has a long and prosperous career.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylan View Post
    To be fair, TS and Lynch have both struggled against second stringers this preseason too. I don't think anyone is claiming this kid is the next Elway or manning but I think he should at least be given a shot. He's shown he's better than lynch at the very least.

If Lynch was putting up the exact numbers that sloter has so far, even against the 2nd and 3rd string, the coaching staff would have named him the starter already. This is purely a case of prioritizing draft status over talent which I understand to some extent but at some point you have to let facts and not pride dictate decision making. This isn't politics after all.
    I'm not bashing Sloter, I like him. I'm just kinda trying to taper some expectations around here. I've seen so many 3rd string QB's turned into football royalty by fans. It's rare to see them climb the ladder to starter. Only time I can think of is TS and even he is potentially a temporary solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm not bashing Sloter, I like him. I'm just kinda trying to taper some expectations around here. I've seen so many 3rd string QB's turned into football royalty by fans. It's rare to see them climb the ladder to starter. Only time I can think of is TS and even he is potentially a temporary solution.
    Colt McCoy has been the stud of the entire league in a couple of preseasons.

But when given the chance to start in a few regular season games against the 1's he has never panned out.

Just furthering your point about 3's that don't climb the latter by the way. Well actually early on he was probably never lower than a 2. And he was drafted high. So maybe not a good point of what you are talking about.

I don't think Sloter should be starting or anything like that - yet. I just think he deserves to make the 53 and has looked noticeably better than Lynch. I'd be fine with him as the #2 going into the season.

Sloter looks to be more than sufficient to be the backup for at least 2-4 games. He did not look to good in the 1st quarter last night, might consider that AZ had some 2nd stringers in there during the 1st quarter? Then 3rd and "4ths" the rest of the way, I think its safe to say that the almost all the AZ players that Sloter played against will not be getting any significant time, if any time on the field at all this regular season. Still Sloter played well enough overall that he is at least sufficient as a backup the first 1/4 of the season. If Seimian goes down the Bronco's season is likely not going to be good no matter who else they might have to take his place.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I don't think anyone's calling him a starter Frey, it's just rather apparent that he's considerably further along than PL given what we've seen in a very limited trial.

PL was straight up awful for those few minutes of that third game, as usual...Point being, the bar isn't set real high right now.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Sloter looks to be more than sufficient to be the backup for at least 2-4 games. He did not look to good in the 1st quarter last night, might consider that AZ had some 2nd stringers in there during the 1st quarter? Then 3rd and "4ths" the rest of the way, I think its safe to say that the almost all the AZ players that Sloter played against will not be getting any significant time, if any time on the field at all this regular season. Still Sloter played well enough overall that he is at least sufficient as a backup the first 1/4 of the season. If Seimian goes down the Bronco's season is likely not going to be good no matter who else they might have to take his place.
    So he’s perhaps achieved the rank of “second string?” Able to dominate the 3’s but questionable against the 2’s.

I’ll take him as our backup…honestly, I see more upside in this kid than I do Lynch. But I do agree, I think we would struggle with either if Trevor went down.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    And what would that say to the team? Along with the Ward cut? Not sure it says if you play better than your competition you're still gone.
    I could understand the Ward cut because of the cap space and we having depth at the position. But Sloter who out played Paxton Lynch and making less money would be a no brainer.

Sloter is legit. Sure it was against non starters. However, he was making reads and timing perfect passes before receivers even made their cuts. Even starters would have a difficult time stopping that. The perfect strike in the endzone between the defenders was amazing. He pass the eye test for me and i wouldnt be shocked if he becomes the starter sometime in the future for us or another team.

So here is my break down of our qb situation. Trevor is a smart guy and knows the system. Digs into the play book and it shows. Arm strengh is ok.

Lynch has a rocket arm but either lazy when it comes to studying or just a slow learner.

Sloter seems to be in the middle of those two. Better arm then Trevor. Smarter (or more dedicated) then Lynch.

Sloter, why you have to hurt me so bad?

I can tell you what I'm not doing. I'm not coming to this thread if I see Sloter's name is on the waiver list. I wouldn't be able to handle the sky is falling negativity for an unstaffed rookie qb. Lol. I also like Sloter quite a bit. But, still. I'm also a very positive person overall, so I don't like negativity in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Do you think he even makes the cut? He did not do himself any favors last night.
    Trading Sambrailo might save him.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I'll chime in on this. From what I see Sloter has upside. You give him time he can maybe groom into a starter in this league.

You look at intangibles and how well he can read a defense. He can throw it, goes through progressions, and knows where to go with the ball. The kid shows promise and that's what you look for in a Qb.

Does he have the it factor? I say yes. I watch him get fired up after TDS or a big play. He has a chip on his shoulder I sense that he plays with an edge. What you do under the bright lights is what matters and he had a heck of a preseason.

Just off that he's worth keeping around cause he can get better. We want that from Lynch but I'm not sure if he can attain it. I'm not giving up on Lynch but so far I know two qbs who's shown more than he has. Kelly hasn't even played yet so it'll be tough.

I'd just hate to release Sloter at this point. I'd Ike to see more of him before we make the decision to part ways and or cut him. He's earned a spot on the team as far as I'm concerned. Kid won't clear waivers someone will take him.
    Last edited by Broncoyearound; 09-01-2017 at 01:38 PM.