Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Confidence makes a QB, team MUST name a starter this week.

Stink hit the nail right on the head today during "UNDISPUTED", The team must throw its full support behind a QB, quit being gunshy and name a starter.

I am ready as of today, to make the call on Paxton Lynch: He will never become what the Broncos (Elway) belive he can become and truth be told, neither will Trevor.

This is becuase the front office will try to make Lynch something that he is not, that will be the undoing for Trevor. I understand that competition is good at all positions, but if what we belive to be true is true...this team can win today, veterans are are on defense, and to force them to undergo a developlental QB will throw this team into more of a tailspin.

This squad needs all the reps it can take, splitting reps will rob the team of being as in sync as possible.

I think Vance already knows who the starter is going to be. He is just giving Lynch every opertunity to show something. Preseason is more important for the rookies than anyone else. Both are getting the reps, they just take turns which team they get them with. This can be good for the second string players as they will develop timing with the QB. Injuries will happen and this way the second string can step right in. It may take away a few first team reps from the starter, but in the long run it will help the team as a whole..

I imagine the whole team already knows who's the starter. Just finishing out the last section of the competition to give Lynch every possible chance.

Well then, it shall be Sloter. With Trevor # 2 - It's like the TD days - why delay the inevitable?
    And cut / trade / release Lynch and Booker while were at it.

They will make a decision after this week. As nice as it would have been for our starter to not have to share reps. One more week to finish the competition isn't going to be the difference between making the playoffs or not. If it was, we don't really deserve to make the playoffs anyway.

Siemian's the starter. That's obvious, or at least it's obvious Lynch isn't a starter. The players know who the starter is, and the QBs do too, even if it's not announced until after the next game. I disagree with needing to announce it now because it's very likely more than 1 QB will start for the Broncos this year. The oline looks shaky again, and depth is scarce. The probability of QB injury is high. With a shaky oline, questionable dline also lacking depth, and the QB situation, this team could struggle to win games, which would also lead to a QB change. So having QB2 get some reps with the first team O in preseason game 2 seems prudent. Game 3 will be Siemian running the O for the first half+.

I never thought Lynch would give TS a serious challenge for the starting position, that said Lynch cold still emerge in a year or two as a decent QB, but think we should have dealt him this past draft and added another rookie that could contribute to a SB run/
    I do think if Kelly matures over the next year, he will put up a serious challenge to TS next year, but i believe also that TS will be a better QB this year than last year...a nice bar to set for the challengers. As crazy as it might seem, we could have Kelly/Slotter as our #1 and 2 in 2018.

IMO Elway whiffed on Lynch and Watson, but this years draft class will more than make up for it.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

The decision has already been made for Lynch to start game 2, I doubt they change their minds. Trevor improved every game last season and looked good against Cincy throwing for over 300yds and a NFL QB rate of 132.1, 8.9yds per pass attempt and was looking great against Tampa - 141.7 QB rate - before the injury. Later in the season Trevor had some decent-good games too. He is in a new offense, but has plenty of time to put it together still.
    We have a more than capable QB with plenty of potential in Trevor with some good depth that also still has plenty of potential. The OL still needs to play better, when they do Trevor will also get better. Everybody on the offense is in a new offense except for Green and DT, it can take some time to gel and they will.
    This team will be in the playoff hunt and is capable of doing some damage in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    The decision has already been made for Lynch to start game 2, I doubt they change their minds. Trevor improved every game last season and looked good against Cincy throwing for over 300yds and a NFL QB rate of 132.1, 8.9yds per pass attempt and was looking great against Tampa - 141.7 QB rate - before the injury. Later in the season Trevor had some decent-good games too. He is in a new offense, but has plenty of time to put it together still.
    We have a more than capable QB with plenty of potential in Trevor with some good depth that also still has plenty of potential. The OL still needs to play better, when they do Trevor will also get better. Everybody on the offense is in a new offense except for Green and DT, it can take some time to gel and they will.
    This team will be in the playoff hunt and is capable of doing some damage in the playoffs.

In fairness though, while Siemian did well against the Bengals and The Bucs, neither had good defenses. Football Outsiders and ESPN rank the Bengals at 17. TB is ranked at 13 by FO and 23 by ESPN. I think ESPN is just stats, nothing weighted, so I am a bit apt to lean more toward FO's, they had a much better pass rush, which is what broke Siemian's collar bone.

He looked like he was on the uptick, but two games are a small sample size to make any reasonable guesses at Siemian's future in the position.

The new offense under McCoy is supposedly QB friendly. How offensive-friendly are our QBs though?

Expect some bumps.

One wonders.

It wouldn't shock me if the decision has already been made and has been told to Siemian and Lynch but not to the public. I think at this moment Siemian has the better handle on the offense and can perform better for us. Unless something drastic happens in the upcoming game I think it's Siemian's job and I think he will perform a lot better than people think.

To me it comes down to whether or not we have a running game. If we can run the football somewhat effectively then I kind of like Lynch in that scenario because he brings another rushing element scrambling for first downs in those third down passing situations. I think that's a better shot a keeping the chains moving, but if he cant go through his progressions and make simple reads then what's the point? At least Siemian has NFL QB competency 101 down, we can't really say the same about Lynch until he shows us something on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    In fairness though, while Siemian did well against the Bengals and The Bucs, neither had good defenses. Football Outsiders and ESPN rank the Bengals at 17. TB is ranked at 13 by FO and 23 by ESPN. I think ESPN is just stats, nothing weighted, so I am a bit apt to lean more toward FO's, they had a much better pass rush, which is what broke Siemian's collar bone.

He looked like he was on the uptick, but two games are a small sample size to make any reasonable guesses at Siemian's future in the position.

The new offense under McCoy is supposedly QB friendly. How offensive-friendly are our QBs though?

Expect some bumps.

One wonders.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah ... I am staying positive! We are undefeated. So is every other team (not counting preseason) but that's not the point.

Trevor's first 4 starts he improved relative significantly. Might have been a different season if he hadn't been banged up. He will stay healthy this season; my crystal ball says so.

At least the comments are ... less negative.

the physical ability,a good mind for the position,game and a good work ethic make a QB. Not confidence. For goodness sake Sanchez and Leaf both ooze confidence

The coaches dont "have to name a starter this week" and wont.
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

To add another wrinkle if this is truly an open competition then one should and could soundly argue that Slotter did well enough to at the very least be given a few reps with the two's. Again this is assuming we are truly treating this as an open competition.

I will be curious to see if Lynch can improve from his poor performance vs Chicago but the only measure we and the coaches have aside from practise are these preseason games for evaluation.

If I were in VJ's shoes I'd likely put Lynch in with the 1s if he plays well you leave him in for just shy of his 1st quarter. Then put Trevor in give him some time with 1s again (seeing if he can keep up with Lynches play) and then leave him in in the 2nd with the two's. With the last 4 minutes or so put Slotter in. Depending on the level of play of the three QBs. VJ may well need to test Slotter in place of Lynch or Trevor with the 1s and 2s. Again assuming this is an open competition. If Slotter doesn't play well and the other two do then obviously those comments change.