Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    And if you can get a higher pick for him now (even if it's conditional) doesn't that balance out the comp pick? But again keeping a player over a possible comp pick is a terrible way to choose the final 53.
    No, it's not just about the pick. We need Ward this season to have depth in the safety rotation. It's about winning games this season. Ward is the starting SS and he can also play nickel LB. Are you saying there isn't a meaningful way to use Ward? I'm saying the Broncos should improve the depth at safety before losing a player like Ward. He makes the team better this season.

Obviously, Elway won't re-sign Ward in 2018, so let him leave via free agency. I don't see the value of getting a conditional late-round pick pick to lose a player like Ward when the #3 and #4 options at safety would be Parks and rookie Jamal Carter. I'd rather have Ward on the field for one more season and then let him be part of the compensatory-pick equation.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    No, it's not just about the pick. We need Ward this season to have depth in the safety rotation. It's about winning games this season. Ward is the starting SS and he can also play nickel LB. Are you saying there isn't a meaningful way to use Ward? I'm saying the Broncos should improve the depth at safety before losing a player like Ward. He makes the team better this season.

Obviously, Elway won't re-sign Ward in 2018, so let him leave via free agency. I don't see the value of getting a conditional late-round pick pick to lose a player like Ward when the #3 and #4 options at safety would be Parks and rookie Jamal Carter. I'd rather have Ward on the field for one more season and then let him be part of the compensatory-pick equation.
    I'm saying that Ward has missed a lot of practice time this summer and the young guys have had the chance to show what they can do. IF the Broncos feel that he's been surpassed on the depth chart by the young players, then it makes sense to move him now.

Ward wasn't very good last year, despite his relatively high tackle numbers he also had a high number of missed tackles and wasn't very good in coverage. I believe that he should be replaced by youth at this point. If he does remain in Denver I hope he proves me wrong, but I see a player on his decline.

Trade him to the Jets for Richardson so he can teach Maye and Adams the ropes. He could be a good mentor for their two high round Safety picks. Plus we get a boom bust DE in a contract year. We can see if he wants it or not...and if we let him walk we will get a comp pick.
    New England Patriots GM

Just heard there seems to be a very good chance we end up cutting Ward.

Idk, again the coaches have a better view of this and if Parks or Simmons has surpassed Ward in ability to make an impact then I guess it wouldn't make sense to keep him at his current rate to be a backup. But I still think Ward provides a physical presence for us and I wouldn't want to let him go if he can help us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    Just heard there seems to be a very good chance we end up cutting Ward.

Idk, again the coaches have a better view of this and if Parks or Simmons has surpassed Ward in ability to make an impact then I guess it wouldn't make sense to keep him at his current rate to be a backup. But I still think Ward provides a physical presence for us and I wouldn't want to let him go if he can help us this season.
    Yup, Klis said it. Said there is a 95% chance we cut him. Thanks for the memories Ward, you were a good dude, but it's business.

If he's cut doesn't he get paid anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    If he's cut doesn't he get paid anyways?
    No. He received a $5 million signing bonus that was split across 4 years. His salary for 2017 is scheduled to be $4.5 million with nothing guaranteed. So if he's cut his entire salary is off the books for 2017 with $1.25 in dead money from the 4th year of his bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    No. He received a $5 million signing bonus that was split across 4 years. His salary for 2017 is scheduled to be $4.5 million with nothing guaranteed. So if he's cut his entire salary is off the books for 2017 with $1.25 in dead money from the 4th year of his bonus.
    Ty that's makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    Trade him to the Jets for Richardson so he can teach Maye and Adams the ropes. He could be a good mentor for their two high round Safety picks. Plus we get a boom bust DE in a contract year. We can see if he wants it or not...and if we let him walk we will get a comp pick.
    I think Bronco fans are overvaluing Ward at this point in his career - I get he is a heart and should type player, but the Broncos wouldn't get more than a 5th/6th round pick for Ward.

Jets trading Richardson for Ward makes no sense either as Richardson is an ascending player and Ward is likely descending and in the last year of his contract with no assurance he will stick around. I like Ward as a rotational piece (Nickel LB), but I don't think he is a full time starter on most teams. He is best used in the same way the Patriots use Patrick Chung - a 3rd safety that plays in the box with McCourty and Harmon back deep in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by bgpatsfan View Post
    I think Bronco fans are overvaluing Ward at this point in his career - I get he is a heart and should type player, but the Broncos wouldn't get more than a 5th/6th round pick for Ward.

Jets trading Richardson for Ward makes no sense either as Richardson is an ascending player and Ward is likely descending and in the last year of his contract with no assurance he will stick around. I like Ward as a rotational piece (Nickel LB), but I don't think he is a full time starter on most teams. He is best used in the same way the Patriots use Patrick Chung - a 3rd safety that plays in the box with McCourty and Harmon back deep in coverage.
    I hate agreeing with a pats fan, but I agree. Some of these fans are looking at it with their hearts, not their brains. Ward isn't worth nearly as much in the real world as he is in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by bgpatsfan View Post

Jets trading Richardson for Ward makes no sense either as Richardson is an ascending player and Ward is likely descending
    While I do agree with this but one is also making almost 4 million more. So while Ward is prob worth a 5/6 round pick and Richardson asking price from the Jets is a 4th, the money owed to Richardson may balance that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I hate agreeing with a pats fan, but I agree. Some of these fans are looking at it with their hearts, not their brains. Ward isn't worth nearly as much in the real world as he is in our hearts.
    Hahaha I try to avoid the smack section as much as I can because it just tends to be a troll off between some pats fans and broncos fans. But I feel like most fans are reasonable.

Today is the day we find out if TJ gets traded or cut.....

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago

The #Broncos have informed three-time Pro Bowler and all-pro safety TJ Ward that he's been released, source said.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Thanks Boss, it was a nice run!!! You were an integral part of the team. Good luck!!
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter