Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time to Burn Down the Hall of Fame

Pat Bowlen and Randy Gradishar snubbed again.

Seems any mediocre Packers/Cowboys/Steelers player can make it into the half of fame.
    Bowlen has almost a hundred more wins and more super bowl appearances than Jerry Jones, and he was pioneer in the NFL TV contract. How is jones, who is a terrible person by the way, get in before Bowlen.

*Im joking about burning it down, just used the title to catch some attention from the qb arguments*
    Last edited by Bterres105; 08-25-2017 at 12:05 PM.

I don't know about burning it down, but something needs to be done. The Seniors Committee have a lot of good candidates to choose from. Gradishar and Louis Wright should be in the discussion. So I understand if they don't get picked. But there are no more deserving contributors than Pat Bowlen.

So what can we do?? I think we could organize a boycott of the HOF. That won't sting enough though. So maybe we need Jeff Legwold and Woody Paige (Denver's two selectors over the past 30 years) to spill the beans and name names. The HOF Selection Committee prides itself on secrecy. Woody and Jeff have acted accordingly and left the discussions in their voting room. Where has that gotten us? A couple of HOFers and a region full of broken hearts.

I want Jeff and Woody to break the vow of secrecy and tell the world what really happens.

I wish people would just stop caring about the Pro Football Hall Of Fame. It's just a media circle choosing their friends and the players from the teams they like. As if a player like Terrell Davis or an owner like Pat Bowlen needed the recognition from that specific media circle to validate their accomplishments. I would not care one bit if they removed all Broncos material from their Hall. Their opinions and votes are irrelevant to me. Oh, so this is your Hall Of Fame? Whatever.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I wish people would just stop caring about the Pro Football Hall Of Fame. It's just a media circle choosing their friends and the players from the teams they like. As if a player like Terrell Davis or an owner like Pat Bowlen needed the recognition from that specific media circle to validate their accomplishments. I would not care one bit if they removed all Broncos material from their Hall. Their opinions and votes are irrelevant to me. Oh, so this is your Hall Of Fame? Whatever.
    I wish I could have that opinion. But I believe that an eternal distinction of greatness warranted for so many deserving Broncos is too much to ignore when it is deprived. Enshrinement in the Hall of Fame brings extra honor to those men and their teammates, as well as their families and friends. To see the Selection Committee routinely enshrine less deserving Steelers, Cowboys, etc. while depriving our best Broncos is to horrendous to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Exactly right. The hall of fame is nothing but a group of the "East Coast/Population Center" sports media that makes certain that the players they've seen the most on TV, or from their home team, gets in. And for me, the likes of a really BAD human being like Jerry Jones getting in, is the last straw. I'm lucky to have a long history in Oil and Gas, and am aware of how Jerry Jones made his fortune by screwing a bunch of people, and Taxpayers, in an Arkansas gas deal. That guy should never have been allowed to own an NFL team, much less get into this joke of a hall of fame.

And a class act like Pat Bowlen (not to mention Randy Gradishar), who isn't likely to be around much longer, gets snubbed. Just freakin' amazing.

Mr. Bowlen being snubbed again is a joke and absolutely ridiculous. Unbelievable!

I read Bobby Beathard's contributions and didn't really see them except what he did for his teams, nothing about his contributions to the league at all.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 08-25-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Jerry Jones in there before Pat Bowlen is a crime against humanity. Jerry Jones makes me nauseous in general.

Instead of burning the HOF down, I’d rather this fuel us to burning the league down on the field and take SB52. Which would further cement our beloved and legendary owner’s legacy as the biggest snub in HOF history. And while accepting the trophy, Elway addresses the HOF voters for their snub. That’s the best way to go about pressing the issue to the league that it’s time for a change in the voting process. Win and run their nose in the stink that they create.

Snub or not, Mr.B is the greatest owner in all of Pro-Sports!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Jerry Jones in there before Pat Bowlen is a crime against humanity. Jerry Jones makes me nauseous in general.
    And Eddie DeBartolo (who was forced to give up ownership of the 9ers for ties to professional gambling) getting in before either still makes me sick
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

Being a Hall of Famer does not make Pat Bowlen and his legacy any greater than it already is. In fact it's the other way around - inducting Bowlen would make the HOF slightly more honest and respected. Few owners have done more or had a more lasting impact on the NFL than Bowlen and the annual snub of the selection committee once again shows it does not really place a high value on individuals who have made their jobs relevant.

Players covet induction in the Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame doesn't define a player, rather it provides very special recognition of accomplishments.

I prefer not to diminish another player's accomplishments when a Broncos player is not recognized.

The accomplishments of Mr. Bowlen and players like Randy Gradishar speak for themselves. It was nice to see Terrell Davis inducted because it meant so much to him and his family.

The Broncos Ring of Fame is even more significant IMHO. The lobby at Dove Valley is also very special in terms of recognizing the franchise and players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bterres105 View Post
    Pat Bowlen and Randy Gradishar snubbed again.

Seems any mediocre Packers/Cowboys/Steelers player can make it into the half of fame.
    Bowlen has almost a hundred more wins and more super bowl appearances than Jerry Jones, and he was pioneer in the NFL TV contract. How is jones, who is a terrible person by the way, get in before Bowlen.

*Im joking about burning it down, just used the title to catch some attention from the qb arguments*
    Enshrining Jones was a monumental mistake,

This year's induction of Bobby Beathard...I cannot disagree with,

That said, I do agree that the Hall is a joke.
    Last edited by MH Stampede; 08-27-2017 at 11:54 AM.

The only reason I can think is that they didn't like that fur coat he was wearing in Cleveland during "THE DRIVE"
    I think he was clapping and saying "c'mon Johnny boy"
    Or something to that effect.
    Other than That, I see no other reason for him not already being in The HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
    The only reason I can think is that they didn't like that fur coat he was wearing in Cleveland during "THE DRIVE"
    I think he was clapping and saying "c'mon Johnny boy"
    Or something to that effect.
    Other than That, I see no other reason for him not already being in The HOF.
    I believe the highlight film shows him yelling, "C'mon Sammy Baby" after Winder caught that 1st pass of "The Drive"...but ya, that fur coat was really something! Come to think of it, I believe that was the first time I ever saw an owner on the field rooting on his team before the game ended. Can anyone comment on whether Mr B was the 1st to do that?
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

Angry

300 wins in his first 30 years; the only owner in NFL history to pull such a feat.

.612, behind only the San Antonio Spurs for best-winning percentage in pro sports over the last 30 years.

18 playoff appearances

13 division titles

Seven Super Bowl appearances

Seven AFC titles

Five losing seasons

Four different head coaches to lead his team to the Super Bowl. The only owner in NFL history to pull such a feat.

Three Lombardi Trophies

This is a crime : Both former NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol and former Fox Sports chairman David Hill have cited Bowlen as one of the most important figures in the NFL’s string of record broadcast rights deals. Bowlen has long been considered the leading voice in the NFL’s efforts internationally; the Broncos were regulars in the first series of “American Bowl” games played overseas in the preseason.

In all, he served on nine committees with the league.

“He was here every single day, and that’s not always the case with an owner,” Ellis said as training camp opened. “His success with this organization speaks for itself, 300 wins in 30-plus years. More Super Bowl appearances than losing seasons. … He deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That’s as much as you can say. You can’t kick and scream, but I think they know that and I’m hopeful that this year is his year.”
    Aside from turning the Broncos into an NFL powerhouse, Bowlen has been integral in the success of the league in general. During his time he has served on many NFL committees. As the chair of the NFL Broadcast Committee, Bowlen was responsible for the NFL’s $18 billion T.V. contract. This contract was the most lucrative single-sport contract in history, and while everyone loves to give Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft all the credit, Bowlen was in the meeting rooms making deals.

And oh Yeah the genius Beathard traded up to get Ryan Leak - How did that work out? Plus in Leigh Stienbergs book he told this story of the ruse Beathard pulled to get Leaf :“If you go to the combine,” I told Ryan, “but fail to show up for a meeting with Mora, that should do it. Jim is a real prideful person who has a tendency to explode. I am not recommending you do this, but if you are desperate to go to San Diego, this is the way.”

Ryan approved, but I first cleared the idea with Chargers general manager Bobby Beathard, lest San Diego also question my client’s reliability. Beathard went along with the ruse. If he’d had a problem, Ryan would’ve shown up for his meeting with Mora.
    Bronco Bob