• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HUMCALC
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Do you have a guard? If so, was it measured via muscle relaxants, in trying to find exactly where your muscles need to be. This aligns with the guard design. I know it works because it can completely change my facial pains within a day or two.

In older times, folks like Burt Reynolds suffered with it for a long time, because there was no such relief known to all. The problem is, the guard design process can cost a fair amount, and if you do additional work on your teeth afterwards, your dentist has to make sure the guard will still fit afterward, or else we are talking new guard. But a dentist who knows both TMJ and regular dentistry can keep things aligned.

Yes, advil and other meds may help, but they are not the ultimate solution. Having a device designed to cause your muscle memory to bite properly is the solution.
    No, I don't use a guard. If I did I couldn't type anymore, and I would deprive everyone of my posts In reality, I don't use a guard because I wouldn't be able to watch TV or type at all
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
      No, I don't use a guard. If I did I couldn't type anymore, and I would deprive everyone of my posts In reality, I don't use a guard because I wouldn't be able to watch TV or type at all
      Makes sense. How about if you wore it infrequently, like when you might clench a little too much? Like when you aggravate the muscle situation. Is that even a little worthwhile? Sleeping is best, because folks have no idea of what goes on when asleep.

Whatever works!:thumb:

Comment

• HUMCALC
        Football Immortal
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Makes sense. How about if you wore it infrequently, like when you might clench a little too much? Like when you aggravate the muscle situation. Is that even a little worthwhile? Sleeping is best, because folks have no idea of what goes on when asleep.

Whatever works!:thumb:
        I use my mouthstick (which would interfere with the guard) for approximately 9 hours a day, but I guess that I could try it at night
        "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
          I use my mouthstick (which would interfere with the guard) for approximately 9 hours a day, but I guess that I could try it at night
          As long as it is safe to do so, right?

Comment

• CanDB
            Football Immortal
            • Mar 2008

It has to fit tight^^^^^^

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

^^^^HC...please ask those closest to you if that is a good idea. It sounds good, but guards are different. Just want to make sure you are doing what is best for you.:thumb:

Comment

• CanDB
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2008

Well....next week I get my tooth fixed. I am pretty impressed with myself actually, as I have gone 5 months without chewing with my incisor. That takes some discipline and maybe some dexterity don't you think?

A few times food has connected with the cemented on tooth/crown from the underside, and I thought it would be enough to knock it out....but luckily I made it to another dental insurance year. Hey, kept my smile, so I guess it paid off. Can't wait to actually chew with it again!

Have to add to my resume.... (< with all teeth intact...but not for chewing!!))
                Last edited by CanDB; 01-08-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• CanDB
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2008

I have one more appointment, to get the permanent crown for my tooth. Fortunately, the dentist was able to utilize whatever was left from my broken tooth and believe that no further work need be done, albeit I will never bite down on an apple with this tooth ever again. Not that you may care, but it looked like either an implant or bridge, but this dentist felt confident we could make it work. He dug a little higher up, but managed to keep the look very similar.

So....in March (earliest I could get), after waiting for over 7 months, I can chew food with some confidence that my tooth will not come out. No chomping, just in case, but otherwise pretty lucky!

Comment

Working...
                  X